My gardening journal tips for beginners or experienced gardeners alike

My gardening journal tips for beginners or experienced gardeners alike

▶The first 1,000 people to use the link or my code thekitchengardenwitheliandkate
get a 1 month free trial of Skillshare: https://skl.sh/thekitchengardenwitheliandkate04221

I’ve been thinking a lot this season about how we can make our gardens better and I truly believe that if you change this one habit you can make your garden the envy of all your friends and make you a much better gardener… 110% I believe that some form of gardening journal is the way to go for all gardeners, beginners and experienced gardeners alike.

The key is how you use it and how you make it suit your needs. I’ve been investigating the reasons why gardeners quit keeping a journal and the reasons why others keep journaling and I’ve tested some of these thoughts on myself where I’ve created a system that works for me either as a notebook or as a digital document. I’ve customised the traditional bullet journalling method and made it simple, efficient and more me. Allowing space for organisation in the form of a planner or garden log and space for reflection, to record what’s happening in your garden and your thoughts.

▶MAKE YOUR OWN COPY OF MY DIGITAL GARDENING JOURNAL TEMPLATE◀

▶THE NEXT VIDEO TO WATCH◀
Create a gardening planting plan: https://youtu.be/UKFoodBN4Sg

▶SUBSCRIBE◀
Please subscribe and we hope you enjoyed this video – it would be extra lovely if you could also SHARE it around – that would be the best present ever.
LINK: http://bit.ly/eliandkate
Go on… watch another video, you know you want to 😀

▶SUPPORT THE CHANNEL◀
Not only does joining us there mean you get extras like behind-the-scenes updates, exclusive news, and a chance to have a say in the videos we make but you’ll be helping us directly to keep creating these videos and blogs and we really, really appreciate it that.

▶LINKS TO OUR GARDENING TOOLS AND KIT ◀
My greenhouse and garden gadgets: http://eliandkate.com/our-gear

▶OUR WEBSITE◀
Our website for our full month to month what to sow guide: http://www.eliandkate.com

▶ CHANNEL BRANDED SWAG ◀
Get your Eli & Kate t-shirts: https://eliandkate.teemill.com/

▶BUILDING OUR COMMUNITY◀
You can help support our channel in three ways that won’t cost you anything extra:
1. Be part of the community by watching, liking, commenting, and sharing videos.
2. Click this link to SUBSCRIBE and click the bell to get notifications when we post new content: bit.ly/eliandkate
3. If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link, it doesn’t cost you anything extra but we get a tiny commission: https://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=arbruidairass-21

Thank you for your support, it means the world to us!

#gardening #scottishgarden #gardenjournal #gardeningjournal #bulletjournal #gardenplanner #zone9 #zone8 #Sowgroweatrepeat

1. Brampton Gardener on May 18, 2022 at 7:40 pm

I worked on my journal yesterday. I had to go back and watch my videos though to write info down ahahhaa.

2. Jason Woods on May 18, 2022 at 7:40 pm

I love your vlogs, you and Kate make alot of sence. and I’m trying to use your advice, but it’s not easy, because of my wheelchair but I’m trying best, and the best advice you gave me was dream big, and that’s what I’m doing, thank you for everything you and Kate are doing, Keep it up 😀

3. Ami Ladybug on May 18, 2022 at 7:45 pm

I have little book that jot things down. Like last year I had awful broccoli harvest and a good friend brought me some crates so I can make a cage . It has come in hand

4. Lord Condio on May 18, 2022 at 7:50 pm

My garden diary is a must for me, keeping track of the daily weather, what I’ve sown, planted what worked, what didn’t. To do lists, as my memory is awful. I also use my mobile to take photos of progress, which I keep on my laptop. Great for looking back on. Happy growing. Regards Hamish.

5. Gardener Scott on May 18, 2022 at 7:57 pm

This video is Eli magic! Fantastic! I agree that garden journals are quite important for gardeners and learning from your own experience is key. I love that you show a garden can be so personalized.

6. Gudrun Jabold on May 18, 2022 at 8:00 pm

last year I made a kind of calendar and wrote down which seeds to saw when. Made quite an effort.
    Then completely ignored it all summer . 😂😂😂

7. Christina Queeno on May 18, 2022 at 8:02 pm

I’m a chronic paper journal keeper so a paper garden journal bullet journal style works for me. I also include foraging notes and information about plants in my area and their uses.
    The journal works well for my freeform garden style too since my beds are not rectangular boxes. I can sketch my garden layout on paper easier than trying to do it on the computer.

Always lovely to watch your videos.

8. Baron Wolf on May 18, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Great video Eli. Inspired me to continue journaling!

9. In the Garden with Eli and Kate on May 18, 2022 at 8:07 pm

10. Jenny Johnson on May 18, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Loved this and pleased to say I started a journal this year for the first time. I take photos, print them out and plot my progress as the months go by and see what does well and what doesn’t. Everything has changed so much in the last few weeks!

11. john peters on May 18, 2022 at 8:12 pm

I do not understand why you are trying to make gardening so complicated.
    I do not understand why this will supercharge my growing area.
    We don’t have time to worry about getting on computers trying to do logs or things like that, we grow what we can when we can.
    Down here the weather changes all the time so we do what we can when we can.
    The only way we get any fresh food is to grow our own as most of our fruit and veg comes in from Chile.
    Winter is on way here so we can only grow now in polly tunnels .

