She DOUBLED the Vegetable Harvest by doing this ONE Thing | Summer Garden Tour

She DOUBLED the Vegetable Harvest by doing this ONE Thing | Summer Garden Tour

Since we started our garden in this space 13 years ago, we now grow 2 to 3 times more food from the same amount of space with this one easy tip. Get the vertical GreenStalk Container Tower from my affiliate (I make a small commission and you get a coupon code!) use this coupon code for $10 off : PIONEERING at http://lddy.no/h10b

How Much to Plant Per Person for a Year’s Worth of Food https://youtu.be/e28Yhm1aY_s

Growing Brussel Sprouts [ Increase Growth, Pruning and Harvest ] https://youtu.be/bSjuj8P71C0

Grow More Tomatoes With These Easy Tips | 18 Plants Feed Family of 4 for a Year https://youtu.be/EEh5rAT9NDA

How to Plant Raspberries – Soil Prep, Growing & Caring for your Raspberry Plants https://youtu.be/aGIyGVwkR6E

Plant Your Fruit Tree Correctly & Have Food for 20+ YEARS | Orchard TOUR https://youtu.be/K8EDL8NeWaA

The other tours in this week’s Homesteaders of America’s Garden Collab

Alderman Farms http://www.youtube.com/user/AldermanFarms
Farm Life Outfitters http://www.youtube.com/farmlifeoutfitters
Gold Shaw Farm https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjl3zDun9SazYI0UWWu6_1A
The Honeystead https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB2BKzY2HgpTEgYeba78KHA

I’m excited to be part of Homesteaders of America’s 2020 Garden Tour, check out all the other gardener tours here:

**********************
My Books:

The Family Garden Plan http://familygardenplan.com/
Hand Made 100+ From Scratch Recipes http://handmadethebook.com/
The Made-from-Scratch Life http://madefromscratchlife.com/

**********************

Howdy! I’m so glad you’re here. I’m Melissa from Pioneering Today and a 5th generation homesteader where I’m doing my best to hold onto the old traditions in a modern world and share them with others.

Click any of the below links for FREE resources and trainings to help you on your homestead!

Homemade Sourdough Starter Series https://melissaknorris.com/learnsourdough

How to Pressure Can Series https://melissaknorris.com/pressurecanning

Beginners Home Canning Safety https://melissaknorris.com/canningclass

For raising, cooking and preserving your own food come hang out with on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/melissaknorris/
and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/melissaknorris/

**********

1. Braeutchen on May 26, 2022 at 7:46 pm

Dehydrated sliced zucchini
    W a pinch of garlic and dill
    On ea fresh slice….is a delicious potatoe chip like treat….🖐🏻☺️

2. blacksheep on May 26, 2022 at 7:47 pm

Not egg shells, babe, OYSTER shells. Pacific oysters grow in sea or brackish water so they have a high salt content the slugs don’t like, but because the salt is in the shell itself it doesn’t ruin your soil for the plants that don’t like salty soil.

3. Neil Williams on May 26, 2022 at 7:47 pm

Beer trap ! Jam jag buried in the ground next to your plants , slugs loves beer mare than plants ! drink themselfs to death ! what a way to go lol , but it works .

4. Shirley Truett on May 26, 2022 at 7:47 pm

Have you tried pine needles to mulch your garden they say slugs won’t crawl on it , I’m thinking about trying it

5. Archie Burson on May 26, 2022 at 7:48 pm

I don’t recall you having said one way or the other but how do you like the taste of your blush lettuce?

6. EmbeR Reel on May 26, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Lol your dog is eating food in the background lol

7. d on May 26, 2022 at 7:49 pm

Hi. Where in the pnw are you? We’re in gig harbor. I just now discovered Paul Gautschi and just ordered 15 yards of composted wood chips $48/yard. Yes of course they all caught on to the bigger demand for wood chips. Unbelievable how much they charged! But its already composted, so hopefully will give us a head start. So we’re going to use the side yard thats also got lots of fruit trees so we will be taking up some of my husband’s beautiful lawn. But I forgot about deer and rabbits! I might try the hot pepper/garlic spray the first yr. We’ve never gardener food. Only ornamental trees and landscaping……but the food is crap. So im about to do it like Paul. We are considering it a productive hobby.☺ the weather is so cold though!

8. Gardening in my yard on May 26, 2022 at 7:50 pm

My favorite way is sprinkle salt on them. I keep a blue container of salt with my hoe. I found the best time is early while the dew is still on the plants.

9. mike thompson on May 26, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I know this is off subject but where can one buy a mockmill at?

