Raised Garden Bed Spring Preparation

Raised Garden Bed Spring Preparation

Preparing raised beds in spring prepares you for success and gives your garden a great start. Bed repair, soil amending, and mulching gets raised garden beds ready for plants. Gardener Scott explains and demonstrates the steps to improve soil and prepare garden beds before spring planting. (Video #263)

Other Videos:
“Spring Garden Cleanup – Part 1” – https://youtu.be/qWl63qhnvLo
“Spring Garden Cleanup – Part 2” – https://youtu.be/rxkABzQmAS4

Join the Gardener Scott channel to get access to perks. Click the “JOIN” button or link here:

You can also support the channel with Gardener Scott merchandise like T-shirts and mugs at the Gardener Scott Store: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w/store

Click this link to SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w?view_as=subscriber?sub_confirmation=1

To order a GreenStalk vertical garden system, click on this affiliate link:
Use code “GARDENERSCOTT” for a $10 discount.

You can help support the Gardener Scott channel in five ways that won’t cost you anything extra:

1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.

2.) Watch the ads whenever you can. It just takes a few seconds and helps me a lot.

3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

4) Check out Gardener Scott’s Recommended Gardening Books at: https://bookshop.org/shop/gardenerscott

5) Click on this affiliate link to get Botanical Interest Seeds for your garden: https://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=250954&u=2415314&m=28945

Your support helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.

Thank you for your support!

#EnjoyGardening #GardenerScott

Links included in this description and referenced in videos might be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase a product or service with the links I provide, I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you for those affiliate links and your support allows me to provide free content every week on the Gardener Scott channel. Thank you!

1. Heidi Clark on May 26, 2022 at 8:35 pm

Thank You for this timely video! I amended and put straw on my raised beds last fall and was wondering if I should leave it on or take it off now. I will leave it on.I am sure glad I followed your instruction and amended the beds in the fall. I bought lots of organic straw and had trouble with the straw blowing all over my yard. I will have to come up with a solution for that this fall.

2. Hung Le on May 26, 2022 at 8:36 pm

I prepare my raised beds and ground in the Fall and put a thick layer of mulch to protect the soil. Spring is really easy.

3. KJR Channel on May 26, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Just a few days after I sifted compost and fine mulch nature thought she would blow most of it off with 60 mph winds. I know how frustrating losing mulch to wind can be.

4. Mrs B on May 26, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Thank you so much for this video! I was wondering if I could plant my trans plant at her about 6 to 18 in into the garden at night? I’ve heard you should plant them in the morning but I didn’t know why. Thank you so much!

5. Sharon Holmes on May 26, 2022 at 8:41 pm

💚 i’m a little ahead here in Arizona🎋Our last frost date was April 10th. I amended my beds last fall, pine needles, eggshells, and old leaves. No grass clippings here, lol. This spring my beds are looking and feeling great! Yes, I feel the soil with my bare hands and it feels good!.

6. Jesus IsGod on May 26, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Where I live there are many trees and my garden is surrounded by walnuts, maple, crabapple, elm, and a whole host of weeds and wind! We built a raised bed a year to have a better chance at growing. My soil is mostly clay and the garden is on a hill, no flat space anywhere! We filled the beds with the best soil mix we could afford. But I’ve noticed the beds began to get weedy! So now I cover them with a cloth to keep the seeds from collecting in the beds! My! What a difference!

7. Zarthalad on May 26, 2022 at 8:42 pm

I really enjoy your channel, Scott.

8. Lowcountry Gardener on May 26, 2022 at 8:42 pm

WOW still 6 weeks away from planting… I feel for you northerners with a short growing season. I’ve already got my garden fully planted here down south. Then again, we here down south do suffer with the long summers of heat and humidity. Come July and August much of our summer crops come to a stop because it’s too darn hot.

9. Mark C on May 26, 2022 at 8:45 pm

Will the white mold that forms on the peat pots hurt my tomato seedlings?

10. JByrd on May 26, 2022 at 8:46 pm

What type of straw should we add (or how to prep it so it doesn’t grow weeds) I like to stay organic, however one year I added alfalfa straw and weeds grew like crazy!

11. G Money on May 26, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Hi Scott! Question for you.. if by turning over the weeds or old plants can benefit the soil, how is it possible that it won’t regrow again?

