NEW GREENHOUSE SOLUTION | Perfect for Raised Bed Gardeners

NEW GREENHOUSE SOLUTION | Perfect for Raised Bed Gardeners

Cabbage moths were like the plague last year in our garden. We purchased this 3-Season tent from Gardener’s Supply company, and will be giving a try this year to see how it works out. We’ll keep you posted on progress in this season of gardening videos. β™₯ Rachel

Rachel’s Boots: https://amzn.to/2R2zFp7

@Gardener’s Supply Tent: https://www.gardeners.com/buy/3-season-raised-bed-garden-cover-4×8/8598282.html
____________________________

That 1870’s Homestead
P.O. Box 179
Newport, MI 48166
____________________________

Affiliate Links & Discount Codes:

Everything in our AMAZON shop, is something we own and use here on our homestead. Prices are exactly the same as it would be without the link, but we get a small kick-back from Amazon to help support our channel. No coupon code required, just use this link:

OLIGHT Flashlights
Get 10% Off non-sale items by using coupon code: shop1870

Green Stalk Vertical Garden Planters
Get $10 Off your order, when you purchase a vertical planter. Use coupon code: shop1870
____________________________

Our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/that_1870s_homestead/
Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/1870sHomestead/

1. phat mee maw on May 27, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Adorable

2. GLENDA Vertner on May 27, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Happy Easter. Today is Easter Sunday. A beautiful sunny day and is supposed to get up to 70".🌞🌞🌞 it has been rainy and down into the low 20Β°sπŸ₯ΆπŸŒ§ for several days. The weather can’t decide if it’s still winter or if it’s spring timeπŸ˜–
    I just watched An Alaskan Homestead – Living on a remote island in Alaska. He put a Green House/High Tunnel just like the one you put over your raised beds, except his you can walk in. But, what I thought you might be interested in is his PVC Pipe Framing he has over his raised beds. They are taller than most I’ve seen on YouTube and are what I want over mine. I saw one You Tuber put hinges on his so he just raised the whole thing up. Don’t remember who it was.
    Have a blessed day, stay safe and healthy πŸ™πŸ₯°πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ™πŸ¦…πŸ””πŸ—½πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ™πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ™πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ™πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ™

3. Lowrie Dee Harrison on May 27, 2022 at 8:32 pm

You will need to put straps over the cover to hold every thing down in the wind. Big gust will pull the staples. I have one at each end right over the frame support.

4. Willow Piwarunas on May 27, 2022 at 8:32 pm

I love this little green house ! I bought small hoop houses this year so I can try getting plants outside and thought they would be good for brassicas . I am not getting notifications from your channel I just missed a bunch and thought how come I have not seen any videos from you guys .

5. Julie Beal on May 27, 2022 at 8:34 pm

I LOVE your trellis spot!

6. Denise Brady on May 27, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Rachel it is called netting over here & I think I could cover my entire house with it as I have sooo much. It is white & looks like butterfly netting & I cover every bed that has brassicas or anything that the white spotted butterfly is likely to lay eggs on. I have had amazing success :)):). I thinks what you have done is excellent & built a small green house.
    I make hoops out of watering tube & just lay the netting over. Cheers Denise- Australia

7. ezd1023 on May 27, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Love It !!!
    Happy Easter !!!
    πŸ°πŸ‡πŸ£πŸ₯πŸ’πŸŒΉ

8. Countrymouse's Farmhouse on May 27, 2022 at 8:35 pm

They look fantastic. I may have to resort to these if the next season proves tricky here too. We’ve been encouraging all the predatory creatures and birds , I’ve been seeing lots of ladybugs too so I really hope it’s better than before. Thank you for another great video. Xxoo

9. Steve From the Garden on May 27, 2022 at 8:35 pm

I was dealing with a rabbit and the cabbage moths last year attacking my broccoli. This year I used 1/2" PVC pipes I use for making hoop houses and covered them with agribon 15. Similar concept to your screen house. Hoping it works.

10. Amanda Mirela Marchinski on May 27, 2022 at 8:36 pm

Put eggs on sticks through the garden to protect it from butterflies, but do it before they came. Birds are caterpillar’s predators so they use to avoid eggs.

11. Rochelle Moreno on May 27, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Happy Easter to you and your family Hope you have a wonderful one πŸ°πŸ°πŸ°πŸ°πŸ°πŸ‘

12. DixieGirl9876 on May 27, 2022 at 8:43 pm

Love the green bean tunnel!