10. Naida Deschesne on May 26, 2022 at 7:53 pm

Try planting rosemary under or around any fruit trees you have deer problems with. Maybe in containers that you can move from certaint areas to others areas as needed. Love your video!😉😊

11. Allen Dean Huscusson on May 26, 2022 at 7:54 pm

Diatomaceous earth will stop the snails it’s cheap you need to sprinkle after each rain and the snails will not be a problem. My friend that he has ducks and they don’t let snails have a chance

12. gidieupp on May 26, 2022 at 7:54 pm

ummmmmmm……..what about a beer trap for the slug problem

13. Patricia Fletcher on May 26, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Hi. I’m in Oregon. We have 7 of us, but only I am wanting a garden. Although I’m almost 70, I’m kind of new to gardening. This winter, I’ve listened to at least 2-3+ videos every night and feel like after listening to yours, that this was the best. Especially about succession gardening. We have a little under 9 acres but most of it is an old riverbed full, very FULL, of rocks. I have, over the last couple of years, purchased wooden raised beds 18" x4′ about 3 feet off of the ground (14 of them) and little kids’ wading pools (16 of them). I really liked the idea of planting companion plants to get more out of the beds.
    I was told I need to plant corn in 4×4 plots for better pollination. I bought the kind of corn I can grind to make tortillas… I’m going to try to use a no till method on the soil I have and hopefully build it up so the corn can grow grouped together. Also want to try the 3 sisters idea with corn, beans, and squash grouped together. God willing, we will have food to store. I’m going to definitely saving your info. I’m planning on binge watching your videos.
    Oh! And the tower! I’m going to check that out. We have free range chickens and I hope that tower will help keep stuff from getting eaten by the chickens before we get any!
    Thank you.

14. Hernan Rey Sanchez on May 26, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Instead of soap, put a vessel with beer. The snail will jump in and you don"t need to look for them.

15. Karla Bollinger on May 26, 2022 at 7:58 pm

I saw your trellis for your grapes, can you do a video on that one, or show me where I can find one like that. The property that we purchased has two grapes about same distant apart as yours but no where to trellis to the sides. This will be their third year, and they have not been cared for properly. Thanks your time. Karla in wyoming

16. Allen Dean Huscusson on May 26, 2022 at 7:58 pm

Get a real dog and there won’t be any problems with deer

17. Allen Dean Huscusson on May 26, 2022 at 8:04 pm

I can’t believe that dog walking around while you describe how much damage the deer have caused

18. Manic Miner on May 26, 2022 at 8:04 pm

🐸>🐌

19. wheeping willow2 4U on May 26, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Just watched today a vid on slugs. Take those copper scouring pads, stretch it out and put around your plants, they hate it because it shocks them and they hate the copper as it cuts their slimy little bodies. tc love your channel.

20. Dawn Bast on May 26, 2022 at 8:05 pm

Melissa, I’m wondering how you winter over the strawberries in your grow tower? We live in a zone 3 region so I’d need to do something with my grow tower . Thanks for your help!

21. JOh n Johnson on May 26, 2022 at 8:07 pm

I have had luck fighting off insects with a yellow mustard and water mixture.

22. Star Adams on May 26, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Those are super slugs on steroids…. the biggest ive ever seen lol

23. Terri Astrogano on May 26, 2022 at 8:09 pm

I watched a lady who uses tulle around her plants and it keeps everything known to man away. They don’t know what it is and they are scared of it. You can get it on Amazon in bulk very cheap. If you don’t know what it is it’s what they wedding vails out of and it comes in many colors.

24. Edie on May 26, 2022 at 8:10 pm

my lettuce loves leaf mulch

u ever plant eggplant

25. Mark Burton on May 26, 2022 at 8:12 pm

You could reach out to gardening companies for sponsorships, you have the subscribers & viewing numbers. God bless.

26. GreeneGene33 on May 26, 2022 at 8:12 pm

Really like your generational seed saving, that is so powerful and wonderful for you to be able to keep the tradition going. Happy gardening!!

27. Naida Deschesne on May 26, 2022 at 8:17 pm

Try a cottage cheese container with a couple of holes in the side with beer in it. Slugs love the yeast in beer and crawl in and drown. Put the dishes with covers on, in the rows down your broccoli. Chickens might not like the big slugs but if you have ducks, they like them. Pigs might like them in thier slop. Great video!😉

28. Anthony Coyer on May 26, 2022 at 8:18 pm

Duck will take care of those slugs in short order!

