New Vegetable Garden: How To Get Started

New Vegetable Garden: How To Get Started

It’s time to get GROWING! But where do you even start?! Whether you’re a seasoned gardener wanting to expand your growing area or a starting your very first vegetable garden, Ben has some top tips up his green sleeves for you that will help you get the most out of your budget and your space.

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at https://BigBugHunt.com

And finally, for anyone living in the UK who’s curious about where we sourced the mushroom compost and bark chippings, the website is here: https://www.springbridge.co.uk/

1. Miss dee Thinking on June 11, 2022 at 8:52 pm

You make the information easy to grasp. I am not so intimidated by my own novice beginnings.

2. Bold Follower on June 11, 2022 at 8:53 pm

Do you ever have issues with the dogs digging in the raised beds?

3. Glenn Child on June 11, 2022 at 8:54 pm

How do I get the app I can’t find in a discription

4. Beautiful Abstractions on June 11, 2022 at 8:56 pm

I’m a long-time subscriber. Thank you so much for the wealth of gardening knowledge!

5. No1 on June 11, 2022 at 8:58 pm

Your video is very helpful! I’m a beginner, starting my small garden today.

6. Christopher O'Connor on June 11, 2022 at 8:58 pm

I’ve been very inspired by your channel and a number of others… to the point of making my own raised garden beds… with sticks (I "wove" them into a frame). We have some what limited space and I wanted to dedicate some to growing, I also had a lot of branches from starting to actually tidy up our yard so I decided to use our "waste" to make the dedicated growing areas.
    https://youtu.be/81GndMUD2eU poor quality video (and a bit long… you can just skip to the end to see the results) but it shows the basic process. I’m looking forward to seeing what I can grow.

7. Emma Holding on June 11, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Finding your videos very useful and we’re starting out but using old oak barrels keeping everything crossed all will be well

8. Nia Lewis on June 11, 2022 at 8:59 pm

I am starting my first veg garden in container pots in a victorian terraced house’s tiny paved backyard. I grew up with grandparents who had their own allotments and gardens full of fruit and veg and I loved helping on them as a child. For the last 20 years I have lived in flats and I am so excited to start growing my own fruit and veg finally!

9. DutchAquariumZone on June 11, 2022 at 9:00 pm

Wat is that big plant in the middel at 00:01:51

10. Donna S on June 11, 2022 at 9:00 pm

this is a great video!! thanks and love your dog helping!! as mine will also be helping as I start my first raised garden bed!!

11. Denis Conor on June 11, 2022 at 9:02 pm

Great stuff.

12. doedevaleri on June 11, 2022 at 9:02 pm

Cardboard all fine, but weeds Come from above 🤪

13. Allie F on June 11, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Inherited a house with a beautiful big garden that has unfortunately been neglected for many years. It’s a jungle and full of weeds and we have zero experience with gardening. So your videos are really helpful to get started! Thanks 🙂

14. Saekan on June 11, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Thank you for your videos! I’m going to be starting my first garden this year and I’m finding all your hints super helpful. It’s also nice to see how messy and casual the process is, even in the hands of a professional. hahaha. Sometimes I feel self conscious with my whole ‘garden mess’ project, but it’s DIRT, after all!

15. Debra Lynn Bailey on June 11, 2022 at 9:06 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us 🇺🇸

16. Shelly Jeffares on June 11, 2022 at 9:08 pm

I am taking over an abandoned allotment that has grown wild! There’s a polytunnel and 4 or 5 raised beds already in place. Everything has bolted and flowered, so my plan is to clear it all back and use that to start compost, then freshen the beds and plant new seeds. I don’t really know what I’m doing but I’m looking forward to it! Plenty of useful videos here, thanks.

17. Tiffany Dawson on June 11, 2022 at 9:08 pm

Your enthusiasm has me feeling so excited! I’ve never had a yard in all my life, and I’m a new proud lawn owner, planting my first garden. So far I have two raised beds and I’m planning out what to grow.

18. New Acid Planet on June 11, 2022 at 9:08 pm

Your laid back extremely informative tips here are just what I need! I have some space to the side of the garage ( now garden shed) and it faces West. So an ideal place for my first vegie plot! I have watched countless videos and tv shows but now I am ready to actually start! Thanks for the videos and Ill be looking at your website too. Thank you so much!

19. SJ Fam on June 11, 2022 at 9:09 pm

We are hearing impair and would love to have close Caption, is IT possible for uš? Thanking.

20. Violet Goben on June 11, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Enjoyed!

21. Sean's World on June 11, 2022 at 9:10 pm

Very inspirational, it’s great to give people the confidence to give it a try 👏. l can see you get a lot of happiness from your garden, as do l. 🌎 😊👍

22. Ryan Ling on June 11, 2022 at 9:12 pm

Hi my name is Nikki, I love just watching how you go about your garden .

