Heat or Light? Whats more important for Chilli growth? (2019.E11 Garden Updates)

Join me in this video where I take you around the greenhouse and the polytunnel to check out the Pepper plants. I also share with you my theories on what is more important when it comes to chilli plant growth!
#chillichumpchallenge

If you would like to support me and my channel, please check out https://www.patreon.com/chillichump

Intro and outro music is “Old Man” by Johnny Black Blues. Check out their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JohnnyBlackBlues/

———————————————————-

Any links to products or services may be affiliate links that give me a small kickback at no cost to you, and with no influence on the content. I use Geni.us to help geo-target, ensuring you are linked to the correct country’s Amazon website — As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Website – http://www.chillichump.com
Patreon – https://www.patreon.com/chillichump
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/chillichump
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/chillichump
Twitter – https://twitter.com/Chillichump
Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/chillichump/

Note: All information provided by ChilliChump is furnished only for educational/entertainment purposes only. You agree that use of this information is at your own risk and hold ChilliChump harmless from any and all losses, liabilities, injuries or damages resulting from any and all claims.

1. Donna Himpler on May 30, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Love whst how you explaine nice

2. frisconotomato on May 30, 2022 at 8:42 pm

Trying to catch up here. Why didn’t you use the aquarium heater on the hydro tub? Any chance of a mild category on next years seed list, haha? Great channel, this is my first year growing and I’ve learned a lot here. Thanks

3. Sir Jelly Sugar on May 30, 2022 at 8:43 pm

I’m growing my first chilliest. Rainbow chilliest. Birdseye chilliest and scotch bonnet chilliest. Wish me luck lol

4. Redzone 101 CKC on May 30, 2022 at 8:43 pm

love your videos, i have good luck growing my chilis for the pass few years but this year i have 2 young plant is not producing anything and most of the leafs fell off but i see new small leaves growing pass few days.. do you know why? i really thought they died on me till i see new leafs are growing, could it be the weather temp? or lack of nutrition?

5. di5gustipated on May 30, 2022 at 8:44 pm

Careful with the poly tunnel, i did that last year and it got far to hot, even after i put a fan on the end and rolled up the sides. I didnt get any fruit and i suspect it was from the heat because once i took off the top everything exploded, but wasnt early enough before it got cold out to ripen..

6. Muhammad Nadeem on May 30, 2022 at 8:44 pm

Good job
    Thanks for sharing this

7. bhsbass on May 30, 2022 at 8:50 pm

Im impressed how you grow all kinds of peppers in UK weather!

8. Cameron mcintyre on May 30, 2022 at 8:50 pm

Yeah I’m getting much better up here in Aberdeen and I started a bit late so hopefully I’ll get them in before the season is down

9. Tinkiak on May 30, 2022 at 8:50 pm

You’ve been busy 😎 Best of luck
    🐞🌶🐞

10. apple on May 30, 2022 at 8:54 pm

my chilli grow indoor with only 9w led light is growing fine.

11. SNoWfLaKe_Da_BoSS on May 30, 2022 at 8:55 pm

How do I get my reapers to produce flowers inside ?

12. J on May 30, 2022 at 8:56 pm

I get lots of cool and useful tips here on your channel. Thanks!
    When it comes to getting the plants bushier early on, have you tried using a round reflecting surface like for example perlite? I’ve notices that stimulates undergrowth. It’s also cheap and easy to remove later in the season for reuse at some other time.

13. Randomstuff collectibles on May 30, 2022 at 8:57 pm

I always remove the flowers and fruits when my chillies are small and young so they will put all the energy at growing big and bushy , is that wrong of me to do?

14. 426 SUPER BEE on May 30, 2022 at 8:58 pm

My Cayenne’s are getting ready : ) picking a few now> Jalapeno’s gone nuts, making more . Poblano and Bells are making Tomato’s gone nuts > I made a sun screen out of old curtains, old tent poles laying around, and hose clamps. Looks Professional, Works Excellent, Saved 500 bucks. ALL IS GOOD! That my update: ) Cheers buddy

15. Frank Grimes on May 30, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Really nice set up. Very impressive. Best of luck from a new subscriber!!

16. piotref1 on May 30, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Interesting with the Poblano leaves.
    I will try next year to grow some peppers in a flat here in Poland 😛

17. joseph croft on May 30, 2022 at 9:00 pm

what did you use to get rid if aphids , i have Marigolds & Basil in the greenhouse & spraying with tomato leaf spray but it doesn’t seem to be clearing them

18. dtrail125 yt on May 30, 2022 at 9:01 pm

What fertilizer do you apply I see in video the white color in your pot ty.😍

19. deadly 0101 on May 30, 2022 at 9:01 pm

When you use your neem oil mix do you shade your plants oil cause the sun burnt leaves . Great video again 👍👍👍👍

20. chaztech on May 30, 2022 at 9:01 pm

i think it even says on pepper seed packets soil needs to be 75 degrees to germinate

21. Александр on May 30, 2022 at 9:03 pm

like your channel. respect from Russia!

