4 Lessons Designing Our Minimalist Landscape Front Yard

4 Lessons Designing Our Minimalist Landscape Front Yard

After 7 years in our home, we finally finished our front yard landscaping. I went for a mรญnimal Xeriscape type design using a variety of native or drought tolerant plants.

Plant list:
Magnolia Little Gem trees
Jacaranda trees
Mexican Fence Post Cactus
Artichoke agave
Blue Flame Agave
Coastal Rosemary
New Zealand Flax
Red Cordyline
Salvia variety (exact name unknown)
Native grass (exact name unknown)
hesperaloe parviflora

Groundcover – Decomposed granite in Palm Springs gold
Mexican Beach Pebble

// Connect
๐Ÿ–ผ๏ธ Print Shop https://jenniferjsullins.com/printshop/
๐Ÿ“ธ Instagram https://www.instagram.com/jenniejsullins/
๐Ÿ“’ Blog https://jenniferjsullins.com/

// Affiliate Disclaimer
I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services linked above. Your purchase helps support my work without any additional cost to you.

// Music by Epidemic Sound

1. Lauren Nemecek on May 17, 2022 at 7:40 pm

Look at you go Jennie! Loved this! Great job on your first video. ๐Ÿ˜Š

2. Pink Elephants on May 17, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Key tips Jenny. That strip alongside the house is pretty two dimensional in design terms. It’s a common mistake resulting in a strait jacketed feel. Try to go for odd numbers, not just in plants but in the way you group them & the same goes for larger landscaping items like rocks for example. For example: 1’s, 3’s, 5’s, 7’s, 9’s, 11’s & so on for some reason always feels better & this can also apply in a more formal design, although not always. If you move some of the cacti forward from the house to give it a more curvey S3XY flow it should work better.
    Also minimalistic planting doesn’t mean under planting as has happened in in your front garden. Another common mistake with novice gardeners, resulting in a mean, unbalanced look; as though the home owner ran out of cash or they were a landlord too mean to shell out to get the job done properly. There’s plenty of excellent garden design books on Xeriscaping which is climate appropriate for your area. Your dark beach pebble mulch under the windows looks great but in your climate you might find that it acts like a storage heater & make the house hotter than it needs to be, whereas the light coloured mulch you’ve used elsewhere will reflect heat away from the house. Please don’t misunderstand me. Not trying to be mean, just helpful. I’ve been gardening for years & have made plenty of my own mistakes. Have fun.

3. Viraj Sonatkar on May 17, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Hey Nice video watching from India ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ

4. T Estes on May 17, 2022 at 7:45 pm

Love the walk pavers! Where did you find those please?

5. JK Trkng on May 17, 2022 at 7:45 pm

less talk more instructions

6. Chayce Cole on May 17, 2022 at 7:45 pm

Everything looks great and goes well together! The Blue Flame Agave are the clear winners!
    Just finished listening to the most recent OLF podcast and I had to come check out the channel! Here’s to the start of something great!

7. Ben Louis Koppetsch on May 17, 2022 at 7:48 pm

Can’t wait to see more videos from you.โ˜บ๏ธ

8. Kyle Nelson on May 17, 2022 at 7:49 pm

When you free the landscaping data…

9. Shelley Huskey on May 17, 2022 at 7:50 pm

Nice

10. Justin Gibides on May 17, 2022 at 7:56 pm

Jennie has a channel! Nice job on this first video, love how you interspersed the views of the landscape with your explanation.

11. leunglg on May 17, 2022 at 7:57 pm

It looks so awesome. Do you have a plant list somewhere?

12. Matthew Encina on May 17, 2022 at 7:58 pm

๐Ÿ‘Œ

13. Tripplett on May 17, 2022 at 7:59 pm

I notice in Ben’s videos that you have a great personality and voice that is nice to listen to. I just happened to check to see if you had your own channel and you DO! I’m happy you are branching out on your own and very much enjoyed this content. We are also looking to change our landscaping and home design, thanks for all the ideas. Subscribed.

14. Greg Pugh on May 17, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Looking forward to seeing more of your design aesthetic. Keep it up! Youโ€™ll be bigger than Ben in no time.

15. Ron vdS on May 17, 2022 at 8:01 pm

We have lived in our home for 10 years and stopped planting large trees after 3 years and are now regretting that decision. We have a 3 acre residential block and have now, after a long break decided to plant the last of the trees (over 150 trees) we chose some 10 years ago. It would be great to be living with mature trees today and have decided to stay here until my wife retires in 10 years time so we will enjoy this undertaking.
    Loved your first video and hope you succeed with the chanel.

