How to create a cottage garden – tips and ideas

How to create a cottage garden – tips and ideas

Flowers and colour for a perfect cottage garden. It’s an easy and relaxed style, and perfect for small gardens – but are there hidden secrets or rules? Find out here.
0:00 Welcome
0:18 What is cottage garden style?
1:07 The purple climber is wisteria
1:47 Grow robust, common plants for cottage garden style
2:54 Exclude one colour from your cottage garden?
3:11 Where did cottage garden style come from?
3:51 Use plants that are easy to grow, divide or propagate and share them!
4:52 See William Robinson’s beautiful country garden in this video: https://youtu.be/YQruWYf8LTE
4:50 What are the key elements of a cottage garden?
5:41 Find out how to choose the best climbing plant for your garden in this video: https://youtu.be/rEsMlbdC1r8
5:50 Do you have a lawn in a cottage garden?
6:12 What are the best cottage garden plants?
8:52 What furniture and garden ornaments are good for cottage gardens?

British grown flowers from https://www.countrylaneflowers.co.uk/
For London Cottage Garden blog: https://londoncottagegarden.com/
Pollyanna Wilkinson Garden Design: https://www.pollyannawilkinson.com/
Tony Wagstaff garden design
Peter Cowell Garden Design: https://www.petercowell.com/
How to choose climbing plants for your garden: https://youtu.be/rEsMlbdC1r8
Gravetye Manor Garden Tour: https://youtu.be/YQruWYf8LTE

For garden ideas, gardening advice, garden design and landscaping ideas for your garden or backyard, subscribe to the Middlesized Garden YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThemiddlesizedgardenCoUk

Whether you love English garden style, cottage gardens or contemporary urban gardening, The Middlesized Garden has gardening advice and garden ideas for you.

Weekly videos cover gardening advice and garden design – from small space gardens to middle-sized garden landscaping – plus garden tours and tips for container gardening.

The Middlesized Garden practices sustainability, wildlife gardening and no till methods. If your garden backyard is smaller than an acre, join us and enjoy your garden even more!
The Middlesized Garden Complete Guide to Garden Privacy is available in Kindle or paperback in 13 countries (in English only). If you’d like your garden to feel more private, click here for availability in your country: https://www.themiddlesizedgarden.co.uk/books/the-complete-guide-to-garden-privacy/

#gardening #gardendesign #backyardgarden

For small and middlesized backyards and gardens….
See The Middlesized Garden blog: http://www.themiddlesizedgarden.co.uk/

For Amazon storefront see: https://www.amazon.com/shop/themiddle-sizedgarden
Note: links to Amazon are affiliate which means I get a small fee for qualifying purchases. It doesn’t affect the price you pay and I only recommend things I use myself or really think you’d like!

More garden ideas on Pinterest:https://www.pinterest.co.uk/midsizegarden/boards/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/midsizegarden
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/themiddlesizedgarden/

1. Carol Dixon on May 31, 2022 at 8:36 pm

My favourite gardener… thank you for sharing

2. A Daily Daughter on May 31, 2022 at 8:38 pm

New subscriber and already loving your channel. Thank you so much for the wonderful visuals and helpful tips 😊

3. Dermot O'Brien on May 31, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Great video – so informative – beautiful delivery – many thanks

4. Leslie Kendall on May 31, 2022 at 8:41 pm

My kingdom to ever get lupine to germinate!

5. Stettafire on May 31, 2022 at 8:43 pm

Lovely to watch this. I’m starting growing some little fruit shrubs/trees in my garden. I picked up raspberry and blackberry. Also adding some Hebes to my eventual front hedge. My back garden which is middle sized is a South aspect. While my front garden is a north aspect and is rather small. My goal with the north garden is to provide as much privacy as possible. My goal with the back is to support wildlife first and foremost. I have two ponds and I saw your advice on allowing shallower and deeper parts of the pond, so I’m going to rectify that situation with a piece of lumber dipped in so wildlife can crawl out if it needs to. I’ll do that on both ponds

6. Dennis Meisner on May 31, 2022 at 8:43 pm

Hi What high almost palmlike flower is at the left 5:30 – 5:50?
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    /Woodcraftdennis from Sweden

7. Dr. Hakan Baglar on May 31, 2022 at 8:44 pm

tut nmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tur mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

8. Botanical Treasures on May 31, 2022 at 8:45 pm

Most informative. I never knew exactly what the elements of a cottage garden were to explain it to someone else. Although I’ve seen them before. One was at Dove Cottage in the Lake District. Here in Upstate South Carolina I’ll have to go for a subtropical cottage garden with daffodils and dutch irises followed by bearded irises, tiger flowers, and dianthus. Daylilies, echinacea, artimesia, daisies, ornamental red okra, Elephant Ear, American asters and goldenrod.

