Lumber Dealers Don't Want You To Know About This SECRET WOOD For RAISED BED GARDENING

Have you seen the price of lumber lately? Lumber has gotten so expensive that building raised bed gardens has become unaffordable. I discovered the cheapest lumber that’s high quality for raised bed gardening! Lumber dealers don’t want you to know about this secret wood!

TABLE OF CONTENTS
0:00 The Benefits Of Raised Bed Gardening
1:25 Recent Lumber Prices Increase
2:15 My Secret Lumber For Building Raised Beds
3:40 Lumber Cost Comparison – HUGE SAVINGS!
5:08 Lumber Size Comparison For Building A Raised Bed Garden
7:08 How I’m Using This Cheap Lumber
8:50 Adventures With Dale

If you have questions about how to build a raised bed garden, growing edible landscaping or a food forest, want to know about the things I grow in my garden, are looking for gardening tips and tricks, have questions about vegetable gardening and organic gardening in general, or want to share some DIY and “how to” garden tips and gardening hacks of your own, please ask in the Comments below!

**************************************************
VISIT MY AMAZON STOREFRONT FOR PRODUCTS I USE MOST OFTEN IN MY GARDEN*

**************************************************
VISIT MY MERCHANDISE STORE

**************************************************
SUPPORT MY SECOND CHANNEL!

**************************************************

**************************************************
SOCIAL MEDIA
Follow Me on TWITTER (@NCGardening) https://twitter.com/NCGardening
Follow Me on INSTAGRAM https://www.instagram.com/millennialgardener_nc/

**************************************************
ABOUT MY GARDEN
Location: Southeastern NC, Brunswick County (Wilmington area)
34.1°N Latitude
Zone 8A

**************************************************
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
© The Millennial Gardener

#gardening #gardeningtips #raisedbedgarden #raisedbedgardening #diy

1. King Ardoin on June 12, 2022 at 9:11 pm

secret tip home depot will make free one cut on bords you buy

2. Julene Allen on June 12, 2022 at 9:12 pm

We lined our gravel driveway with those 4 to 5 years ago and they are pretty much all disintegrated now. I got them at Lowe’s. Perhaps their quality is sub par.

3. The Millennial Gardener on June 12, 2022 at 9:13 pm

I’m pinning this comment for all to see: *Modern residential pressure treated lumber is safe in your garden.* Modern residential lumber uses micronized copper azole as a preservative, abbreviated MCA or CA. it is non-toxic and safe for use in your garden. Many decades ago, chromated copper arsenate (CCA) treatment was used, but this has long been banned in residential applications and is only used in commercial, industrial and marine settings. Unfortunately, some organic gardeners keep spreading this false myth. Don’t use wood utility poles and railroad ties that are CCA treated. Modern MCA/CA lumber is safe. If fact, you can go out and buy OMRI-certified liquid copper fungicide for use in your garden.

If you are concerned about copper leaching, don’t be. Not only have many garden channels documented soil tests in their garden showing negligible leaching from copper in treated wood, the substance is non-toxic, anyway. If soil leaching disqualifies "organic gardening," then you cannot use treated water from a city/town water supply, you cannot use rainwater collected in plastic rain barrels due to phthalates leaching, you cannot use a garden hose or drip irrigation tubing due to leaching of phthalates, and you cannot use well water due to the leaching of phthalates, either. Where do you draw the line?

The "organic" label has a lot of meaning in a grocery store – it means your food hasn’t been doused with toxic chemicals. In the backyard garden, "organic" is a largely meaningless distinction. We aren’t dousing our plants with chemicals in our backyards, and what you grow in your backyard will be superior to the best organic grocery store produce.

