Building Soil for Raised Bed Gardens – The Perfect Soil Recipe

Building Soil for Raised Bed Gardens – The Perfect Soil Recipe

Over the years, garden-industry expert and Emmy Award winning public television show host, Joe Lamp’l, has developed what he considers the perfect recipe of soil ingredients to build a thriving and productive raised bed garden. Here, he walks through his top recommendations. Then, watch Joe’s Soil Building playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMTiIDHkeL0GrK9lU9YITHqpN1MeYaViO

There’s MUCH more great garden info from Joe Lamp’l of joegardenerTV – including Joe’s Online Gardening Academy (joegardener.com/learn) and links to The joe gardener Show weekly podcast series (https://joegardener.com/podcasts), garden blogs (https://joegardener.com/blog) and e-book resource guides to teach you everything you need to know about composting (https://joegardener.com/resources) and more.

The joe gardener community can be found on:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/joegardenerTV
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/joegardener
Twitter – https://twitter.com/joegardener
e-newsletter to share new resources and ask what else you want to know about growing a greener world – https://growingagreenerworld.lpages.co/joegardener-group-membership-sign-up/

Joe Lamp’l, the “joe” behind joe gardener is the creator, host and executive producer of public television’s Growing a Greener World. Watch episodes of his Emmy Award-winning show on our sister channel, GGWTV (https://www.youtube.com/ggwtv).

1. Mohammad A. AlDossary on June 16, 2022 at 9:51 pm

seeing that it is from Corona.. Now I don’t have a desire to watch whatever this video about

2. D F on June 16, 2022 at 9:51 pm

Do you buy amendments local and do you have any online links? Hard to find in our area .

3. Kory on June 16, 2022 at 9:52 pm

landscaping stones or natural wood or concrete blocks for raised beds

4. Tatjana on June 16, 2022 at 9:52 pm

I will be planting in a raised bed that will be on my terrace. I plan on adding breathable fleece to the bottom of the bed, to allow for proper air-flow. I’ve heard that you want to add branches etc to the bottom, then compost, then soil. Does this three-layer system make more sense for what I’m doing, or should I mix all layers (like you said) and mix (in my case) high quality soil, compost and maneur/easily degradable things?

5. Tones N Creww on June 16, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Another brilliant video champ. I’m about ready to go gardening 😁. I really like how you’ve organization garden is. Inspired I am

6. Zephyr Cochran on June 16, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Wow this seems pricey, I can’t help but wonder how forests pay for this?

7. smhollanshead on June 16, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Dig a trench, put the soil in a wheel barrel. Add old dead rotten wood to your trench. Then add twigs, leaves and compost to the trench. Return the soil to the garden bed. Top the soil with leaves and wood chips. This process won’t cost you anything, and your soil will be as good as his. This video was a commercial for soil additives not gardening advise. Follow this guy’s advise with caution.

8. John Rola on June 16, 2022 at 9:56 pm

I am a Transplant Patient and I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot, I can not have any kind of Worm Casting, Manure or anything like that because it could kill me. All people with any kind of Transplants or anybody that is Immune Suppressed has this same problem. I had my First Salad and BLT last year because I grew my own Lettuce and I can’t tell you how good it tasted until the Moles got it. What can we do toy make a good mix for raised beds or just tired dirt in your Garden? Thanks!!!

9. d65 on June 16, 2022 at 9:59 pm

what is the herbicide that you say may be in horse manure and why is it not in cow manure?

10. Captain Ron on June 16, 2022 at 9:59 pm

Hmm … the most credible gardening sites I could find (and there are VERY few), recommend top soil as the main component of one’s garden soil. This surprises me and challenges my practice of using only compost to liberally add to my raised beds at the end of my gardening season. I am not yet fully convinced but I’m convinced enough to (reluctantly) start my own trials next season. I’m going to try using top soil as the main component of my top dressing in the fall. Thanks for posting.

