How To Build a Raised Garden Bed Using Fence Pickets | Really Easy and Cost Effective!

In this video I show you how we build our raised garden beds using cedar fence pickets. It is really quick, easy, and cost effective! Feel free to ask any questions you might have in the comments!

😎 Subscribe Here: https://bit.ly/3iBewyg

Other interesting videos:
How to make a mosquito trap: https://youtu.be/W3LrFwGWu20

How to build a smokeless fire pit: https://youtu.be/DToPhKv2vYM

How to fix new gas cans to flow better: https://youtu.be/llSQqDtnq7M

Thank you for watching and for subscribing. I hope that you find the content of this channel to be helpful and inspiring. Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions in the comments section and I will try to help if I can!
Blessings,
Adam

How To Home assumes no liability for damage or injury. How To Home highly recommends using proper safety procedures and professionals when needed. Our content is for entertainment purposes only. No information contained in this video shall create any express or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or the information contained in this video is the sole responsibility of the user and not How To Home. How To Home will not be held liable for any negligent or accidental damage or injury resulting from equipment, tools, electrical, fire, electronics or any items contained in this video. Attempt projects and repairs at your own risk.

1. Gale Cooney on June 17, 2022 at 10:04 pm

Love your videos…and NOW I know what to do with all the dead branches I have from cutting trees down on property. Thanks

2. P.T. Daukas on June 17, 2022 at 10:06 pm

Thank you so much for your video…. will try it out…. lumber has gone crazy with prices !! 🙂🙃🙂

3. Davis on June 17, 2022 at 10:06 pm

Hey great video. Do you not dig out the grass before? What about a barrier on the bottom, is that needed? Thanks!

4. Maria Bricette on June 17, 2022 at 10:06 pm

I loved what you did that you put the sides together first and then did the long side. Mine is raised bed but it’s very high off the ground because I cannot bend over. But I think when I put the next bed together I will use your format I like it it looks very good and I think it’ll work very well with me I hadn’t yet put a support inside I didn’t think I needed one but listening to your reasoning I might put one in thank you

5. Ty Stallard on June 17, 2022 at 10:07 pm

Well done, my wife and I are going to try this out. This is more economical then other alternatives.
    Thank you, when we are finished, we can send you a pic.

6. Jim Challender on June 17, 2022 at 10:09 pm

40 to 50 including soil?

7. Deidre Richardson on June 17, 2022 at 10:10 pm

love it

8. Franciso 37388 on June 17, 2022 at 10:12 pm

I like your magnetic wrist catcher with your screws. Neat idea.

9. Mark Crowe on June 17, 2022 at 10:16 pm

Like your video & ideas, just wondering how long your lumber will last being so thin?

10. Glen Chatelain on June 17, 2022 at 10:17 pm

Nicely presented. I’m not real handy but you made this look easy and I think I’ll give it a try. Thanks

11. mickey mouses's rabbit on June 17, 2022 at 10:17 pm

Thank you I feel confident I can build it too

12. Stacey Markum on June 17, 2022 at 10:17 pm

That layering is actually a system called hugleculture or mound farming!

13. Jim Jr44 on June 17, 2022 at 10:18 pm

Well done and a great idea. Thanks so much. Jim

14. Mike B on June 17, 2022 at 10:20 pm

Great idea placing branches, twigs leaves at bottom. Will compost over time and fills in the garden. Saves $$.

15. Daniel Boles on June 17, 2022 at 10:20 pm

I used plastic deck boards for my last 2 beds, but I like your way much better. The cedar is a better way to go. Thanks, great and to the point. I’m subscribed.

16. Car Bar on June 17, 2022 at 10:21 pm

Thank you for the economical version. Great idea! How much you pay total for soil?

17. Ben Lyons on June 17, 2022 at 10:21 pm

Fantastic content. I’ve been wanting to do a raised bed. The cedar was a nice choice.

18. Sandra Hankins on June 17, 2022 at 10:23 pm

I’m gonna have to try this thankyou.

19. Benny Freeman on June 17, 2022 at 10:23 pm

Great ideas! I’m definitely going to use those ideas for our garden. We’ll be building our first one soon, I’m getting excited for it. Your suggestions will definitely help save some money 💰.
    I’ll probably need to add some fencing or chicken wire to keep out the deer and rabbits around here though.
    Awesome job! Thanks again.

20. MrVegas on June 17, 2022 at 10:25 pm

That was very helpful dude. I think I’ll give this a go. Thanks.

21. Chris Halenda on June 17, 2022 at 10:27 pm

I really liked your design but I would have dug up the grass underneath the box, and put down some plastic or flattened cardboard boxes. That grass is eventually going to grow up to the surface and will be impossible to weed out.