4. Misorganic1 on June 12, 2022 at 9:14 pm

My dog had ear infections until I stopped feeding him grain-filled food. Dog food companies are not your dog’s friends please people be careful what you feed your dog. After my experience with my best friend Jake I promise you I will never feed my dog dog food again I will give him table scraps cuz my diet is really healthy full of vegetables and fruit and if it’s good enough for me it’s good enough for him I do include meat so again I will never buy dog food ever again I think it’s another big lie that the manufacturers try to put on us. When we were kids we never knew anything about dog food our dogs are fine they were healthy and strong and lived long lives I would never chip my dog either or and be very careful about the vaccines. I think it’s another big farmma of lie

5. Chase Millis on June 12, 2022 at 9:14 pm

Dude heck yeah!! This video is friggin awesome, I didn’t actually believe you at first but you’re totally right!! I just checked it out at my store in Houston and holy crap it’s the exact same price as your video 👏👏👏🥳🥳🥳

6. Bryan Simon on June 12, 2022 at 9:14 pm

I’ve found that heat treated (HT), not chemical treated, pallets make long lasting, sturdy, safe, and cheap raised beds.
    Although they’re cheap (free!), they’re tough to work with. I highly recommend a pallet buster tool. You can buy a metal one or make one out of scrap lumber.
    I break them down, use the middle lumber, usually 2x4s, as framing, then set the planks vertically like a picket fence all the way around. Beds are 4′ tall.
    I fill them hugelkulture style…. limbs, stumps, pine cones, etc. on bottom, then wood chips/hay/leaves, then about 16"-18" of compost at the top.

7. Wayne Stobbe on June 12, 2022 at 9:15 pm

I live in a wine growing region and vineyards replace the posts after they’ve started to rot in the ground. In some cases they are indeed rotten and that part need to be cut off. Many times the wood has merely discoloured but they remove and replace whole roads at once.

Vineyards simply give them away.

I look out for them in market place.

Recent picked up a stack pf 2400×15 posts to frame up a shade house

8. Charles Wieand on June 12, 2022 at 9:18 pm

Some folks don’t know when not to BLAB secrets

9. Max on June 12, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Hello I just found you great video
    I noticed you had some black weed tarp or something on your ground and I’m new to gardening I’ve tried a lot of black weed paper with the weed still come up that stuff looks strong what is it

10. Ruthy Hoskins on June 12, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Thank you for the video, I am anxious to see local prices!!!

11. Fordman on June 12, 2022 at 9:21 pm

I used some for a flower bed it it didn’t even last two years

12. Chet Marcotti on June 12, 2022 at 9:22 pm

13. Brenda White on June 12, 2022 at 9:22 pm

How does treated timber impact organic gardening? I thought it was harmful.

14. Go Big and Go Homeschool on June 12, 2022 at 9:24 pm

This video and all the comments have been very helpful!

15. Wayne Friese on June 12, 2022 at 9:25 pm

I got old rail road ties

16. DryRoastedNutz on June 12, 2022 at 9:28 pm

LOL, So the secret is using landscaping timber for landscaping a raised bed? I have to give a thumbs down for tricking people into clicking on this.

17. HeavyD on June 12, 2022 at 9:28 pm

I’ve used landscape timbers as well but they rot too fast. Plus I don’t like using pressure treated wood for growing my vegetables.
    Now I’m using old 6×8 dog ear fence panels. I cut them lengthwise to make 6×3 raised beds with old 4×4 scrap as the corner posts.
    They work great and last longer than the landscape timbers.

18. mickie westcott on June 12, 2022 at 9:29 pm

0ressure treated wood is full of chemicals that leaches into you soil, and your foods.
    Cheaper is not always best

19. Just Another Person on June 12, 2022 at 9:29 pm

I clicked on this because I truly did buy my wood from HD with purple spray ……hell ya. Paid about as much as you stated too. Yup, wood $$ is over the top.

20. look2much2 on June 12, 2022 at 9:29 pm

You can only hold the grass back so long. It will eventually find its way back in but will be manageable at least. Not sure how you keep up everything and have a life. Thanks for all your vids. Very helpful.

21. iamdjsluggo on June 12, 2022 at 9:32 pm

Shouldn’t be using pressure treated on a garden. The material that is used to treat the wood is caustic and know to cause cancer.
    Not what you want leaching into your crop.

