Upcycled Garden Planters: P. Allen Smith

Upcycled Garden Planters: P. Allen Smith

Don’t let a lack a space stop you from growing your own pollinator garden. Use containers! They are easy to do and you can make a planter out of just about anything. Here are 3 upcycling projects to try.

Topics Include:
Upcycled Wheelbarrow Garden
Spring Salad Greens
Grill as Micro-Planter
Container Soil
Drainage for Containers
Container Makeover
Planting a Tree Stump Container
Thriller, Filler, Spiller Planting

“When you visit Moss Mountain Farm (www.pallensmith.com/tours), you’ll see that I have container plantings everywhere—on the porch, around the fountain and even in the vegetable and flower gardens. They’re so versatile. Whether you have limited space or you’re trying to do something a little more creative around your garden, containers are the solution.” ~ P. Allen Smith

“Bloom with Us” is a partnership with First Community Bank and P. Allen Smith to design and install pollinator gardens in an effort to raise awareness of the benefits of pollinators.

To learn more:

Want more Allen?
Allen’s Official Website: http://www.pallensmith.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pallensmith
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/pallensmith/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pallen_smith/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pallensmith

1. Happily Content on May 21, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Since we raise cattle all of my upcycled containers are mineral buckets. I love the idea of using the old grill for an herb garden.

2. deborah dee on May 21, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Last year we planted our baby breathes in our broken propane grill, now we can wheel it around our yard for the perfect amount of sun or show it off in the front yard.

3. Elva Gadd on May 21, 2022 at 8:21 pm

Love all this ideas! Thank you so much😊🤗

4. Green Thumbelina on May 21, 2022 at 8:26 pm

How fun Allen, I loved this video! I especially enjoy the look of recycled gardening items used as planters, this year I’ve planted 2 old watering cans (which have sprung leaks) and a wheelbarrow. Other things I’ve planted in the past include a pair of children’s rain boots, a rusty old red wagon as well as 2 teakettles (with drain holes) these items were so cute planted up in my backyard. I love the touch of whimsy these recycled items have add to my garden!. Two years ago I painted my old bike a Metallic Copper (tires and all) then added a front basket and saddle bags over the back fender which I planted it up in red, white & blue flowers for the 4th of July and placed it by my front door. I had lots of people stop by to admire it and a few took pictures! How fun and I got to meet some of my new neighbors in the process!

5. Willothwispl x on May 21, 2022 at 8:28 pm

Cute ideas. 🌞🌻🐝🐞🌷

6. Michigan Mike on May 21, 2022 at 8:34 pm

who would think -wheelbarrows? and a portable grill? oh yes, made my day,

7. Shirley Benoit on May 21, 2022 at 8:40 pm

❤️Oh Yum! Love the idea to walk in the garden for a meal. Walk in hungry – nibble along the way – walk out full. What a lovely idea!😄

8. iddybiddyladybug Leeza on May 21, 2022 at 8:42 pm

I have a wheelbarrow with succulent& & a couple cactus in it 🌵💚🌿

9. DixieGirl9876 on May 21, 2022 at 8:42 pm

Love them! I have one planted with perennials. I also have a old metal concrete mixer container I plant with veggies. I plant in watering cans, old metal chairs (I add chicken wire in the seat area), bird baths, kid wagons, the list goes on.

10. Cottage Keeper on May 21, 2022 at 8:46 pm

This is an amazing video! I have my daddy’s old wheel barrel from the 30s that he made scraps he found on the farm. It has quite a few pinholes in it and works beautifully to grow my herbs in. I hope you are having a lovely summer and getting to enjoying the beauty all around you♥️🌸☀️

11. Dolly Perry on May 21, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Lovely idea…I just happen to have a broken wheelbarrow. That Verbena is lovely. How many seasons will the hollowed out log last before it decomposes? I really really liked this video, useful, quick and short videos (there are long ones I like too ) 🙂

12. jolyndaj on May 21, 2022 at 8:59 pm

My mother used to plant Moss Roses in an old Barbecue Grill. It was beautiful. I still plant those flowers each year. 😊