Building RAISED BEDS and STARTING SEEDS for the GREENHOUSE GARDEN!

Building RAISED BEDS and STARTING SEEDS for the GREENHOUSE GARDEN!

Today we are building the raised bed garden in our new greenhouse. We are also starting seeds and sharing what plants we will be growing.

To learn more about this greenhouse, go to www.growerssolution.com. When you order, use our discount code TRADITIONALIST10 to receive 10% off your order (excludes shade clothes and custom signs).

#greenhouse #howtobuildagreenhouse #hoophouse #buildingagreenhouse

To see the products we use and recommend from Amazon visit our Amazon Store at: https://www.amazon.com/shop/livingtraditionshomestead

Etsy Shop

If you would like to support the homestead AND receive exclusive videos, blog posts and discounts for our Etsy shop consider supporting us on Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/livingtraditionshomestead

You can also support us through PayPal at:
info@livingtraditionshomestead.com

Also check out our Etsy Store for handmade items from the homestead: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LivingTraditionsMO

Our new rabbit cookbook can be found here:
Printed Copy: http://bit.ly/rabbitcookbook
Amazon Kindle Version: http://amzn.to/2zelDTu

****** Connect with Us! We’d Love to get to know you! ******

Website: www.LivingTraditionsHomestead.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/livingtraditionshomestead

Instagram: instagram.com/living_traditions

****** Email Us ******

info@livingtraditionshomestead.com

Send Snail Mail to:

Living Traditions Homestead
PO Box 323
Ava, MO 65608

****** About Living Traditions Homestead ******

Living Traditions Homestead is all about living a simple and sustainable way of life. We believe the world has gotten too “busy” and that people are missing out on many of the true blessings this world has to offer. We started as a small urban homestead in Gilbert, AZ and after the city grew up around us, decided it was time leave corporate America and take a big leap of faith by moving our family to the Missouri Ozarks.

We put out 3 new videos every week! Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. We hope you will become part of our homestead family by subscribing to our channel and watching as we transition from city dwellers to full time homesteaders!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

1. Bridges CWR on June 4, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Nice job. I was glad to see the pots. I have started with 6 large containers and all brasicas. This is our first try with containers here in 8B zone. The plants were free and look real strong. I look forward to more content from LTH.

2. Angie Carrera on June 4, 2022 at 9:06 pm

You guys are such an inspiration!

3. Diana Nazaroff on June 4, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Check out the channel ‘Gardening with Leon’ to show how to grow in your containers using a method that allows for self watering. Arms Family Homestead also uses the same method – they got it from Leon. 🙂 And they’re using the same mineral tubs you’re using.

4. Barbara vickroy on June 4, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Market gardener, Josh Sattin prep’s a planting row with layer of compost over native soil [clay], adding more compost with each crop replacement.

5. Pug Lissu on June 4, 2022 at 9:08 pm

Where are your goats?

6. Ca Bo on June 4, 2022 at 9:10 pm

💛

7. Southside Carly on June 4, 2022 at 9:10 pm

I’m excited for you guys!!! I would love one of those greenhouses.Cant believe it will be Spring before we know it!

8. Debra Woolard on June 4, 2022 at 9:11 pm

How will you heat it??

9. Car on June 4, 2022 at 9:13 pm

I have the mug in your thumbnail! My favorite mug😄

10. msmarymac on June 4, 2022 at 9:14 pm

At the risk of telling you things you already know – it might be a good idea to segment the raised bed into two or three sections. This way you can accommodate different watering and fertilizing needs for the plants. You may also be planning to make a jig/stencil for spacing the carrots or beets or other small plants. Getting them evenly spaced at the beginning will reduce the amount of thinning you need to do, a piece of mesh or broken piece of basket could work.
    Are you going to load in wood chips for the ground to help with warmth & moisture? I imagine you’ll do that before you put the plastic on your polytunnel.

11. Kathleen Schaefer on June 4, 2022 at 9:15 pm

Consider planting root crops not next to the edge of the bed. Rather, plant root crops six to twelve inches in from the edge so the roots are better insulated from cold temperature extremes.