12. Matthew Farrell on May 26, 2022 at 8:47 pm

We are in the middle of Autumn prep for our beds, just working each bed over the last few weeks to swap our warm weather crops for cool weather ones. It’s sad pulling out the watermelon vines, but we have now lost most of the heat and are down at the 15 to 20c temp range (59-68F). So in goes more organic material, and carrots, onions, cabbages etc. We don’t really got cold until winter really hits, 1000+ chill hours and never below 0c tho lol

This year I am trying new varieties of veggies, I have the greatest hope for the Giant Japanese snow peas lol

13. RockinL7BuckingBulls on May 26, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Hey Scott. I was just looking over my raised beds thinking, it’s almost that time and BAM there’s your video. Thank you for your time and effort’s. Now to start mulching.

14. paula theriault on May 26, 2022 at 8:49 pm

I started no-dig gardening in my raised beds. Last fall I added a couple of inches of homemade compost and topped with shredded leaves. I have just received some 6 yr old cow manure. Much of the leaves remain. Would you suggest I add some of this manure over top of the leaves or should I remove leaves and add manure or would it be too much to plant into the manure and best to wait to add it in the fall? Your thoughts please.

15. live not on evil on May 26, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Is "dirty mulch" ok to cover my newly filled gardens? I had bushes ground up and then I removed all the chippy soil, replacing it with soil that grass will grow in.

The dirty mulch I removed is just sitting unused in my yard.

16. Dan Koerner on May 26, 2022 at 8:50 pm

Love your videos! Wish I could find straw around here but all we have is wood chips (which are good too but break down slower)

17. Todd from California on May 26, 2022 at 8:50 pm

I’ve always been leery of using cinder blocks or galvanize metal in my vegetable garden for fear of leaching posable chemicals . Am I worried for nothing ? With the prices of lumber these days I would like to try a different type of material for my raised beds . Very nice garden area you have started Scott, Thanks for your informative video’s .

18. Sizzlemynizzle on May 26, 2022 at 8:51 pm

You dont want Robins eating ur worms either huh? It’s so painful seeing those plumb well fed robins decimate all the worms in my raised beds. But I want to get my plant starts in before i mulch. I know I could just move over the mulch and just plug them in. Probably should do that

19. Joe Smith on May 26, 2022 at 8:53 pm

Thanks Scott this weather here has been hard with snow tonight my new flower bed is in need of love, between that and lawn it’s going to be a great year!

20. Anthony Del Rio on May 26, 2022 at 8:57 pm

Showing how to cut and dry a multiple chited potato was extremely helpful. I did that for my first time this year and was worried that when the cut turned black after a couple days left to dry that it might be mold and render it inedible. Thank you

21. Bryce Capocelli on May 26, 2022 at 8:58 pm

Hey Gardener Scott. What would you recommend for irrigation in a raised bed? Used your videos to get an 8×4 put together but I’m not sure if I should manually hose water or do drip irrigation? Thanks!

22. Galamander _ on May 26, 2022 at 9:02 pm

My back hurts just seeing The Maestro working with that short handled digging fork. LoL Wonderfully thorough educational video, as always. Thank you.

23. Jack T on May 26, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Definitely looking into repairing my bed boards and trying to keep them from splitting given the incredibly price of lumber. Just replaced my two oldest 4×4 beds and the lumber cost $70!!!

24. Pops on May 26, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Scott what about your early/cool season beds? I’m on the Colorado Front Range as well and cool season planting is tough with 70 -80 degree days followed by 15 degree and snow.

25. Tami on May 26, 2022 at 9:08 pm

I’m having trouble with my beds pooling in low spots and water running to corners. My husband leveled all the beds when making them but I didn’t level the soil well, obviously. Do you have a video that shows how to level the soil and make sure the soil in the beds is level after they have settled? Thanks!

26. Shady Field Homestead on May 26, 2022 at 9:09 pm

I have everything going really well right now. At the end up spring and summer when I amend my beds, what should I do with the layer of straw I have on my beds? Should I remove it first, or mix it into the new soil/compost? Never mind minute 9:27 you answered my question. I’ll leave this up anyway

27. Jason Morrow on May 26, 2022 at 9:09 pm

Perfect timing as always! I was just about to go outside and randomly decide what to do to prepare my raised beds. 🙂

28. mbgardner B on May 26, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Gardner Scott, what did you do with the garden that last Fall you added compost, leaves, perlite, and peat moss. You turned so that there was only a little bit of soil on top. Now dou need to turn it and mix the layers or just sow seeds directly in it?

