Installing Woven Weed Barrier in the Vegetable Garden

Installing Woven Weed Barrier in the Vegetable Garden

Now that the garden is fenced in, it is time to install the woven weed fabric in the vegetable garden. This weed barrier will make gardening a more pleasant experience, because there will way less weeds. We are reusing the woven ground cover from last year, as well and laying down new weed fabric to cover the entire garden area. We will secure it to the ground with landscape staples and fasten it to the sides the raised beds with furring strips. When we are done, most of the ground will be covered except the small holes we will plant our vegetable plants in.

Our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/countryviewacreshomestead
E-mail us at: countryviewacreshomestead@gmail.com

Send Mail to:
Country View Acres
P.O. Box 469
Robinson, IL 62454

We live in southeastern Illinois on a 41 acres homestead. We just finished building our log cabin overlooking our pond. We are trying to grow our own food and raise livestock. Follow us on our journey living the rural life and developing our property and becoming more self sufficient.

#weedfreegarden
#lessweeds
#countryviewacres

1. Steve Martinez on May 19, 2022 at 7:27 pm

As always you do very nice work. The drone footage was also a nice touch to the video.

2. Marlene Bennett on May 19, 2022 at 7:27 pm

We just rototilled the garden so the dirt and compost is very fluffy. If I roll the fabric out on the fluffy dirt every time I step on it my foot will sink into the dirt. How do I deal with this? Might be a weird question but my husband and I want to do this correctly! Thanks for your help.

3. tom smith on May 19, 2022 at 7:28 pm

Nwo. Hates. This. Channel. A small garden. Can. Create. Huge. Amounts. Of. Organic. Food

4. Fred Hart on May 19, 2022 at 7:29 pm

Wow, beautiful, but any idea just how much money you have invested in the vegetable protection?

5. Chris Chambless on May 19, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Every time he says “weed”, take a drink.

6. Dave Smathers on May 19, 2022 at 7:34 pm

Nice garden my kind of garden did my hole back yard like that cores my yard is only 50×50 with stone love weed free.

7. Peggy Sizemore on May 19, 2022 at 7:34 pm

well I’ll just say this…….I’d even live in Illinois to live on that property, and I’m just a couple hrs away in Indiana along the wabash also😘

8. Planet Mojo on May 19, 2022 at 7:35 pm

That’s a pretty massive garden! I’d like to do a big garden like that. We have the room, but I have no time to can, and my wife won’t do it. Maybe some day — looking fantastic 😊

9. zarah doan on May 19, 2022 at 7:35 pm

Shouldnt u have added compost first? We can’t grow anything in our colorado soil without compost

10. Vinny Pinatelli on May 19, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Awesome garden my wife and i are jealous lol

11. Large Family Rural Living (Evolution ofaHomestead) on May 19, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Great job on the video, hoping to use that material some year soon on our garden. I’ve heard it’s best to pull it up each year so the weeds can’t take hold and grow through, is that something you think will be a problem? I guess there are people who do both, not sure what we will do about that, but excited to be able to get some. Furring strips, awesome idea. Should be nice!

12. Karma Reiki Training on May 19, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Where did you get your staples? What brand? I am in Canada and my fabric keeps blowing up. My staples are not that wide. Oh never mind I just watch more of the video. Thanks for that tip on making my own staples. I am on that!

13. Barbara Gall on May 19, 2022 at 7:39 pm

would this help keep Voles out of the garden beds?

14. Marlene Bennett on May 19, 2022 at 7:40 pm

You have raised garden beds. What are these for? To grow plants for transplanting,? What about growing carrots and onions? Do you plant them somehow in the nursery cloth. What kind of cloth do you use? I’m new at this with a lot of questions. I don’t want my hubby doing a lot of work only to find out we need to do differently. Sorry for all the questions but it’s time to use the garden planner and get my gardens going! Any help would be appreciated.

15. Matthew Besecker on May 19, 2022 at 7:42 pm

Evan, where did you bet that fabric from?

16. Saubree Edinberry on May 19, 2022 at 7:44 pm

Hi there whats make of your fabric the one i get only lasts a year.

17. Yvonne Adams on May 19, 2022 at 7:44 pm

Hi Evan. What is your take on plastic mulch/ground cover?

18. Charles m123 on May 19, 2022 at 7:47 pm

Please do a follow up video curious how it works out

19. 601salsa on May 19, 2022 at 7:47 pm

An alternative is cardboard/brown paper rolls and 12 inches of wood chip. Virtually all weeds will be killed off. It absorbs water when it rains and slowly releases it. Best yet it all compost down and is 100% biodegradable. Helps keep squashes from rotting just like straw wood, you can plant in it (check out Jane’s prigioni yt channel) makes it nice and clean to walk on. Even if a weed grows through it is easy to pick out…. check out Richard perkins ridgedale farm.

20. Special Operations Equipment (SOE) on May 19, 2022 at 7:47 pm

That drone shots sweet.

21. Rob C on May 19, 2022 at 7:48 pm

What is the name of the actual fabric product ?

22. Ann Laughlin on May 19, 2022 at 7:52 pm

What brand of fabric did you use. Looks great. I have a new lot that I’m doing this with. Great info.