12. Greenhorn Farmer on June 4, 2022 at 9:15 pm

Wondering what the cost or all that lumber and screws were? I want to do this but have no idea what the cost should be. I love your idea of the square foot gardening idea….are you also doing companion gardening?

13. Elderberry Farm Life on June 4, 2022 at 9:15 pm

I live in zone 8b. Is cilantro a cold weather plant?

14. Heather Wilkinson on June 4, 2022 at 9:16 pm

You guys are so inspiring! Thanks for all your videos.

15. No Stress Brewing on June 4, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Mel Bartholomew used to have a regular TV show on PBS stations. I started square foot gardening in the 1980’s and even though I have enough land now for a traditional garden, I still have a couple of square foot garden boxes closer to the house.

16. Christien’s Garden on June 4, 2022 at 9:18 pm

What kind of wood to make raised bed

17. Amelia Kat on June 4, 2022 at 9:19 pm

This is a great video. I love the massive bed. 😊

18. Stella Roederer on June 4, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Will having fresh veggies year round with the second greenhouse change how much you can?

19. trish y on June 4, 2022 at 9:27 pm

Looks wonderful

20. Rachel Ewing on June 4, 2022 at 9:27 pm

In my experience, neither cabbage nor cauliflower will fit into one square foot as per the square foot gardening method. Picture the size of one full-grown cabbage plant in your garden now try picturing it in one square foot?

21. Geni Hawk on June 4, 2022 at 9:29 pm

I think six feet is too wide. It is hard to reach the center to harvest. I did mine 4 ft wide and sometimes I wish I would have gone three ft wide. I don’t like to walk on my soil as it is not good to compact it , so just a thought

22. Daniel Skinner on June 4, 2022 at 9:31 pm

I must have missed you saying you would put some sort of plastic lining between the sides of the raised beds and the pine boards sides. I know that when exposed to wet soil, wood can rott fast. I have seen other gardeners do the plastic lining to help prevent wood rot. Thanks for sharing.

23. Elaine Bradley on June 4, 2022 at 9:33 pm

I believe peas can self pollinate.

24. Eric Jennings on June 4, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for your videos! Great inspiration Kevin and Sara!

25. Denise Brady on June 4, 2022 at 9:35 pm

Go Guys this is just fabulous !!! can’t wait to see this greenhouse in action as it has been well planned. We are lucky here in Sub-Tropical as our winters are nothing like yours so we can grow year round. Cheers Denise – Australia

26. pms1953 on June 4, 2022 at 9:36 pm

What was the size of your stakes in the ground lease?

27. GeorgeO2012 on June 4, 2022 at 9:38 pm

I was a construction engineer for 22 years and I would suggest that the amount of pressure on the side walls will end up collapsing the whole structure. You need lateral support for the walls, either in the form of wooden or metal struts. Without them, I can almost guarantee that you will have a serious problem.

28. Jeff Farris on June 4, 2022 at 9:40 pm

I also am curious how you guys decided on 6′ rather than the standard 4′ width. I think your explanation oh how this is a long-term project for you as you age totally explains the height you chose, which I think is very smart.

29. Charles Bouvier on June 4, 2022 at 9:42 pm

what kind of wood do you use for the raised bed

30. Whispering Eagle Landers on June 4, 2022 at 9:43 pm

I wish I knew which particular seeds to buy. There are several kinds of beers, cabbage, lettuce, etc.

31. Albert Larson on June 4, 2022 at 9:43 pm

Hi Sarah & Kevin: Al Larson Old ex farmer. Your sweet potato beds are so hard– Why don’t you get a trailer load of mulch & some fine sand a roto-till it into the soil. I think that would help a lot. Yours Al

32. Billy Bass on June 4, 2022 at 9:45 pm

BTW, I think if you only watch 5 minutes of that video, it will change your life. All his videos are great.

33. Sherry Tucker on June 4, 2022 at 9:45 pm

I suggest you go ahead and fill that bed BEFORE you finish BOTH of the end walls…KWIM?