9. Michael Pickens on May 31, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Good vid 👍💝

10. joanne murphy on May 31, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Do you think that "English style flower garden" and Cottage Garden are synonymous?

11. alice heidecker on May 31, 2022 at 8:47 pm

Very good! So much information so well done. Thank you!

12. Helen Trope on May 31, 2022 at 8:47 pm

I’ve tried to get a cottagey look to my garden, but I struggle to succeed with lupins. The slugs always get them. I’ve protected them this year but the whole plant seems so slow growing and I’ve never yet seen flowers on them. In the front garden I grew foxgloves but they looked sickly, especially the leaves. I think cottage gardens do best in alkaline soil, not acid like ours. I now grow what is happy to grow and survives without too much fuss.

13. Stephanie Newman on May 31, 2022 at 8:48 pm

This was very helpful and encouraging! I very recently had all my sod removed with the goal of creating a cottage style garden in the Rocky Mountain West, Montana, USA. I plan to use drought and cold tolerant plants. I hope to reduce my water use and create something beautiful for passersby. It is such a big project, at times I feel overwhelmed. Watching this gave me heart. Thank you.

14. Dianne Coil on May 31, 2022 at 8:48 pm

This is so helpful. I do not want a highly manicured lawn with perfect flower beds. So frustrating trying to find tips. Thank you!

15. ELISE Elisabeth on May 31, 2022 at 8:52 pm

Un grand merci pour la traduction en Français 🙂

16. August Moon Rae on May 31, 2022 at 8:56 pm

What is the SUPER tall kind of spiky plant in front of one of the windows?? So interesting!

17. Christina Panait on May 31, 2022 at 8:58 pm

Beautiful, but what about zone 5 , Ottawa -Canada – we have kind cold climate and I have partial shade 🙁 I have the space but I dont know what plants/flowers will grow and adapt to Canadian weather 🙁

18. sagebrush22 on May 31, 2022 at 8:59 pm

What is the tall spiky plant against the house by the window at around the 2.30 time on the video. Well , i guess it shows up in several parts of the vid. I think it is very nice!

19. Viviana Angieli Valenzuela Sanzana on May 31, 2022 at 9:01 pm

Subtítulos en español, quiero entender….

20. nuthajason on May 31, 2022 at 9:01 pm

does anyone know what that large architectural plant is on the left of the screen at 0:05 seconds?

21. Nuruz Zaman on May 31, 2022 at 9:02 pm

I’d really like to know what the difference is between cottage and English country style.

22. steve higgins on May 31, 2022 at 9:02 pm

Great video, can I ask what is the enormous plant with the blue flowers at 2.50? Looks amazing.

23. AJ’s Green Thumb, LLC on May 31, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Such a beautiful and inspirational video filled with goodies and spot on tips. Thank you!

24. yuJuan Liu on May 31, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Hi, love cottage garden so much. Thank you for the videos. I’m planning to change my garden to this style. I have two main questions before I start,1. If the flower beds are next to the grass lawn, will the self seeding flower seeds go in to the grass lawn and be hard to be controlled, how to prevent it? 2. To make a all year round beautiful garden I think I should seed and nurse in green house first. Do you have article about for each month or season we could seed which type of flowers? Or any book you recommend? I’m expecting your response. Thanks in advance!

25. sarah kelby lewis on May 31, 2022 at 9:06 pm

I am finding so much inspiration from this and all of your videos, thank you! I was wondering, what are the pale apricot flower spikes in the vases in front of you? They caught and held my attention but I do not recognize them.

26. Barbara Cole on May 31, 2022 at 9:06 pm

I love this, a C G sounds ideal, I’m gonna do this in my backyard

27. Audrey Winterbottom on May 31, 2022 at 9:09 pm

Just a pleasure to look at these gardens and have your know-how.

28. Rachel Brough on May 31, 2022 at 9:11 pm

A beautiful video. I love a shabby cottage garden, it’s my favourite style, nothing too manicured or regimented, but more natural, slightly wild and romantic. ❤

29. nicky ferguson on May 31, 2022 at 9:11 pm

This is wonderful, encouraging 🙂

30. Cat mcRib on May 31, 2022 at 9:11 pm

at 0.05 there’s a tall plant pineapple like, anyone knows the name? great video, I love purples combined with yellows and oranges and hot pinks.