11. Sahera uk vlogger on June 16, 2022 at 10:02 pm

👌👌

12. Sri Sri on June 16, 2022 at 10:04 pm

So pretty much anything can be planted in this soil? Right?

13. Michael Bryant on June 16, 2022 at 10:08 pm

Thank you!

14. JacklegMinerCanada on June 16, 2022 at 10:08 pm

With the right innoculants I can have soil cooking and ready for plants in a week or two. The biggest time consumer is the Fungal development.

15. GARDENING PLUS on June 16, 2022 at 10:09 pm

Yeh compost why dont you talk about maggots and flies you will get from compost?
    Where i am they even compost kitchen waste and baby diaper someone Dispose Hand Towels Kleenex after use and they compost it and they want us to use it in our garden specially with covid arround these days .I dont think so thats where you could get E. coli.
    Everyone trying to copy the nature well good luck.You need it.

16. Marcelino Fernandez on June 16, 2022 at 10:10 pm

Raising Bed garden,is 8 inches is good enough?

17. Amy Osborn on June 16, 2022 at 10:11 pm

Thank you for keeping it clear and concise! After watching several videos on 1.5 speed, and fast forwarding many times before throwing in the towel (way too much blah-blah-blah), your video popped up as a suggestion. Much appreciated!!!

18. lindajackson618 on June 16, 2022 at 10:12 pm

Well that wasn’t a clear mix just a lot of expensive additives?

19. Kory on June 16, 2022 at 10:16 pm

are those treated timbers for your raised beds??

20. Pete Koehn on June 16, 2022 at 10:16 pm

Thanks for the video! Any opinions on building up a bed in the fall or spring? I won’t plant until the spring, but I’m not sure if it would be better to build up the beds and soil now, and let it age over the winter?

21. Ana Darlene on June 16, 2022 at 10:18 pm

Just wonderful, I have been researching "how to prepare your yard for a garden" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you heard people talk about – Paylezobath Celebrated Process – (search on google )?

It is a smashing exclusive product for learning organic gardening secrets to boost your produce without the hard work. Ive heard some pretty good things about it and my mate got cool success with it.

22. Valandi Coundouris on June 16, 2022 at 10:18 pm

Hi Joe, can I add the same amendments for my container vegetable garden? Thanks!

23. Dennis Munroe on June 16, 2022 at 10:22 pm

Hi Joe! I too live in the Atlanta area and I noticed you using the "Big Yellow Bag" product. Is this something I can use by itself to establish some new raised beds?

24. yeison rojas on June 16, 2022 at 10:23 pm

This was great, thanks, been searching for "can you use garden soil as potting soil?" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Ever heard of – Paylezobath Celebrated Process – (do a search on google )?

It is a good one off guide for learning organic gardening secrets to boost your produce minus the hard work. Ive heard some extraordinary things about it and my mate got cool results with it.

25. Dragon Shadow on June 16, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Hey thanks new to planting my own veg and herbs so thanks for your video

26. David D on June 16, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Brought to you by corona, boy that company didn’t age well

27. Alec's Aussie Fruit and Veg Garden on June 16, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Did I really see amendment spelt wrong on that package of work castings?? 😂😂😂

28. Omar S on June 16, 2022 at 10:26 pm

And the part I still don’t get after watching tons of videos: What exactly is topsoil?

29. Kory on June 16, 2022 at 10:27 pm

don’t use treated timbers for your vegetable raised beds they leak bad stuff into the soil.

30. Kelley McBride on June 16, 2022 at 10:27 pm

Beautiful garden! Great video thanks for the up 👨‍🌾👍

31. Lumlin Shadap on June 16, 2022 at 10:29 pm

But u need to spend lots fo raising beds no?