22. Andy Bracken on June 17, 2022 at 10:27 pm

I’ve been building my raised beds for customers using this method for the past few years! Great to see somebody else doing it as well!

23. jimmy gray on June 17, 2022 at 10:28 pm

My beds are 30 feet long and 4 feet wide. That’s way too expensive for me

24. Kevin A on June 17, 2022 at 10:28 pm

Such a great idea. I was at the big box store the other day asking for the landscape timber. On the way there I noticed cedar fence panels on the way and stopped to think about this. The worker suggested I buy a raised bed kit from the front of the garden center. I laughed.

25. GB on June 17, 2022 at 10:29 pm

What size screw did you use? I have been trying to build my raised beds for over a week with no luck. I just want to cry 😩 this is my first time using a drill I found videos to help me but now I’m assuming I must have the wrong size screw. I’m using the Cedar fence boards. The screw stops spinning and won’t go in. The drill just keeps making a sound like its jammed. I gave 6 in screws they are black. I think I need 4 inch. 🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️😩

26. nysigal on June 17, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Are these food-safe?

27. Justin Apple on June 17, 2022 at 10:39 pm

curious how long the cedar pickets will last

28. Jorjizm on June 17, 2022 at 10:39 pm

I remember when the price of a cedar picket used to be $1.50 each about 10 years ago before the price shot up during the lockdowns due to the massive increase in home renovation projects.

29. C Cole on June 17, 2022 at 10:40 pm

Try using a soil mix of ⅓ compost ⅓ vermiculite and ⅓ peat moss.
    Your baby plants will really take off!

30. Phillip Morey on June 17, 2022 at 10:43 pm

Was wanting to make one for the wife. Thank you for the video enjoy watching them

31. Cookefan59 on June 17, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Nice job! Im looking to do one of these and then a raised bed at about 3-4 feet high so that I can move it as the sun moves and also a few “storage container” pots on wheels. Thanks for all the effort you put into your videos. Im just too lazy to do all the editing and retakes lm sure you go through.

32. Rob Stark on June 17, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Nice work! I’m going to make a couple but raise them up to waist height and make my son a sandbox this way and make a nice hinged top for it to keep the neighborhood cats out. I’ll do that in the spring and if I document it, I’ll reach out to you.

33. Jason Klein on June 17, 2022 at 10:49 pm

I really appreciate your videos. Look forward to learning more 👍

34. Isaac Hurtado-Contreras on June 17, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Hey man how many bags of top soil did you use?

35. mekamoo1719 on June 17, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Sir you ARE NOT LYING THE TASTE IS SO DIFFERENT

36. Miguel Yanez on June 17, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Hey i just remembered that we have some old 4×4 boards outside. Cedar fence pickets are cheap, i can make these!

37. Steve Allen on June 17, 2022 at 10:55 pm

I have been using pressure treated fence boards to build tables and benches. Am thinking of using PT Fence boards for my raised beds. Also want to paint the raised beds with Thomsons Water Seal or fence paint. Thomsons Water Seal on the outside and fence paint on the inside areas. 6′ PT Fence Boards cost $3.48 each, so for a 6′ x 3′ box 2 boards high, about 11 inches high will cost about $21 before taxes, 2×4 support boards will be what I have on hand. I will use quality container soil to fill the box, I will reuse soil from previous container grow cycles.

38. Dennis Kimmel on June 17, 2022 at 10:55 pm

I’ve been using raisednd beds for 3 years, and now I need to tear out old wood and rebuild. I like here ides of using pickets.

39. James Pennington on June 17, 2022 at 10:55 pm

I did the same thing with an old redwood fence. First I planned the boards down with a 10 inch table saw then Dodo cut the boards. I sealed them with silicone and put linseed inside and a good stain outside. I built it 3.5 ft high to allow for 3 layers of compost mulch and dirt.

40. Rick Crespo on June 17, 2022 at 10:56 pm

Till Valhalla…brother…i like your channel.

41. Marina on June 17, 2022 at 10:57 pm

Thank you for such a straight forward and easy tutorial!! I am heading to the store now to buy the materials and make my beds. Much appreciated.

42. Manushak & Tanya on June 17, 2022 at 11:01 pm

Love this idea!!!

43. Pappy on June 17, 2022 at 11:02 pm

yeah that wood ain’t so cheap now .

44. Buddy Bear TV |Preschool Songs Educational Videos on June 17, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Truth spoken here! My home grown tomatoes are waaaay better tasting than any store bought !