PS: You should try the Australian grass tree in your garden. A desert plant in Australia. It suits the style you are working towards.

16. jojo siva on May 17, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Name of plants in the video

17. Chris Mast on May 17, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Your entire yard isn’t completely just rocks and dirt, right? Your backyard has grass?

18. Tristan Olarti on May 17, 2022 at 8:07 pm

So excited you started a YouTube channel! Insta-sub!

19. AVE MARIA.STAR. on May 17, 2022 at 8:09 pm

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

20. Mark Zanghetti on May 17, 2022 at 8:10 pm

I like what you did and would love to see some views of the whole yard to see the design in larger scale but what I have seen is good. Thank you for sharing your work with us!

21. Epic Gardening on May 17, 2022 at 8:10 pm

1 word….EPIC

22. Keenan Centlivre on May 17, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Not a fan of the yard, but the video quality ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

23. Brian Naranjo on May 17, 2022 at 8:10 pm

The plant you were looking for at 7:34 is indeed a Dracaena (druh-see-nah) marginata. You can usually find them at Home Depot, Lowe’s, Ikea, etc. Grown indoors or in low light, they have dark droopy leaves. This is closer to the form that you see at those stores. However, if you plant one outside in bright light, the leaves will begin to grow a lighter shade of green at they will appear spiky, exactly like the plant at 7:34. I love both forms.

24. KsNoz on May 17, 2022 at 8:11 pm

hope your channel grows fast, good job, i could listen to you for hours XD

25. John PD on May 17, 2022 at 8:13 pm

Great First! ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Definitely look forward for more!

26. Kenya Kramer on May 17, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Love the vibe! Good job! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

27. tony procee on May 17, 2022 at 8:16 pm

Great first video!

28. charles anderson on May 17, 2022 at 8:18 pm

are you doing the landscaping on the new house yet?

29. Stephen Stricklin on May 17, 2022 at 8:19 pm

You did a great job! I’m terrible at design so I’m looking forward to more videos.

30. MsAbdobalooch on May 17, 2022 at 8:25 pm

In 2:50 the plant called red yucca it is desert plant you can Found it in Arizona and border of Mexico

31. 0pt0gy on May 17, 2022 at 8:26 pm

I love those Blue Agaves. Reminds me of going to Big Bend National Park and seeing giant Blue Agaves.

32. Norma Harrod on May 17, 2022 at 8:27 pm

I like all the shots of your yard that you have throughout the video. I love the soft rosemary too!

33. Danny Diaz on May 17, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Great job! Thank you for sharing

34. Catherine Smith on May 17, 2022 at 8:29 pm

The plant you were looking for in the picture you showed is dracaena marginata. If you were looking in the outdoor Nursery section, you won’t find it. It does better as an indoor plant. They don’t like full sun.

35. ryin mcgrath on May 17, 2022 at 8:29 pm

what sand did you use?

36. Vivian H on May 17, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Hey friend! Love your new channel! This was a very informative video and I look forward to future content.

37. Ecospider5 on May 17, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Really enjoyed seeing the different landscaping. I live in Washington so a huge difference when comparing things. I also really hate the non native plants they really do propagate way to fast. Ivy is the worst. 30 years ago they thought it would be great sound barrier around the freeways. Everyone is regretting that now.

38. Pink Elephants on May 17, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Definitely check out Xeriscaping which, if I remember correctly, started in California to cope with low rainfall & has spread around the US and abroad to other low rainfall regions of the world. Enjoy your garden.๐Ÿ˜€

39. Andre on May 17, 2022 at 8:32 pm

First video was good! Look forward to upcoming videos

40. Puru krishnamurthy on May 17, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Sheโ€™s so sweet

41. Andrew Kaylor on May 17, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Congrats on the video release! Well done, looks great & thanks for sharing. Keep the content coming! This video made me want to start up some plants before a future move to a new location.

42. JK ev on May 17, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Looks like you hold a cigarette on the cover image ๐Ÿ˜
    Anyway, I watched some minutes, but this topic isn’t really interesting for me. The video production seems really good๐Ÿ‘

43. David Beal on May 17, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Congrats on your first video. This one I wish Iโ€™d seen before I moved. This had a lot of things I wanted for my old property I left in north Hollywood Ca. I have acquire new challenge living life n the San Bernardino National
    forest. Looking forward to your next video.