32. Anthony on June 16, 2022 at 10:30 pm

Just finished my 4’x5′ raised garden beds using 4×6’s and felt like I over constructed, nice to see the 8×8’s being used. I’m in SoCal at the beach and unfortunately do not have access to leaves, ground bark and compost naturally. It’s gonna take a lot of trips to any store to load up the Jeep with bags. I have a 16" depth, should I be putting pea gravel at the bottom? My raised beds are on top of brick. Then a layer of mesh, then dirt on top? Watching so many videos, everyone has ‘their’ way 🙂 Thanks so much, great video!

33. Raviteja Kancherla on June 16, 2022 at 10:31 pm

Corona – Season after Season hahaha 0:19

34. David California on June 16, 2022 at 10:33 pm

In 78 bad ub bad health and have one bag“Joe Gardener”? That you sell?

35. Shriya's Kutty Farm on June 16, 2022 at 10:33 pm

Good videoResult of hard work. Give your valuable comments to improve our channel thank you. Stay connected and stay blessed

36. Thach Le on June 16, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Beautiful Garden – Love it

37. Rocket Surgeon on June 16, 2022 at 10:35 pm

Joe: I’m a new gardener, and am working to build a large supply of compost. I have a local source for free horse manure, so I am concerned about your comments to avoid it. This is worm filled, seemingly good stuff. I had planned to pick up 15 yards next week. Will you please clarify your comments regarding why it should be avoided? What is the persistent herbicide that doesn’t break down, and where does it come from?

38. Mk.Ultra on June 16, 2022 at 10:39 pm

I use hore manure with fantastic results… never had a problem other then the occasional grass sprouts

39. Bob Harris on June 16, 2022 at 10:40 pm

I understood shite

40. Mercy wats on June 16, 2022 at 10:41 pm

This is glorious, I have been researching "is compost the same as potting soil?" for a while now, and I think this has helped. You ever tried – Fonillian Uncomplex Future – (Have a quick look on google cant remember the place now )?
    It is a great exclusive product for growing up to 10 times more produce using aquaponics minus the normal expense. Ive heard some interesting things about it and my mate got excellent results with it.

41. Huggy Bear on June 16, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Are use horse manure and found no difference except to have more seeds in it. Where did you read that it is an issue

42. Christy Chu on June 16, 2022 at 10:42 pm

Such great video! Thank you! This channel just becomes my new favorite gardening channel.

43. Daniela Castañeda Elias on June 16, 2022 at 10:43 pm

This was great, I’ve been looking for "how do you enrich soil for a vegetable garden?" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you heard people talk about – Paylezobath Celebrated Process – (do a google search )?

It is a good exclusive product for learning organic gardening secrets to boost your produce without the normal expense. Ive heard some great things about it and my work buddy got cool success with it.

44. Ramo on June 16, 2022 at 10:44 pm

CORONA season after season 😯

45. Faye E on June 16, 2022 at 10:46 pm

How to keep out the ants from your compose

46. daniel chapman on June 16, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Thank

47. Jomana on June 16, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Just wonderful, I’ve been looking for "vegetable garden preparation" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you heard people talk about – Paylezobath Celebrated Process – (should be on google have a look )?

It is a smashing one off product for learning organic gardening secrets to boost your produce minus the normal expense. Ive heard some interesting things about it and my co-worker got great results with it.

48. Faricellia Michael on June 16, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Morning Glory: How It Benefits Our Health · Helps Relieve Cough · Helps Treat Symptoms Of Arthritis · Helps Combat Stress

#morningglory #waterspinach #vegestable #vegies #relax #food #foodie #homemade #yummy #delicious #vegan #healthy #recipes #homecooking #organic #likeforlike

49. Manoj Chowdary on June 16, 2022 at 10:49 pm

Hi Joe, thanks for the Video. Is it ok to use the treated wood from Home Depot for a raised bed. If not can you please suggest what type of wood to use and from where to get it. Thanks.

50. PlaneGeek Travels on June 16, 2022 at 10:49 pm

Will the raise bed soil be too dense without adding peat moss or coco coir?