How to Build a Long and Narrow Planter Box | $40 Lumber

How to Build a Long and Narrow Planter Box | $40 Lumber

How to Build a Long and Narrow Planter Box | $40 Lumber
Click the red SUBSCRIBE button or click here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLYZiBmpiHjS0DpEDbk_B2w?sub_confirmation=1
to see more videos just like this – I make videos like this every week!

☀ Social

INSTA – https://www.instagram.com/kristygreen_/
TWITTER – https://twitter.com/KristyGreen_

☀ Videos You Might Like..

DIY…
More Outdoor Planter Boxes – https://youtu.be/UlrN2mE5TO0
Quick and Easy Garage Shelves – https://youtu.be/Z36aIPCB62k
Easy Garage Workbench – https://youtu.be/aYAI5HnyI2M
Pallet Wood End Tables – https://youtu.be/Na-nyGdQExE
Farmhouse Table Top – https://youtu.be/m72Gf6sXxFg

☀ About me

I’m into building things for my home, lover of all things healthy/organic/non-toxic, learning new things, kind people & newly interested in a simplified lifestyle.
_____________________________

FOR THIS PROJECT YOU WILL NEED:

MATERIALS LIST:

(14) 1x6x6 Dog Ear Pickets – weather treated
(3) 2x4x8s – weather treated
(2) 2x2x6s – weather treated
(1) Box of Screws
120 grit Sandpaper
Exterior Wood Glue
Exterior Wood Filler (for filling screw holes)
Exterior Paint/stain + paint supplies

CUT LIST:
(12) 1x6x6 @ 71-1/4″ (long front/back sides)
(12) 1x6x6 @ 11″ (short left/right sides)
(6) 2x4x8 @ 35-1/4″ (for right, left, middle leg sets)
(6) 2x4x8 @ 11″ (for inner supports)
(2) 2x2x6 @ 69-1/2″

TOOLS LIST:
Tape measurer
Miter saw (or ask your home improvement store to make the cuts for you)
Power drill
Safety glasses
Level

—————————

Once a week I upload a new DIY video.

If you want to get in touch with a business inquiry, shoot an email to mamawantstobuild@gmail.com

1. Adam Der on June 11, 2022 at 9:34 pm

I’d like to do exactly how you did it. How much did it cost to buy the wood ? I’m not sure how you were able to do it for $40?

2. Dan Of All Trades on June 11, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Awesome! Way to go. Found a good DIY. Thanks for posting

3. Ciara Trujillo on June 11, 2022 at 9:38 pm

What did you put inside of them to hold the plants? Was there a large trough planter bin inside or did you just put the plants in their existing pots right inside the box?

4. Adrian Tudor on June 11, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Awesome job I am looking to do the same for my patio

5. J. Henry on June 11, 2022 at 9:39 pm

I love the video and will subscribe for sure but wondering if you could slow down just a bit on your explanations or edit in a way that allows us to take in the information for a beat without having to pause and rewind 100x? Thanks for the great insight once again.

6. DIYWithDara on June 11, 2022 at 9:40 pm

super cute!! i need some like this too! i love the idea but theres so much wood involved! i’d have to make a list before i go to home depot to actually buy all this! then rewatch this video like a thousand times! ; ) definitely worth a shot though!

7. Callihan Hopwood on June 11, 2022 at 9:40 pm

I use Woodprix plans for all my joinery. Google and try it out.

8. Oscar Hernandez on June 11, 2022 at 9:42 pm

Feeling inspired by your video. Purchased my first home 10 months ago and want to build this for my covered patio. I don’t have the power tools, would a hand saw be a pain in the butt to work with for this project? Thanks!

9. Ligaya G on June 11, 2022 at 9:42 pm

Does anyone know the height of this planter?

10. SobeHall on June 11, 2022 at 9:45 pm

Curious about the choice I’m height of the boxes … I’m not sure why they are that tall, regarding plants growing but also isn’t there a higher risk of these tipping easily with weight inside?

11. Lindsay Joseph on June 11, 2022 at 9:46 pm

I made two of these! It took me two days, by myself. No previous experience, it was my first time using a circular saw!! They turned out awesome! I wish I could give you a hug, they look beautiful in front of my house!

12. Cassie Bourque on June 11, 2022 at 9:46 pm

Love these planter boxes! What kind of plant containers would work with this plan?

13. D D on June 11, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Made 2 planter boxes, a 4×2 & 2×2. Used 2×3 inch posts and 6 foot pine pickets. Nails, stain. Total cost $78.

14. melvin hernandez on June 11, 2022 at 9:47 pm

You are the answer to all my question…thanks for the videos very helpful

15. Travel_with_sam on June 11, 2022 at 9:48 pm

No Thanks 🤔

16. tkschannel on June 11, 2022 at 9:49 pm

Dont use pressure treated lumber if you are making planters for vegetables or herbs, it will leech in the soild very toxic..

17. Vom808 on June 11, 2022 at 9:50 pm

My wife and I loves your planters.
    We’re starting to make the today. Mahalo!

18. Libby Hollinger on June 11, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Can’t WAIT to try this project!! I was wondering- do you happen to also have a written version of your instructions. I have a bit of a hearing impairment and it’s a little tricky processing all of the instructions through closed captioning. Just thought I’d ask :). So excited to have found this channel and I can’t wait to watch the rest of your vids!