13. SouthernLadyWithManyHats on May 27, 2022 at 8:44 pm

Now get you about 4-6 sand bags and put a shovel of sand in them to hold it down with. Might have to use ties on the bags to tie to the greenhouse so the wind wont blow it over or pick it up and it fly off. I have one that has the two shelves on each side for my plants. Then I have one like your small one inside your house. I use the outside one on my carport to harden off my plants that grew inside. Good luck with it and here’s to NO BUGS this season!!!

14. Kelly Travers on May 27, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Oh No! I have that, put it up and it is fabul;ous unless you get some high winds and then it is all over for the covers and so my covers are shredded and they don’t make replacements…..

15. Nanny Georgina Smith on May 27, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Ooh thats a great shelter love it. We always net our Brassica plants 🌱 but loving the greenhouse part. That will be do useful for your planting. Thanks for sharing πŸ‘πŸ˜ŽπŸŒ±πŸŒ±πŸŒ±πŸŒ±β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ

16. Carrie M on May 27, 2022 at 8:47 pm

We put up a 10 x 20 cattle panel greenhouse…..when it comes to protecting plants from bugs buy several yards of voile material. Then Lowe’s sells bendable wire you can make hoops for your plant rows…take material and clamp or close pin it to those wires….
    Instant bug proof cover….

17. Christine always chirping on May 27, 2022 at 8:50 pm

Awesome , really low it gonna tell my kids about thanks for sharing God bless you both and your family

18. KimiyeML Smallgardendream on May 27, 2022 at 8:50 pm

I have issues with owls eating all my snap peas, and an unknown critter eating the leaves of my 🌢 plants. Omg the white cabbage moths are ridiculous here in California Nov-March when I plant my brassicas. 🀞🏻 good luck with new new cover. πŸ₯°πŸ™πŸ»β€οΈ

19. Catalytic Centaur on May 27, 2022 at 8:50 pm

I haven’t read the comments, yet. I don’t know, if I will.
    How about diatomacious earth? Are there natural predators against these moths?

20. Connie Lynn on May 27, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Yes! I deal with them, too! What a perfect solution for raised beds. Can’t wait to see how this works for you. I know you’ll keep us updated:)

21. Carrie M on May 27, 2022 at 8:53 pm

I bought a mosquito zapper….battery operated…..smack……they’re gone…..it’s like $5 at Walmart…πŸ‘it looks like a tennis racket….

22. Karissa Hess on May 27, 2022 at 8:54 pm

I’ve had this exact greenhouse kit for a few years. works extremely well against cabbage moths!

23. Marika Paprika on May 27, 2022 at 8:55 pm

These are so convenient, you are going to LOVE them Rachel!
    I have two similar here in Australia, no netting though, just the greenhouse plastic. They were instrumental in starting my corn early!
    Having netting to fit would be even better as boy do we get cabbage moths!
    In my garden I only have two months a year where they AREN’T flapping around everywhere πŸ˜–

24. Stanley Gallman on May 27, 2022 at 8:55 pm

Truly hoping that the little Green House is the protection that you’ve been wanting. You express such a beautiful passion for gardening. πŸ‘

25. ramona black on May 27, 2022 at 8:58 pm

Where did y’all get that glider chair setup?

26. Kim Tagliareni on May 27, 2022 at 9:00 pm

Fantastic little contraption for raised beds! Just what I’ve been looking for! AND….Those boots! Where can I find those?

27. Andrew Hammill on May 27, 2022 at 9:00 pm

Good luck with that. My past experience with that sort of product has never been good. Doesn’t last but for one season – Maybe. And new covers are usually almost as much as the original item.

28. Stacy McClain on May 27, 2022 at 9:02 pm

Rachel, did you notice the cross in the sky in the quick clip of you in the garden last summer? Beautiful ~ πŸ™β€πŸ™πŸ’œ

29. Lori on May 27, 2022 at 9:02 pm

I saw a gardener who used tulle to keep the bugs out. I’m going to try it this year. I’ll build a 2×2 frame and staple the tulle to it.
    It’s a cheap alternative and comes in different colors too. I went for a green to blend in.

30. Hick Billy on May 27, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Those damn things ate all my kale in 2 days. There was literally only stalks left when I got home.