12. The Enthusiastic Gardener on May 18, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Hello! I have never kept a garden journal but you’ve made me think what a good idea it would be. You play guitar too!! I think you should give us a song next week 🙏 🎶😊

13. Breahna Lawrence on May 18, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Love this, I keep a garden journal within my regular journal, this is my first year doing so. I have always tried to keep a "plan" type journal and it just didn’t work for me. I love my paper format, it helps me process, but id love to add a digital aspect for pictures and time stamps in the moment.

14. Gabriel Maroto on May 18, 2022 at 8:21 pm

What a Beautiful and clever garden. 🪴 😻

15. Kate Burkes on May 18, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Great video! I just started writing a garden journal this year at the suggestion of a friend. You’re so right – I will never remember all the details of what I’ve done so far this spring, so I look forward to next year when I can look back and see what worked and what didn’t, dates I sowed, etc.

16. Bloo's Self Reliance on May 18, 2022 at 8:25 pm

I find journaling really difficult it requires me to make a plan to do it and ummm yeah im a bit squirrel headed… I do have a seed sowing and harvest log though. I figure that’s a start 😀 😀 😀

17. Buttercup N Bee on May 18, 2022 at 8:27 pm

Thank you, I’ve been thinking about doing this again but have never kept it up for long so I’ve copied your version and hopefully will be more user friendly 👏🏻 liv e your videos keep up the good work 💕

18. Roxanne Loomis on May 18, 2022 at 8:29 pm

I have been gardening for years. This is my VERY first year to keep a journal. Timing is something I am hoping to get better at. Also, I have learned some types are better than others. This last is to remind me what I planted where…. that is crop rotation.

19. Valerie Woodcock on May 18, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Thank you very informative 👍I started off quite well this year but have already fallen behind going to try using my phone 😂

20. Mark's Allotment Plot on May 18, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Fab video 👍

I don’t keep a journal (at the moment) but found this really interesting.

As someone who spends all day on a laptop at work I really like the idea of taking some time to write something down in a notebook as opposed to digitally on a phone etc…

21. Real Food Comes Dirty on May 18, 2022 at 8:33 pm

Excellent video, Eli. I totally agree that garden journals are worth their weight in gold.

22. Valerie Gabriel on May 18, 2022 at 8:33 pm

Hi Eli and Kate
    Thank you so much for taking the difficulty out of garden journaling, seeing an example of yours is so helpful. I hear a lot of gardeners saying do this but no examples 😖😖. Brilliant 👍🏾👍🏾😊😊

23. LLAMA LLAMA on May 18, 2022 at 8:33 pm

There’s something about physically writing things down that helps me retain the information. I prefer not to depend on the tech side because I’ve had too many instances where my phone crashes or I have to wipe it without a backup and I lose my info😭. I have a 4 inch x 6 inch spiral notebook for my daily notes. I have a composition notebook with graph paper to do the drawing/planning. I have a medium spiral notebook that I’ve been writing down all the growing info on particular herbs(especially perennial) and crops and how to use them(medicinally, preserving, recipes, etcetera). Lastly I have a spiral notebook for the weather. Even though I jot down the weather in my daily journal, it’s easier to quickly find the date I’m looking for. Clearly I have a notebook problem🤣. Honestly though, it’s nice to have a reference for each thing so that I can easily find things. I learned this year to underline things like starting, transplanting, potting up, direct sown, etcetera so that they’re easier to find on the page(I have to work with my brain😅) when I want to look back at it in the future. I’m trying to get better on writing down little details that I think I’ll remember(shocker, I never remember). I’ll start documenting bloom times and bugs too, that’s a great idea! Thank you for all of the great suggestions!

24. Christine Brooks on May 18, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Hi Eli, I have a notebook I write notes in and its my bible, I put a list of to do jobs in my phone, so, when I go to the allotment I tick off as I do and if I dont get them all done, keep it on my list for next time I go 🙂 works for me. Thanks for sharing and take care 🙂

25. Rusty Gardeners Place - Ali D on May 18, 2022 at 8:37 pm

😂😂 first 2 years I stop in the first 2 months, I find using my vlogs on YouTube and calendar on my phone work best for tracking what I do in the garden and even in the house in winter when I start seeds. It’s easier to do a search in the phone calendar than searching in a book. But your so right everyone has a way and none are better than the other if they work for you and your needs. I like the video aspect of my garden because it allows you to visually view what you did at any specific time. Thank you for sharing hope you have a great week 🐝 safe ladies

26. Lisa Lightfoot on May 18, 2022 at 8:38 pm

Thanks Eli, my daughter bought me a lovely gardening journal for Xmas,instead of paper everywhere listing bits and bobs I’ve really utilised it like you. I’m literally doing all the good tried and tested then into a spread sheet etc to collate for my paper version that I’ll take out with me.mine also Inc hints and tips from people like yourselves. Thanks for the extra ideas I can include like pests,that’s definitely one I hadn’t included bit super important. 👍❤️