34. Robin Melton on June 4, 2022 at 9:46 pm

For the bucket container gardening, I suggest you watch Gardening with Leon on you tube. He also has a new video out on what to do if your container already has holes in the bottom. I am going to try his bucket gardening method this year. It just makes sense.

35. joseph brown on June 4, 2022 at 9:47 pm

JudithB I am planting in my little greenhouse too! Cabbage and chard plants are doing really well. I wanted to buy iceberg lettuce at the store yest and all they had was the pre-packaged stuff. I like fewer hands in my food so buy it in its natural form!!! I am starting more lettuce in the house to transplant to the greenhouse and then to a tunnel bed in the garden in a few months. Spring and winter can be very busy in central Arkansas!! LOL

36. Frank Hammer on June 4, 2022 at 9:47 pm

I see some people are saying the raised bed is too wide. I have the solution…. Install a barn door roller trolley the length of the greenhouse at the highest point. Get yourselves a hang glider harness, attach the trolley wheels to the harness and work the center of the bed in comfort as you zip from one end to the other. Better install the stops at they ends so you don’t crash through the end wall if you go faster than a speeding bullet. 👍👍😀

37. Homesteading The Pioneer Way on June 4, 2022 at 9:48 pm

I use those tubs also good work guys

38. Mahin Shirazi on June 4, 2022 at 9:50 pm

2* 12 =24 , not 22 😆

39. Jeff Farris on June 4, 2022 at 9:50 pm

You guys have an awesome plan…just think of how much lettuce you will be able to grow in all of those pots once you get them all! My only question is about celery … it grows very slowly… but I suppose if you only dedicate a few square feet to it, you should be fine. My guess is, over time you will discover the plants and varieties that make best use of your space.

40. Michele Walters on June 4, 2022 at 9:51 pm

Will you need to add and thermal mass heat?

41. MY PERMACULTURE GARDEN on June 4, 2022 at 9:52 pm

That is going to be awesome !!! I like that greenhouse for sure !

42. That Gardener on June 4, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Nice learned how to make bed – was quite scared on how to do it. Thanks.

43. Joleena Hood on June 4, 2022 at 9:53 pm

I think before I put one of the end walls on, I would’ve built the raised bed, filled it with growing medium, THEN put the last end wall on; just for ease of filling the bed with maybe the tractor as it will take probably about 2-2.5 yards of dirt and/or compost to fill. And that’s a whole lot to be bringing in up and over the foot boards of the end walls. Just a thought. Please forgive me as I do not mean to critique. Is but a mere observation.

44. Kristine Sautter on June 4, 2022 at 9:54 pm

Remember that one cabbage plant takes up a full sq but before it does there is space to plant other things in that same sq. Things that take less time to grow and will be done before the cabbage needs the full space. That’s what Mel talked about in his sq foot method. It’s an intensive planting program to use all the space. Good luck and I can’t wait to see the results.

45. Jack Patteeuw on June 4, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Regarding lumber for those raised beds. If you can find a local lumber mill, rough sawn 2by boards (truly 2" thick) are a good choice. Building the walls, two 2×6 are more cost effective than one 2×12. The smaller boards are much less like to cup/warp. Also, screwing into end grain is not very strong. The simple solution is use 4×4 post at the corners and joints and then screw through the lumber into them.

46. Kansas Tam on June 4, 2022 at 9:56 pm

As far as filling a new raised bed, for the first year research straw bale gardening. You could fill it with bales, plant in them this year and use them as a base layer afterwards while they continue to compost. Might not be practical for you, just an idea. My 2nd year bales are basically composted loose straw that grows beautiful plants.

47. Ginger Bell on June 4, 2022 at 9:58 pm

so exciting ! love your videos

48. linda blanton on June 4, 2022 at 10:02 pm

I am so glad i found your channel! I can’t help but believe that God led me to it as I had never seen it before, then all of a sudden there you were…boom. I’ve learned so much and gotten so mant great tips already.

49. DIY On The House on June 4, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Well done!! Really appreciate the details. Thank you.

50. Blueiis Teaford on June 4, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Hope you put cardboard in the bottom at least three layers deep then your soil great job guys