Tomato Blooms But No Fruit | Gardening 101

Tomato Blooms But No Fruit | Gardening 101

Are your tomato plants exploding with growth & blooms but not setting fruit? In most cases, it’s a problem we can’t do much about… But don’t worry, it will correct itself! In this video, Elise Pickett of The Urban Harvest will explain why tomato flowers fall off so you can rest easy knowing it won’t be long before your organic gardening efforts are rewarded. It’s a simple problem with a simple solution that will allow you to grow your own sustainable Florida backyard vegetable garden. This Florida gardening 101 home gardening lesson will get even the beginner gardener to feel ready to grow organic vegetables in Florida.

0:00 Intro
1:01 How Heat Affects Tomatoes

__________________________________📆 Upcoming Events 📆 _____________________________
I teach several classes online and in person a month on rotating topics:

__________________________________ 🌱 Buy Vegetable Seeds 🌱___________________________
Shop my curated collection of organic heirloom seeds that thrive here in Florida:

__________________________________ 👋 Florida Seed Club 👋______________________________
Get 3 varieties of in season veggie, herb, & flower seeds shipped to your door each month:

__________________________________ 👩🏼‍🌾Free Planting Guide 👩🏼‍🌾______________________________
Get a free Florida what to plant when cheat-sheet by subscribing to my free monthly newsletter:

Urban Harvest

____________________________☀️ Recommended Garden Equipment List ☀️_________________
Everything from fertilizer to tools:

_______________________________ 📚Recommended Reading List 📚 ________________________
Suggested reading for starting a Florida veggie garden:

_______________________________ 👋 Book a Virtual Consultation 👋________________________
Video calls to get all your questions answered – it can be as long or short as needed:

_____________________________________ 👍🏼 Follow Me 👍🏼 ___________________________________
Follow me on Facebook & Instagram for quick tips and tricks:

1. Triple6 Clique on June 5, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Would bringing the plant inside help?

2. Joanne London on June 5, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Just wondering the best way in your estimation to self pollinate tomato plants, as well how to get a grander yield.I have lots of green but very little flowers.As well what would you recommend as a good all around fertilizer for tomatoes. I am currently using an organic product called Gia Green 4-4-4.Its an all purpose. Should I be using something else to bump up the yield. Thanks for your time and Happy Gardening!

3. All Things Houseplants on June 5, 2022 at 9:10 pm

What about flowers that look wilted before they open? Some flowers won’t open and look kind of dead. Is it a watering issue?

4. Marwan backer on June 5, 2022 at 9:12 pm

How many days to take from flowers bloom to tomato?

5. mariana tapia on June 5, 2022 at 9:12 pm

I live in Texas and my tomato plant does bloom but the tomatoes grow very small don’t grow normal size and get red but very tiny..what do you suggest

6. E Lopez on June 5, 2022 at 9:13 pm

So if humidity is the problem is it possible to have then inside the home be windows?

7. Ana Reyalvarez on June 5, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Why my tomato plants are drying too fast

8. Peggy Buti on June 5, 2022 at 9:15 pm

Can you put me down to receive your news letter! Peggybuti@gmail.com

9. sKennedy946 on June 5, 2022 at 9:15 pm

Hi, thanks for your videos, I have Everglades growing and although I have some fruit, a lot of branches just turn brown and dry up. One plant is directly in the ground and another is in a raised cotton bag but I see the roots have broken through and are in the ground as well. I water few times a week and we are in south Florida. Is it just not enough water? Thanks!

10. Subhani Boralassa on June 5, 2022 at 9:16 pm

I have more than 30 tomato plants but none of them has tomatoes flowers bloom but nothing soil is good temp is good I don t know what to do please reply me

11. Patricia Puffs Pot on June 5, 2022 at 9:18 pm

I live in Arizona is it too hot for my plant?

12. Guna Sagar on June 5, 2022 at 9:18 pm

My tomato tree start flowering and soon receptile of flower is diying can you plz 😟 say what is the condition of my tamotoes

13. Cheri Glaser on June 5, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for the tip!! Now I can wait for some tomatoes to appear, finally!