22. Gering Gardener on May 30, 2022 at 9:04 pm

So where we only to grow 1 pablono cus I have 5 if them they way small compared to your plants so far but here in the next month I will be catching up fast tipical American right always late to the show

23. hibou647 on May 30, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for the great videos, my poblanos are quite behind, i need to learn more it seems. I was wondering, what do you do with so many chillies ? Do you eat them all ? 🙂

24. RicBent on May 30, 2022 at 9:07 pm

I was about to grow my first chillies this year. Almost good that I was too busy. Good thing I skipped this beginner unfriendly year ^^

25. Pierre Rossouw on May 30, 2022 at 9:07 pm

I might be completely wrong, but do I somehow detect a little bit of South African in his accent? The way he speaks just sounds like home.

26. ken birkin on May 30, 2022 at 9:08 pm

is fruitset required on the chily ?, similar to greenhouse tomatoes

27. Kishor on May 30, 2022 at 9:09 pm

Why leaves are curl

28. Jack Borris on May 30, 2022 at 9:10 pm

In this greenhouse what you are now you should put arounded the greenhouse Black weeds killing blanket

29. Paul on May 30, 2022 at 9:11 pm

ps: I have about 20 hot pepper plants and I always take them inside if it reach below 12 degrees. I read some people say about 16c but I would imaging where there is sand climates that it can reach till about 12 degress or even colder so I decided about 12c to protect the growth or growth of the peppers

30. Donna Himpler on May 30, 2022 at 9:14 pm

IM. I Gotta say Dont give up .. .You re Good

31. Paul on May 30, 2022 at 9:15 pm

at 6:17 you mentioned why one hydro plant is bigger well I believe it could also be the height of the reservoir compared to the other 2 that are on the ground. usually the ground is always the coldest and I wonder how much of a heat differentials there is. you could use a laser thermometer to see how much holds true.

Have you tried a heat mat with thermometer underneath those 2 big reservoirs to make sure it does not get too cold?

ps: Mine too got ravished by aphids.. i try to put what ever predator I can find on them but indoors is difficult. I use soap and neem oil which does work but you have to repeat often as they always come back.

32. Jack Borris on May 30, 2022 at 9:19 pm

You should cover the little hydroponic system with silver insulation foil First The well keep hit the way second The contains note Dark enough and the algae and bacteria can grow in

33. Owen Brandt on May 30, 2022 at 9:20 pm

First year growing peppers, I planted a bunch of santaka and jalapenos. I also found some decent carolina reaper and habenero at a local greenhouse, so I am pretty pumped for that… Live in Canada so I don’t have the luxury of heat necessary. Every now and then we get warm enough weather so this is a fingers crossed summer. Any tips for growing in cold climates? Any alternatives to greenhouses that are not complete gimmicks?

34. Ren Lopez on May 30, 2022 at 9:20 pm

Great videos! Keep up the good work.
    Fort Worth,Texas

35. joseph hellstern on May 30, 2022 at 9:21 pm

The title of your videos misleading. It don’t really address Heat versus light it’s just a little tour of your greenhouse and garden. Please consider retitling it

36. John Dueck on May 30, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Southern Alberta has had a very cool May also. But my Black Pearl and Black Dragon hot peppers are looking pretty good. Still small but looking healthy. With our growing season being so short, first frost around the middle of Sept, it’s a crap shoot on what will grow in any given year.

37. Sheena's Garden on May 30, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Great video

38. LucasGrowsBest on May 30, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Awesome video, what lavelier microphone do you use if you don’t mind my asking?

39. Butz MN on May 30, 2022 at 9:24 pm

I have the leaf turning on , my habaneros too

40. CJ on May 30, 2022 at 9:25 pm

When it gets hotter the plants take up more water(and also end up getting nutrients) to stay cool.

41. Dez L on May 30, 2022 at 9:27 pm

They need alot of sun

42. DURGESH KUMAR on May 30, 2022 at 9:28 pm

Chill plant : If you Give me heat.
    Then i will give you hot chilli.

43. Ivan Atanasov on May 30, 2022 at 9:29 pm

First of all: thank you for the brilliant videos. I can binge watch you every day 🙂
    I have a question: what chillies can I grow outside in England. I squeezed all I could in the greenhouse, so looking to grow some outside.

44. Trevor Riel on May 30, 2022 at 9:30 pm

For you hydro setup use a fish tank heater to maintain water temp in your reservoir

45. Dewayne Cunningham on May 30, 2022 at 9:31 pm

Are you doing the poblano competition for 2021

46. pinky pete on May 30, 2022 at 9:32 pm

Hi I’ve watched your entire series 2018 and 19 so far and I think I must of missed a bit as I’m looking for the ideal grow light time for chillies, I’ve currently got them under 24 hours of light but I don’t know if this is to much as I know some plants like the darkness time to but the thing is there in my garage and the nighttime Temps are still pretty low around 6 to 10c and the light keeps them at around 27c would I be wise keeping it on 24 hours or still turning it down to say 16 hours?

47. Zach Chenoweth on May 30, 2022 at 9:32 pm

If heating the water is an issue, why not wire up a heating element in your reservoir? They aren’t too expensive but you’ll likely have to run them off the main on a timer.

48. japan0phile1 on May 30, 2022 at 9:36 pm

An experiment of two beds one with and one without soil cables would be interesting

49. Hannah De Boucherville on May 30, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Green lacewings will help with aphids if you don’t have or can get rid of ants. (Ants will defend and farm the aphids as you probably well know) I’m not sure if you have them available to purchase in your area but in Australia we have a company called ‘bugs for bugs’ and you can have all sorts of beneficial insects shipped! 👍🏼

50. barb Snyder on May 30, 2022 at 9:38 pm