31. Ella Lena on May 31, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Thank you very much.

32. Alexandra on May 31, 2022 at 9:12 pm

What is the mass of pale purple flowers at 0:43? They look like nepeta (catmint) but I’ve never seen catmint that size. Maybe the perspective of the camera is confusing me. If it is catmint can anyone name the cultivar?

I adore your channel and all your wonderful garden friends. Thanks Alexandra.

33. Shyamali Ghosh on May 31, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Beautiful garden.i am fascinated.

34. C CT on May 31, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Must be the fourth time I’ve watched this and love and learn so much. Fennel and angelica is a must this year, I agree.

35. Rosy P on May 31, 2022 at 9:15 pm

Wondering what flowers would tolerate the heat in Miami, Florida. I’m working on a bungalow garden now.

36. olives koster on May 31, 2022 at 9:17 pm

Hi its another beautiful garden im dreaming walking around here👍

37. Naomi Weaver on May 31, 2022 at 9:19 pm

This was wonderful! Thank you so much for your videos!

38. Bernideen Canfield on May 31, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Loved this video and your accent! Love when you say "herbs" with the "H"! I think I’ll do that – even in the USA!

39. Sunflowers and Yoga on May 31, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Watching this wonderful video and all the while having an obsession with yellows oranges and reds. I feel a rebellious cottage garden coming on

40. Helena Chase on May 31, 2022 at 9:24 pm

I’m starting a cottage garden at my new farm of 12 acres.
    I do have grass but only because it was there and I have no perrenial or shrubbery just yet.
    As I get more and more perrenials,bulbs and shrubs I will cut the beds larger and finally remove the lawn..
    I have many wild and airy annuals planted from seed that can re seed themselves. Daucus carota , cosmos , zinnia, forgetr me not. Etc, etc
    Thank you so much for this wonderful video. It is very inspiring but intimidating as well !

41. Kevin James Parr on May 31, 2022 at 9:25 pm

My hedged garden rooms of six now added a cottage garden room .I loved this blog of yours as it came just at right time to meet with my build.Like you colour but always classical formal softened by planting .Then this cottage garden build I do intend to work beyond the book of rules as free as the wind in fact .Bit of Chris Lloyd and Percy Thrower really added to my take of how an old English cottage garden really looked

42. The French Gardener on May 31, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Without doubt, one of the finest videos about Cottage Gardens . . . . thank you so very much!

43. Sylvia Brooks on May 31, 2022 at 9:28 pm

Hi could you tell me what’s wrong with my Escallonla pink elle.It has gold leaves that are falling off all over the plant.

44. The Muse Next Door: ASMR and Commentary on May 31, 2022 at 9:29 pm

One of the gardens you described sounds a lot like my goals for the patio garden I’m designing. All the plants have to earn their keep in such a small space, so the small number of plants that are neither edible nor medicinal are useful for attracting pollinators and repelling pests.
    It’s actually a lot less limiting than most people think. If one considers all the ornamental herbs, flowers that can be used for tisanes and garnishes, and trendy pseudocereals like buckwheat and amaranth, there’s a massive selection of things to interplant with the fruit trees and berry bushes.

45. Marcia's Cottage by the Sea on May 31, 2022 at 9:29 pm

Thank you so much for sharing… So beautiful💖

46. jesuisravi on May 31, 2022 at 9:29 pm

what works for me is setting a goal of planting one or two things I’ve never grown before each year–perennial or annual, no matter. You’d be surprised how quickly your garden grows up and out with just this one constraint, i.e., each year two new.

47. Suzanne Youtsey on May 31, 2022 at 9:32 pm

Wonderful channel.

48. Alternative Smallholding on May 31, 2022 at 9:33 pm

I have to say how refreshing it is to watch this informal and abundant approach to cottage gardens.
    It has grown a little tiresome to be told of the rules, style and the plants that are an absolute must which totally misses the point of a cottage garden.

49. Carolina O P on May 31, 2022 at 9:34 pm

We have a cottage style garden and I would like to make it a bit more contemporary. Maybe because it now looks old and dull.
    Are there any tips that you can give us to amend this please?
    By changing the paths, perhaps, to a different material? If so, which one?

Would a picture of our cottage style bridge help, to see if you or others can suggest we can make it less cottage style?

50. Annie Conway on May 31, 2022 at 9:35 pm

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and Erigeron is a weed here because it can grow anywhere and everywhere. Before you know it all your neighbours have them too, whether they wanted them or not 😂