19. ohcrapitsmrG on June 11, 2022 at 9:51 pm

I would not use deck stain if it is vegetable garden. Just in case any viewers plan to do something similar. Stain can lead out side the soil.

20. Robert Leon on June 11, 2022 at 9:56 pm

Where do you buy your wood. Home Depot’s 5′ pickets are 3.59@14

21. Sequoya Lee on June 11, 2022 at 9:56 pm

This post is from awhile ago but i wanted to see if you can clarify the materials list if for all three planters or just one?

22. Laticia Cull on June 11, 2022 at 9:56 pm

Woodbex is nice for that.

23. Melissa P on June 11, 2022 at 10:00 pm

These are gorgeous and look perfect to put in front of my trashcan hiders in the front yard that I am making a patio for. The patio will have a lot of dirt / soil leftover. Do you think I could fill the base with the dirt and soil, instead of doing the shelves, or do you think that would make it too heavy and it would seep through / they would fall over?

24. Michi Ayala on June 11, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Wow! These are awesome. It can help with my privacy issue. Only wish you can build them for me….😉 I’m in Florida…do you deliver? I’ll pick up…😂

25. recordshopper on June 11, 2022 at 10:03 pm

Youre badass!

26. d bart on June 11, 2022 at 10:04 pm

Awsome

27. Richard Chacon on June 11, 2022 at 10:07 pm

hi

28. Zac Jones on June 11, 2022 at 10:08 pm

Awesome Planter boxes! Can’t beat the price point to make them either! Thanks for the video!

29. Range on June 11, 2022 at 10:08 pm

Very nice. Im going to use a smaller version for window boxes!

30. Kimberly Sandoz on June 11, 2022 at 10:09 pm

Hi my name is Kimberly. Can I ask for your help?

31. Castle of Costa Mesa on June 11, 2022 at 10:09 pm

Thank you for your wonderful tutorial! I am looking to build something similar to directly hold soil and grow climbing roses in my long and narrow alleyway (without using separate planted bins inside). I wonder if the structure, lined inside, will be strong enough to hold dirt, water and climbing roses. Fence boards are not as thick as regular 2×4. Would soil moisture warp the narrow and tall planter over time? Thank you!

32. Maila Loomy on June 11, 2022 at 10:13 pm

My adventure with the tree began with projects from Woodprix.

33. Debbie Dawson on June 11, 2022 at 10:14 pm

Another great job Kristy! Love watching all of your projects.

34. John Helton on June 11, 2022 at 10:14 pm

I did something like this a month ago with plans from Woodglut.

35. rnavila on June 11, 2022 at 10:15 pm

I love these and will be trying to make them soon. The materials list is for one planter box correct?

36. Ali Mirza on June 11, 2022 at 10:15 pm

Not very informative …

37. Mav on June 11, 2022 at 10:16 pm

You’re so pretty, Kristy! Thanks for sharing this build, hope to try it with my mum 😊

38. Sarah Nicole on June 11, 2022 at 10:18 pm

Hey girl! I have been watching (and LOVING) your videos, and just thought I’d say hi!
    I’ve always loved to build things too, and have recently started to think about projects we are going to do this year at our new house. I’ve been just loving your projects, and watching you be able to pull them off, as I’m also just a mom – not much experience 😬
    Keep doin ya thing, these are great videos!

Xoxo,

Sarah Nicole

39. Libby Hollinger on June 11, 2022 at 10:18 pm

Just to clarify- is the materials list for one planter box or three?

40. OsamaB on June 11, 2022 at 10:19 pm

The planters will rot eventually how do you avoid that?

41. Louise Fulton on June 11, 2022 at 10:21 pm

1st time watching and I like the finished product so much, but you go thru the proess so quickly, I’m not sure how I could keep up. It really is great planter box but even if I was trying to keep notes, I know I couldn’t. Thanks

42. Romaine Athey on June 11, 2022 at 10:24 pm

Great to see that… I made it too. Using woodprix handbooks 🙂

43. Follow me on Insta! @athomewitherikab on June 11, 2022 at 10:25 pm

I cannot believe that I found this video on your channel 2 this was the next one that I was looking to build myself for inspiration on YouTube because we needed to add more green as a part of our city requirement for our new fixer-upper and this is absolutely perfect thank you so much it was definitely God‘s plan that I ran into your channel this morning!!!

44. Cuttoowhit on June 11, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Ok went to Lowe’s got the wood all cut. So excited to see if I can do this. Thanks for the inspiration

45. Valerie Wray on June 11, 2022 at 10:26 pm

I can’t wait to try this!

46. JBrealow Alabbad on June 11, 2022 at 10:27 pm

Hi

47. dee feran on June 11, 2022 at 10:27 pm

Thank you, i need to ask husband to try this, but i have personal question what are the height this planter box?

48. Joseph Hall on June 11, 2022 at 10:28 pm

Did you put casters on them? Or were they going directly on the ground in your yard? I like this idea and would consider it to separate spaces on my back patio (But would add casters, so I could move if necessary)

49. Duca Schoenberg on June 11, 2022 at 10:31 pm

I heard very good opinions about the Stodoys plans.

50. Manuel Zamora on June 11, 2022 at 10:32 pm

Great video except for the fact that used treated lumber, people may plant vegetables in these boxes and the chemicals used for treated lumber have been known to cause cancer, good except used cedar or pine, all should be untreated lumber.