22. Ghostwalker Airsoft Tech on June 12, 2022 at 9:33 pm

get some pieces of rebar …if you stack them on their sides…drill holes all the way through and pound the rebar stakes through them to hold them in place…and even better source of wood…picket fence…lowes has them about 4-5 ft long for around $3 each…

23. Melissa Jamison on June 12, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Do u have a video showing how to build it. I’m really interested in doing it this way. Thanks

24. Yuberkys Santos on June 12, 2022 at 9:35 pm

Can I grow root vegetables as well on beds made from this timbers?

25. COMICBOOKJEDI1 on June 12, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Those boards have been treated with chemicals that will leech into the soil and into the food you are producing . Cheap is not always better bud. This best wood to use is cedar as it, is the most bug and weather resistant . If price is an issue and it is with most people steel raised bed are the best for the money and will last a really long time and no danger of leeching into the ground and plants.

26. Septimiu Kent on June 12, 2022 at 9:39 pm

I use this one to building I made years ago a small cabin this is nothing to me

27. Donald Jones on June 12, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Very good information but have you considered using planter wall blocks from Home Depot? Here in GA the are about $3.50 apiece. You can stack the blocks so the beds can be built as tall as you like. I use scrap 2 x 4s to connect the blocks which I can always find thrown away in construction areas. If you want long beds you might have buy the lumber but 2 x 4s are the cheapest wood you can purchase. Just lay the blocks where you want them, connect them with the timbers and you are good to go. No nails or screws.

28. Jay G on June 12, 2022 at 9:39 pm

Affordability is in the mind of the beholder. I sell and install built-in raised redwood planters no less than 24" tall. We gopher proof the bottom and add a custom seat cap as an option. I also offer 30" and 36" height for taller gardeners. Line the inside walls with roofing felt and you get a planter that will last thirty years. My clients are wealthy and don’t think twice about my prices. Line the bottom with 2" of poured fence post concrete just to piss off the gophers even more because they will NEVER get in. Then just clean up the yard and dump in enough stuff to fill the box 2/3 of the way before adding local native soil and a topper of fortified planter mix. Low voltage lighting and drip watering systems are an option always.

I like your enthusiasm yet a ring of decorative lava rock can contain a shallow raised bed that is less than 12" tall.

29. Lora Dockery on June 12, 2022 at 9:40 pm

DALE🤣🤣❤❤

30. Sonlightkitten on June 12, 2022 at 9:40 pm

For gardeners with not as much space, plastic tubs are the way to go. The thing is you have to go thrifting to find them at a good price. A place near me sells them for $2

31. darthvader5300 on June 12, 2022 at 9:44 pm

1st I must tell everyone that there are 2 sub-species of black locust. The 1st Black Locust sub-specie is called Black Locust and it is a small tree, practically most a gnarled shrub, it’s wood is BROWN COLORED, and it rots immediately after being cut down. The 2sd Black Locust sub-specie is called Yellow Locust and it is a LARGE AND TALL AND STRAIGHT TREE LIKE A SHIP’S MAST AND IT’S WOOD IS YELLOW COLORED. Because it is a very large and tall and straight tree which is as straight like a ship’s mast it is often and it’s yellow colored wood DOES NOT ROT AND IS NOT BOTHERED BY INSECTS LIKE TERMITES, it is often sought for to replace or build brand new ship masts. It is largely propagated by rooted cuttings. And Appalachians calls it as the WOOD THAT LASTS LIKE A STONE.

32. Nonnie on June 12, 2022 at 9:44 pm

Good tips

33. Super terrific on June 12, 2022 at 9:46 pm

Did you seriously not even show any beds made with that?