14. Rene Brown on June 5, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Thanks I see I am not alone now. The heat has been so brutal here in Florida the whole season.

15. Bucur Ilie on June 5, 2022 at 9:26 pm

Why are you wasting our time?

16. sariebou on June 5, 2022 at 9:28 pm

Thank you for this bc I’m in GA and yes it’s been soo hot and humid and I was beginning to wonder if I did something wrong bc it is my first time growing anything and I chose cherry tomatoes.

17. RU Listening on June 5, 2022 at 9:28 pm

My mom lives in Las Vegas. Temperatures are in the hundreds.
    My grampa grew his tomatoes in Yuma Arizona. Temperatures are well into the hundreds.
    Both of them get tons of tomatoes all summer. My mom swears by bloom-set spray.

18. Cindy P. on June 5, 2022 at 9:28 pm

I live in So. California and have a tomato plant that is in a sunny spot, has lots of flowers but isn’t producing any fruit at all. Our temps have been warm so I don’t know what the problem is. I had the same issue last year also, never got any fruit the whole growing season, just flowers.

19. After Burner on June 5, 2022 at 9:29 pm

so you need to build a fridge around your plants then. or use a cooling fan.

20. Rico Pigeons on June 5, 2022 at 9:32 pm

Where can I get those garden beds

21. todd pettit on June 5, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Than kyou so much for this video . I’m in Texas so that explains alot. Question though….SHould I wait until fall to plant the plants? I have one that has been growing and growing since the spring but no fruit yet. So wonder if it has anything to do with planting them in the spring!?
    Thanks for your response. I’m so frustrated as I want to grow more things and my first couple of tomatoe plants have been a bust!!

22. Donna Stormer on June 5, 2022 at 9:37 pm

I just found your channel. I’m in Panama City, where are you? This is my first year I’ve had problems with no fruit on my tomato blossoms. I’ve seen a community garden built like yours , they look pretty. I’m 65 and have 2 large flat gardens that I manage with drip tape and a hand plow. Thanks for giving out this info. One is never to old to learn!

23. Poonam Kukreti on June 5, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Fungus gnats I have read the articles but they’re spreading in other plants if I separate them then also appeared in others after sometime 👀

24. Wardrobelion on June 5, 2022 at 9:37 pm

My Cherokee purple grew all fall/winter and produced flowers but never got fruit. Something ravaged parts of them and I pruned them back but still had great pruned plants with flowers and still no fruit. I’m in central Florida and it’s mid March now with flowers still and no fruit…?! I’ve never had such trouble with tomato plants before. I’ve actually had luck in the past with growing them until mid May here…🤔🧐😎

25. Luminita Popa on June 5, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Hello. My niece grew some tomatoe plants in the house. She put the growing lights on them, but very small containers. Now they grew very tall, kinda slim, flowers, but No fruit at all:(. What she should do?? Thank youuu!!

26. cynthia menon on June 5, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Appreciate that the plant is stressed but what is the solution apart from providing some shade

27. Vijayakumar Vijay on June 5, 2022 at 9:40 pm

Super.idea

28. Jp Alabama on June 5, 2022 at 9:40 pm

What if you partially shade the plants?

29. Tina Canas on June 5, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Help!! My tomatoes looks gorgeous but no flowers or fruits 🍎 I need

30. Shanto Kalappurakkal on June 5, 2022 at 9:42 pm

Ohh really, one of my indoor tomato plant is doing the same but other one producing the fruits. I was thinking to get ride of it but i wait until the summer end in Toronto, Canada.

31. Qiqi’s coconut milk on June 5, 2022 at 9:45 pm

My cherry tomatoes is not growing flowers and fruits

32. Marlene Walthart on June 5, 2022 at 9:48 pm

I live in Iowa and it is a LOT cooler. I have a plant that went out late and has a couple blossoms but they are not opening. Not sure what to do. ill they bloom inside?