23. mossymaple on May 19, 2022 at 7:52 pm

What brand and model fabric

24. K Lat on May 19, 2022 at 7:53 pm

Can you leave it all down for the winter?

25. spirit on May 19, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Indoor garden and microscope. Look at the trees around your property.

26. zarah doan on May 19, 2022 at 7:55 pm

I love it! So neat & clean

27. TheBzybees on May 19, 2022 at 7:55 pm

What size are your staples

28. FattiApples on May 19, 2022 at 7:56 pm

When I tried to burn and cut my weed fabric it would shrivel so bad, yours didn’t seem to do it. Wonder if it was a dud, it was Dewitt sunbelt

29. B. Weezy on May 19, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Before I saw you make the staples I was thinking damn them some crazy as staples. Where do u get them? Lol. Nice job.

30. everybodyluvsmonkeys on May 19, 2022 at 8:00 pm

I totally agree with you. In the long run this will help tremendously with weeding. I’m doing this now so next summer will be no weeds. I’m using this in my walkways between my existing beds an not going to plant in these.

31. Dan S on May 19, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for the video, you gave me some good ideas 💡 👍
    You’re obviously in it for the long haul.

32. Sand Dancer on May 19, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Well I am 50+ years old and I have just learnt something, awesome idea to use a gas torch to cut and seal the weed suppressant

33. JoannaK on May 19, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Everything is looking fabulous. I’ve been following you since day 1 and everything is coming along so beautifully ❤️ my only wish is that you DID put the cloth down in you raised beds due to the fact that I’ve seen them get out of control pretty bad. I, like you Evan, am a slight bit of a neat freak 😂😂😂 No matter and non of my business ❤️ Your channel is AWESOME . Thank you so much for sharing and keeping me entertained

34. dschaechter1 on May 19, 2022 at 8:07 pm

I’m jealous, please put chicken wire around the bottom of the fence, the animals can get through the fence.

35. Paul Maddocks on May 19, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Looks great guna make life easier

36. smart451cab on May 19, 2022 at 8:09 pm

I’m about to give this stuff a try. Just delivered yesterday and not yet installed. My primary problem is torpedograss, and absolutely vicious weed. I hope it can’t get through the good fabric I’ve purchased, but time will tell.

Dayum, crafting your own staples is pretty ambitious. They don’t cost that much.

37. David Stewart on May 19, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an old post but I just stumbled across it. 4200 sq ft garden here and going to try the woven fabric this year. My fabric is 6ft x 300ft and I’ll just cut to length. My question (didn’t see it in any of the previous comments) is how hot does the black fabric get during the heat of summer? Our Oklahoma sun beating down on black material looks like it could create a sauna….
    GREAT work on the design, layout and video work btw! Love all your videos.

38. Jim Sobota on May 19, 2022 at 8:10 pm

What do you think of building a raised bed on top of the fabric? Would the fabric inhibit the growth of the plants, especially vegetables? Thanks

39. brett widenhouse on May 19, 2022 at 8:10 pm

What brand of fabric?
    What weight?
    UV resistant?

Thanks

40. Art, Garden, Food Expressions on May 19, 2022 at 8:12 pm

JUST WOW OH WOW!

41. DANNO on May 19, 2022 at 8:13 pm

Do you pull that up every year or leave it through the winter?

42. carolyn moody on May 19, 2022 at 8:13 pm

New sub…so glad I found channel

43. Tom Tillman on May 19, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Nice setup

44. Homesteadworks on May 19, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Think I would stick with the heavy duty staples, pre fabricated. I bought 200 6” from amazon for $15. They are very heavy wont bend. great investment if you don’t have time to make your own. Loved the video though… thanks for sharing your great garden adventure!
    🤙

45. Michael Chamberlain on May 19, 2022 at 8:15 pm

You should use furring strips on the fence also.

46. Rocking Retirement Outdoors! on May 19, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Good morning Evan. I asked you a few videos back what type of drone you have and I finally pulled trigger and bought the same one. Would you mind making a video with any tips and tricks that you have came across since you’ve had it? I’ve been watching you for years and really like all of your videos. Hope y’all have a great weekend!

47. Danielle Terry on May 19, 2022 at 8:17 pm

This is what I want also figure lay it all out put my raised beds on top and my walk ways put my black woodchips my uncle suggested I also put it on top of my above ground beds it’s what he did also and never has to weed. Saves time and our backs as we’re no spring chicks anymore. Thanks for sharing

48. Mark Pieklik on May 19, 2022 at 8:21 pm

How big is the garden?

49. Andrew Weaver on May 19, 2022 at 8:21 pm

What brand is this fabric? I’ve been looking for something heavy duty like this and in big rolls!

50. tom smith on May 19, 2022 at 8:23 pm

So it’s not as hard as this. Just. Rototil. Your. Grass. In your. Home. Yard. Smooth soil. With dirt. Rake. Buy organic. Liquid. Fish emuulsin. Fert. Immulsion. Buy 10 by. 50. Ft. Role. Of. This. Fabric. Lay down fabric. Burn. Holes. In. Fabric plant. 700. Plants. In. Small. Garden. Enough to. Feed. 3 people for 4 months