29. Rainkatt Studio on May 26, 2022 at 8:18 pm

We have 3 ducks on full time slug patrol. Since we got ducks, we have had almost NO slug problems, they dont scratch up the garden, their webbed feet are gentle on plants and we get lots of rich eggs

30. THE DRONER ADVENTURES on May 26, 2022 at 8:19 pm

Here is my issue. We have an issue with critters destroying our veggie gardens. Rabbits, and chipmunks. I don’t want to trap or kill them just so I can have a garden. In recommendation or tips to prevent us from losing our plants. We can’t seem to win

31. Darrell Lee on May 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm

I recommend watching "Becker Breads " its abought milling your own whole grains and the health benifits of good bread vrs. processed flours. Bread is actually good on the menue, and healing and healthy

32. Lorie on May 26, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Just started watching you. Do u do ALL of the gardening and preserving by yourself? Do kids or hubby help?

33. M M on May 26, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Boy you’ve got healthy Slugs! Aren’t they good for something?!

34. Angela Sparks on May 26, 2022 at 8:26 pm

Have you thought about planting Rosemary as a barrier. Deer do not like Rosemary.

35. Patricia Nichols on May 26, 2022 at 8:26 pm

You can also harvest the ‘scape’ of the garlic to add to soups. I also used the smaller inside gloves (thyme, oregano, rosemary and 1tb of vinegar per gallon of water) to add to my chicken’s drinking water for internal parasite control.

36. Dawn Daugherty on May 26, 2022 at 8:27 pm

For slugs and snails plant in raised bed gardens with two rows of copper tape about 5 inches apart. Copper has a reaction with the bottom of snails and slugs that literary cooks the slugs or snails as the cross it

37. Kyle Night on May 26, 2022 at 8:28 pm

hi, new to you, sent to you by carpenters self reliance

38. Sustainable Living with Mrs.Ladybass on May 26, 2022 at 8:28 pm

I love the brandywine tomatoes 🍅

39. Clifford Allison on May 26, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Does your garden fence keep Deer out ?

40. graceethegreat on May 26, 2022 at 8:33 pm

Do you have a video about how to seed save?

41. Bob Bobbins on May 26, 2022 at 8:33 pm

What we do for Slugs as we put a beer around the plants and slugs like beer

42. Organic Clean Food Connection on May 26, 2022 at 8:35 pm

I was sick for numerous years seen two different doctors over $10,000 in medical testing. I had to hear it from three other countries it’s the no till Farmer 50 feet from my house drifting me with chemicals. He recently came and threatened me if I turn him into the Department of Agriculture again. It is so ridiculous they think they’re feeding the world when all they’re doing is poisoning everybody. I did the same I started growing micro greens in my house to recover my health. After American doctors had given up. Thankfully treatment centers in other countries helped me for free. The power of micro greens 40% more nutrition than a full-size vegetable. Heirloom seed organic a must. We must start feeding ourselves and put a end to big Agriculture. When we’re forcing countries to buy our grain like Japan we are no longer feeding the world.

43. Truth Seeker on May 26, 2022 at 8:35 pm

WOW!! This is amazing!

44. Jake Long on May 26, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Dust with diatomaceous earth to keep slugs off your plants. DO NOT BREATHE THE DUST!

45. Daydreamer77 W on May 26, 2022 at 8:38 pm

CAMERA IS TOO FAR BACK WE NEED TO BEE ABLE TO SEE WHAT PLAT LOOKS LIKE Other WISE OVER MY/OUR HEADS NEED TO SEE PUCTURE SHOW DIFFERENCE OF EACH VARITY COLOR BUNCHING PICTURE TOO FAR OFF TO DADK SOUND VREAT

46. Linda Regusci on May 26, 2022 at 8:38 pm

I can never find the links you guys say you post😭

47. J. L. Dawson on May 26, 2022 at 8:38 pm

Great Videos! 👍
    Looks like you have some hidden gems in your garden.
    Dandelions & Purslane!

48. zoey&norman on May 26, 2022 at 8:38 pm

i try to give all the bug pests like slugs to my hens:) they love it! Ive trying succession planting but having a hard time with things maturing fast enough maybe due to weather. Love your videos thank you for all the gardening & homesteading help!

49. runawaybead on May 26, 2022 at 8:40 pm

My mother used to use salt

50. Noel Chafe on May 26, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Sand works great for slugs as does diatomaceous earth. I also found that nothing works on rainy days except pick by hand. This maybe gross but some people save the slugs they pick from the garden and put them in a blender and blend them, pour onto something to dry and use like diatomaceous earth. I use sand for my Cannabis plants and it works the best but your Broccoli would not like the warmth from the sand on sunny days. Maybe put sand around the edge of the garden?