23. Dawn Johnson on June 11, 2022 at 9:12 pm

❤️

24. Mr Bigglesworth on June 11, 2022 at 9:12 pm

This is by far the best channel I have seen on growing. Thank you for the channel and all the effort and content.

25. Jodie preddy on June 11, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Hi I was wondering what area of the country you live in, I want to get sowing outdoors but am worried in case in too cold, I’m in the West Midlands, but can see you’ve already started planting outdoor, thank you, love hearing your tips

26. Dolly Perry on June 11, 2022 at 9:14 pm

excellent video 🙂

27. Anette Wold Johansen on June 11, 2022 at 9:17 pm

I am so happy to have found your channel. You have great tips, and explain things in a simple and understandable way. I really love that you find solutions that are cheaper and more enivromental friendly. You are a great teacher. And I love your dog! He/she is soo cute.

28. Nataly on June 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm

I love your videos Ben! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. 🙂

29. Rebecca Ingersoll on June 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Great video! I’m beginning to garden with a raised bed this year!

30. Amanda Gia on June 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Is it too late in season to start this now? We just moved to a new home, and there are 2 raised beds I’m hoping to start my first garden with.

31. Logical Human on June 11, 2022 at 9:24 pm

With inflation I’ve decided to prepare before there’s no food on the shelves

32. Angel Shrestha on June 11, 2022 at 9:27 pm

Hi Ben, how do you keep cats off from defecating in your veggie garden. I have cats and I am worried they will defecate in my veggie garden I want to create.

33. Margarita on June 11, 2022 at 9:27 pm

You are always such an inspired "mentor" for me , ha ha I have planted direct over the grass with cardboard , with leaves and branches from the Forest and also ,what you did ,a kind of pallet collar , this year all cover with a nettle I find less slugs than ever inside my crop… Thank you

34. Where There Is Love on June 11, 2022 at 9:30 pm

Does anyone add Fish Blood and Bone to their compost?
    Or perlite (sp)?
    About to start container veg growing.
    Many thanks to all my gardening friends on here. x

35. Michael Gallaugher on June 11, 2022 at 9:32 pm

This is great. I’m starting a raised bed vegetable garden for the first time this season and am really excited. Thanks for this video 😀

36. eyreland on June 11, 2022 at 9:33 pm

Dump ALL incumbents. They have made us dependent on mass processed food production.

37. Evelyn Ramos on June 11, 2022 at 9:34 pm

I don’t know anything about gardening…
    But after watching your video, it encourages me to start my own food garden 🪴 especially during these times of inflation and upcoming forecast of food shortages. Love your simple and easy to follow techniques. Your garden looks fresh, clean and pretty. Is how I would like my food garden to produce and how I would like it to look 🌞

38. direct dil se on June 11, 2022 at 9:35 pm

Ghfh

39. richtea78 on June 11, 2022 at 9:35 pm

The dog was looking pissed off that you broke all his sticks!

40. piposanchez on June 11, 2022 at 9:37 pm

17:08 "If you don’t fancy all that bending over, you can go the other way!" 👀

41. Ian Morton on June 11, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Iv just got an alotment im going to use old bath tubs as raised beds as i kan get them all the time grate vidio from uk

42. Rachelle Ticzon on June 11, 2022 at 9:38 pm

rosie @ 9:00 lol

43. Where There Is Love on June 11, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Rosie is the star of the show, she is so sweet.
    Thank you for your videos, they are such a great guide; so informative, relaxing and relatable.
    Much love to you and darling Rosie.
    x

44. Snazzy Josh on June 11, 2022 at 9:40 pm

Finally a video that gets straight to the point with helpful and important information to start a veggie garden.Thank you

45. Claire Byrne on June 11, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Loving your videos so so informative, very grateful, just got high raised bed, trying to decide what veggies to plant

46. debbie polk on June 11, 2022 at 9:44 pm

I’m interested in starting my own raised garden. This video was very informative thanks so much.

47. Dusty Flats on June 11, 2022 at 9:46 pm

Lol! Fishing out bits of plastic and glass sounds like our whole property from previous ownership mismanagement. It’s dreadful.
    Hope I can help SIL start some beds soon at her new place. Thanks for the simple basics to get growing.

48. Norma Levin on June 11, 2022 at 9:46 pm

i must say your enthusiasm really gets me motivated. I am a keen gardener but have never grown food for consumption. Definitely going to grow some veggies

49. Rebekah R on June 11, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Relatively new to gardening. I’ve had some rough starting years. I will definitely be using your cardboard, compost, top soil method to start fresh, just to see if we can combat the weeds better from the start. It probably seems obvious to those of you who have gardened all your lives, but just watching a knowledgeable person lay out cardboard over living plants, not just pulling them out, gave me tacit permission to do the same. I appreciate this video so much!!

50. Julissa Taveras on June 11, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Great video! Very informative, entertaining and encouraging