31. Dawn Donham on May 27, 2022 at 9:04 pm

I wish my husband would give up his Man Card and just read the instructions sometimes! Haha!

32. Emeraldwitch30 on May 27, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Cabbage loopers are awful here in Michigan.
    Ive been covering with mesh and I bought more this year but im going to try the Bt. A local farm stand told me to us it about every 8 to 10 days and sooner if we have heavy rain. He grows the most beautiful broccoli and cauliflower 😍 hardly any πŸ› damage.
    Nothing worse than dropping your broccoli into the boiling water to blanch and those naught critters come floating out. Ruins your appetite unless you’re my gecko lol

33. Lorraine Shobajo on May 27, 2022 at 9:06 pm

good choices i have these in my garden as well.

34. Eleanor Kern on May 27, 2022 at 9:08 pm

I have these tents on my raised beds and they are wonderful! I hope you like them just as much

35. Boots and Bounty Homestead on May 27, 2022 at 9:13 pm

You know onions deter those cabbage pests!!! Check out our last update to see out grid pattern with onions and cabbage bed

36. Lynn Traylor on May 27, 2022 at 9:16 pm

I bought and used the same thing. Lasted two seasons then I had to re paint the metal tubes because they rusted in my climate quickly. But love the system it works well.

37. Anne Turner on May 27, 2022 at 9:17 pm

LOL! For a minute I was impressed that, as a man, he was looking for the instructions!πŸ˜‚

38. J C King on May 27, 2022 at 9:18 pm

As an additional defense against moths, I bought a hand held bug zapper! (Less than $10 at Lowe’s). Looks like a tennis racket. You just press a little button on the handle to engage the β€œcurrent” (it’s battery operated), swing away at the little buggers and fry their butts! Obviously not the first line of defense but a handy addition to the arsenal against the flying creepies that try to munch on my plants.

39. Liz Dodson on May 27, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Does it only open on one side? Or are there zipper doors on both sides?

40. Melissa Lewis on May 27, 2022 at 9:19 pm

I ended up just buying some netting fabric this year but this looks awesome!

41. S A on May 27, 2022 at 9:21 pm

I use BTK πŸ™‚ works perfect

42. Jeanne Kleinknecht on May 27, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Love the little green house. Showed video to hubby and he was already ordered one for me and a Potato growing bag. Going to use green house for kale, spinach and Broccoli. We get little worms and grey bugs do hoping this will help. And my onions showed up today from Dixon Dale Farms. Very exciting day.

43. Mrs. Emcee on May 27, 2022 at 9:22 pm

We have a lot of cabbage butterflies here in the Netherlands. I always put netting over my brassica’s and kales. I use pvc tubes with cheap lace curtains over them. Rain gets through, wind is a bit less. They hold two seasons and do the job just perfect!

44. 2pons Homeplace on May 27, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Oh my, I want to do this to my garden. Thank you for this video.

45. Deborah VonHeeder on May 27, 2022 at 9:25 pm

Your bean trellis is going to be so nice!
    And to have a shaded area to sit during the summer will be magical when it is in bloom and the as the beans mature. 🀩

46. Shannon Dixson on May 27, 2022 at 9:26 pm

You go girl with your pants tucked in your boots. 😁πŸ₯°. I’m a real cowgirl from southeast Texas!!

47. Debbie Boyer on May 27, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Putting ours up this weekend 😊

48. Catherine Jones on May 27, 2022 at 9:28 pm

That is a perfect size for your garden bed! Did you get it custom-made or were you just lucky enough to have the right size bed?

49. Kybossls on May 27, 2022 at 9:30 pm

My wife thought I had a bee in my shorts last spring, chasing after those cabbage loopers. Then why are you killing them? I explained what these are doing to out crops, she understood, I have made my own netting. Plus in the process of installing a 14×24 greenhouse, with plastic and shade netting, look at Gardening with Leon. Great information and good man.

50. Bob in Leavenworth on May 27, 2022 at 9:30 pm

I made similar structures out of PVC pipe and fittings. I covered with repurposed sheet plastic (a mattress was shipped in it) for a greenhouse/coldframe and with row cover cloth for those nasty cabbage moths. Last weekend I got in my kohlrabi, green cabbage and collards out. Today my Chinese cabbage and kale went in the ground. I live in northeast Kansas.