33. Kacie Boyden on June 5, 2022 at 9:51 pm

thank you! we got fruit but then a bunch of flowers so i was wondering what comes next in the FL tomato growing journey

34. Max Kielbasa on June 5, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Do the insects need to polinate flowers for fruit?

35. Jovone Norman on June 5, 2022 at 9:54 pm

This was very helpful thank you 👍🏼

36. ចង់ដឹងទេ? YOU NO? on June 5, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Thanks so much. I’m from Cambodia. This is the important tips to me growing tomatoes.

37. Jackson Coleman on June 5, 2022 at 9:55 pm

I’m in Texas and my tomato plant is flowering but no tomatoes but my neighbors also have a tomato plant be they have tomatoes everywhere why

38. George Penguin on June 5, 2022 at 9:55 pm

I don’t think that’s the problem. Here in Greece my tomato’s are crazy and producing tons of tomato’s at 44 Celsius and 80% humid. To me That happens only when to much nitrogen is added instead of phosphorus.

39. Kelvin Waldropt on June 5, 2022 at 9:56 pm

My plant flowers not opening cam you help me please

40. Michael Cribb on June 5, 2022 at 9:57 pm

Its June in Charleston South Carolina and 2 of my mater plants have a single fruit but flowers bloom and drop any ideas

41. evelyn247 on June 5, 2022 at 9:58 pm

Hello, I’m in the Tampa Bay Area 9b and as you already know, this 2020 October heat wave isn’t helping with the typical cooler temps we’d have by now. I sowed a few varieties on 9/2 and thinned today 10/12. They’ve already started the hardening off under 30% shade cloth last 2 weeks. Since it’s still so hot, when do you recommend I plant in the raised bed? This is my first year of gardening period, and I’ve over 24 baby tomato plants to figure out what to do with LOL (sun gold, black cherry, sweet million and super sweet100). Thanks in advance!

42. Mohit Here on June 5, 2022 at 10:00 pm

My tomato plant has only 2 tomatoes attached to it. Those two tomatoes grown a little but now its not growing. Its flowering, i am hand pollinating it, thise are getting polinated but tomatoes are not growing after pollination. I am adding fertilizer vermicompost + npk. I am also giving epsom salt water in a month. I am pinching its all leaves continuously to save its enery for fruit growth. But the fruits are not growing. Please help.

43. Clyde Barker on June 5, 2022 at 10:02 pm

How much were your raised beds without soil? Looks great hqve been checking prices but havent locked any in yet.

44. kerthえ on June 5, 2022 at 10:04 pm

Well that makes sense, because here in the Philippines every day is summer and it almost 30-39°c here. I have 4 tomato tree and it almost 3months but there is only 1 fruit!!. And it grows from the smallest tree i have.

45. Jesus Santiago on June 5, 2022 at 10:04 pm

Thanks for you video. We have several tomatoes plants in Florida and they have grown very tall and full of leaves, but not any tomatoes. These past weeks we noticed that it started to bloom and today we got our first tiny tomato. So as we learn with your video it’s a matter of time. Can you comment if Peppers have the same behavior?

46. Suena Johnson on June 5, 2022 at 10:04 pm

The bottom leaves of my Husky cherry tomato plant gets yellow color, can you tell me why? My plant also only gets flowers and no fruit. I planed my Husky cherry tomato plant on a self water pot. I’m very puzzled right now, so any advice will be appreciated!

47. AnnMarie Brojek on June 5, 2022 at 10:05 pm

How do I save the tomato plants now, they are full grown and flowers bloom right now in Florida but now I know it’s too hot and too humid

48. 44MzMaMa The FAT Girl Chronicles on June 5, 2022 at 10:05 pm

49. Peter Adams on June 5, 2022 at 10:08 pm

I was almost about to pull my tomatoes out until I watched this.
    I didn’t even think that the heat would be the cause.
    Thanks

50. *remii* on June 5, 2022 at 10:08 pm

I’m not even getting flowers besides the 5 on one plant that I have. Lol I’m in the northeast & it’s the end of may. Is it just going to take time? Container for 4 In ground 1.