34. cindy kelly on June 12, 2022 at 9:46 pm

love the dog! Good boy

35. Lekter Labs on June 12, 2022 at 9:47 pm

$6.18 ea in Central New Jersey as of 5/12/22

36. Mark Hutton on June 12, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Probably too late now… get the bottle of ear drops provide treats when the bottle comes out… then someone else treats as you apply the drops and massage it in the ear canal. If you are worried about over feeding, then back off the food they get.
    I had to treat my, tragically departed, Black and Tan Doberman for an ear infection and then we would clean his ears regularly and the Brown(Red (US) and Tan we still have.
    Having gone through the treat stage the were both happy for us to apply treatments and clean the ears without treats… as long as the experience is positive and calm then they are happy.
    Apollo if he sees a cotton pad will sit and put his head one side.
    Zeus used to make a purring sound when we cleaned his ears…
    All about building up the experience and making it fun! 😀

37. BossSpringsteen69 on June 12, 2022 at 9:49 pm

I transported long items in my first stick shift Mustang years ago. Slightly challenging but, doable.

38. Cafu B on June 12, 2022 at 9:49 pm

Thanks for sharing

39. .30-.06 Outlaw Country on June 12, 2022 at 9:50 pm

You can also contact your local lumberyard, versus Home Depot, they’ll have a larger pile of discounted wood products and their prices will generally be cheaper than Home Depot because there’s no middleman and they have no markup. Being in the area of Arkansas that I am in, we have several local lumberyards that will sell large pieces of wood to you for cheaper than you can get it at Home Depot. And many times Home Depot‘s discount pile has nothing in it or what is in it is completely worthless and unusable. For example, I went to Home Depot‘s little discount cart a couple of weeks ago and they had a piece of fake shiplap wall board that I was going to purchase for the playhouse that I’m building for my grandson. Unfortunately it had been broken several times and had a hole cut out of it and then Home Depot spray painted giant purple Xs all over it and put it on the cart and still wanted $25 for the busted pieces! Very disappointing 😕

40. coda creator on June 12, 2022 at 9:51 pm

I take advantage of the free cutting they’ll do when longer boards are the only option. Not sure exactly how much HD spends cutting lumber for people, but I know for a fact that the cost is built into every board, anyway. Let ‘em earn it (and keep some of your local folks employed). 😀

41. Jojo jordan on June 12, 2022 at 9:54 pm

You guys do realize that using treated wood for gardening will poison you ?! Those chemicals leaking in the soil where your plants grow will negate your "natural" home grown foods. They’ll be worse than Monsanto foods.

42. Melissa Jamison on June 12, 2022 at 9:56 pm

Can u stack 3 boards to make it even taller????

43. Steve Grumpka on June 12, 2022 at 9:56 pm

Mah… just hold tight. Prices will come down soon.

44. billandpech on June 12, 2022 at 9:58 pm

Thanks. That’s helpful, but you waste your viewer’s time with lots of other nonsense and repetition. This could have been an excellent 90 second video rather than a good 10 minute one for people who skip through it.

45. .30-.06 Outlaw Country on June 12, 2022 at 9:59 pm

We bought four pallets of the cedar dogeared fence slats at Home Depot and Cut the dog eared tips off and used them as a type of shiplap on the walls inside our cabin and had plenty left over to do an overlap siding on the outside of our cabin with them, still having enough left over to make raised garden beds and a little fence around the garden. That was six years ago and we got them for right around a dollar apiece so it was about $300 a pallet. But they don’t have any rot on them at all whatsoever and last week when I was at home Depot they were still only $1.67 each, with a discount if you get a whole pallet. Very affordable. By the way my cabin is 25 feet wide by 40 feet long and two stories, it has three bedrooms and two bathrooms. So it’s a sizable house, and we were able to do the inside and the outside and still have enough left over for the garden and a small fence around the garden, for just under $1000.

46. Josh Mcdaniel on June 12, 2022 at 10:00 pm

You say something is safe when indeed it still isn’t safe still leaching chemicals into your soil. You have been fooled my friend.

47. Super terrific on June 12, 2022 at 10:00 pm

Looks like 4inches not 4.5.

48. Dave Christopher on June 12, 2022 at 10:01 pm

Stopped watching as soon as you said "pressure treated lumber". Enjoy all the chemicals and carcinogens you’re going to eat.

49. Joey Prather on June 12, 2022 at 10:04 pm

Cedar fence pickets are the best deal in the store.

50. Spirit.Canada on June 12, 2022 at 10:08 pm