29. NFmilitia on May 26, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Hey so I’m building some garden beds for tomatoes and peppers and I’m not sure what kind of dirt to put in them. Would a top soil and compost mixture 75/25 do? I’m sure you have a video talking about this but can’t seem to find it since you have so many videos which I LOVE.

30. ivan55599 on May 26, 2022 at 9:10 pm

13:05 – is that case (putting to soil 1-2 months before) also with biochar?

31. Trần Thị Duyên on May 26, 2022 at 9:11 pm

Vườn rau nhà anh thật rộng lớn quá

32. Jane Danish on May 26, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Thank you for all your expert advice. Love your videos. May I ask your advice? I’m new to raised bed growing and I plan to use the hugelkulture method to fill my bed. 1/3 wood products/leaves, 1/3 top soil and 1/3 compost (Mels mix). My bed is 8x4x16". Am I on the right track? Is mushroom soil ok to use as the compost, mixed with peat moss and vermiculite? How much top soil and compost should i get? Thank you!

33. Florida Girl on May 26, 2022 at 9:15 pm

As always. Another great vid! I’m with you on the straw! In Michigan I had access to it. Now in FL, it’s something I don’t see. Found a compressed bag of it at TSC. $13 🤪. Crazy, but I bought it. Down here I harvest slash pine needles. Thanks for your expertise! Love your channel! Have a great sunshiney day!

34. Stephen Hope on May 26, 2022 at 9:15 pm

I hope you are starting new composting bins because I hate to see you buying bags of compost. Great vids as usual. I am well along in my garden here in zone 9b Sacramento, I have many flowers on my tomato plants already.

35. Sandra Newkirk on May 26, 2022 at 9:16 pm

Thanks. Nice to see the whole process.

36. Daniel Zikeli on May 26, 2022 at 9:17 pm

Scott man. Lol every time man……. its a good time man. Dig it, grow it , love it!

37. Tassie Girl on May 26, 2022 at 9:17 pm

38. Rowan Kendall on May 26, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Great video!

39. Joanne Cavan on May 26, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Hi there Scott, just watched your video, new subscriber.
    Question for you, the cinder block raised bed. Is it food safe, with the cinder blocks? Thanks for the video.

40. abu osman on May 26, 2022 at 9:22 pm

You told us on the other video, mulches will keep the soil cool and it’s better to remove the mulch close to planting time to warm your soils. Now after you amended it you cover it up with mulch, I am confused and you’re making it hard. By the way, I enjoy gardening

41. Bevie Hunt on May 26, 2022 at 9:24 pm

Is dog poop detrimental to the soil where one wants to grow a vegetable garden?

42. Isabelle Isabelle on May 26, 2022 at 9:24 pm

Last fall I put lots of dried leaves on my garden bed with a tarp on it. The leaves are still on my bed. Should I turn them with the compost or take away the leaves ?

43. Debbie Sirota on May 26, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Should I also add worm castings or bone meal into my compost when amending my soil in spring? Or just add compost alone ? what about alfalfa as a amendment also?

44. EJ Fishes 76 on May 26, 2022 at 9:28 pm

Hi Gardener Scott! Last fall we took all the leaves from our trees and put them in a round chicken wire pen ( I didn’t shred them). If I wanted to use them as mulch on my raised beds, could I shred them now and place them in the beds once I have plants planted?

45. Elena Mazzullo on May 26, 2022 at 9:30 pm

Scott, do you use green manure (siderates) ? If so, which plants should be used for this?

46. KimiyeML Smallgardendream on May 26, 2022 at 9:31 pm

My spring was in March and unfortunately I can’t let my beds rest because we plant all year. Can you touch in what we few can do to amend out beds during the growing season.(all year)???? @gardenerScott

47. GBL— The Ole Church 5 Acre Homestead on May 26, 2022 at 9:31 pm

🇨🇦🧑‍🌾Constructing Raised Beds from Reclaimed Lumber is how we did it. Great video!

48. R B on May 26, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Thank you!

49. Flujackson on May 26, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Scott. I’m going to amend and straw spread on my beds Thursday. My last frost is the same day so we get the snow here for the next 6 weeks too… Happy gardening 🙂

50. Krystal Gayle on May 26, 2022 at 9:35 pm

Thanks Gardener Scott. I learned how to amend my raised bed from watching gardener Scott. I amended my beds in the fall and recently added biochar to it and covered it up with pine straw. I am going to try to incorporate more cover crops this season.