How to Plant Fruit Trees: The Complete Guide

How to Plant Fruit Trees: The Complete Guide

Grow bags for fruit trees: https://bit.ly/3FiMW27 Join Kevin and Chris as they plant fruit trees in ground, in containers, in warm and cold climates. No matter what climate you’re in or what your living situation, this guide will help you learn how to plant fruit trees successfully.

00:00 – Intro
13:19 – Drainage
14:18 – Inspect Roots
15:05 – Prep Planting Hole
16:20 – Water, Mulch & Fertilizer
17:02 – Organic Tree Paint

IN THIS VIDEO

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Other links may be affiliate links as well, in which Epic Gardening earns a small commission for referring a sale.

→ IV Organic 3-in-1 Plant Guard: https://amzn.to/37iM7JU
→ Root Pouch Grow Bags: https://shop.epicgardening.com/collections/container-gardening

SUPPORT EPIC GARDENING

→ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/epicgardening
→ FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epicgardening/
→ TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@epicgardening
→ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/epicgardening
→ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/epicgardening

DISCLAIMER

Epic Gardening occasionally links to goods or services offered by vendors to help you find the best products to care for plants. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. More info on our process: https://www.epicgardening.com/disclaimer/

1. Jack on June 23, 2022 at 10:04 pm

Love the video as always 🙃

2. Harrison Lin on June 23, 2022 at 10:06 pm

Hi~We have some free bird feeders(US) and would like to find people who are interested in them to test them, if you are interested you can contact me, thanks!

3. Christina Hutchison on June 23, 2022 at 10:07 pm

Great video so much great information. Thank you 🙏.

4. Ivan Uribe on June 23, 2022 at 10:08 pm

Is it ideal to apply fertilizer on the bare root fruit trees (planted in containers) on the first year? or would applying compost on the top layer work for now until the next year or so?

5. Nicolas Bertin on June 23, 2022 at 10:10 pm

Given how you overfertilize your garden containers I was expecting the same here, but I’m glad to see you plant them "normally". The absolute wrong thing to do is to put a ton of fertilizer and compost at the bottom of the hole (which sadly is what they show on "Garden Answer" because they sell that damn fertilizer…). Not only trees don’t need it, but with rain, the fertility goes down in the soil, away from the roots, being wasted. Regarding your citrus trees as hedges, you should be careful. Trees that are too close together suffer, it’s partly why the citrus industry in Florida has collapsed. They used too much fertilizer and pesticides, so pests attacked, their yield dropped. Instead of stopping that, they increased planting density, which made things even worse (then new pests, new pesticides, etc…). You can check out Thomas Dykstra’s webinar, called "A 100-year review of Florida citrus production—what is causing this steep decline?" about that, it’s eye-opening. Also, if you want more fruit production, and want to avoid fertilizing, you can use perennials all around your trees. Tree health and plant health in general is fueled by biodiversity in the soil, mostly bacteria and fungi. And for that diversity, you need a diversity of plants. Orchards with cover crops and perennials have higher yields and no pests compared to conventional orchards with naked soil, herbicides and pesticides. Mulch is a nice compromise, but you might still get pests due to the lack of diversity and planting density. To be sure, just use a refractomer and measure your leaf Brix. If it’s above 12, you’re good. Below 12, pests will attack.

6. Tom Smeeton on June 23, 2022 at 10:11 pm

Can you pot on when flowered/fruiting?

7. Deb Kincaid on June 23, 2022 at 10:13 pm

I didn’t even know there was a Zone 8b in Canada! Where is that?

8. Eagledice on June 23, 2022 at 10:14 pm

Dude you’ve made the big time I just saw you on Magnolia Network I literally jumped out of my seat

9. Tanya Rosier on June 23, 2022 at 10:15 pm

I have a dwarf Gordon apple tree, does it need a buddy to pollinate it? Also do I need to have chill hours? I’m in zone 9b Tucson, Az

10. Jaeglarion on June 23, 2022 at 10:16 pm

Just wanted to say… I love 💕 this channel. You guys and gals are great.

11. Planter GardenTV on June 23, 2022 at 10:16 pm

I love planting fruit trees

12. Benilda Gayagoy on June 23, 2022 at 10:18 pm

I’m thankful for lesson on tree planting 101. Sorry, I won’t be asking about trees today. I have several tomatoes that are blooming with flowers but they don’t form any fruit. I need your help, what should I do? Thank you.

13. Lance Uppercut on June 23, 2022 at 10:22 pm

Well What ever you soil is it works and digs out really nicely. so I assume it’s a little porous which is good water goes deep and the soils sucks up the minerals then the roots suck them out .

14. Willitine on June 23, 2022 at 10:22 pm

Great guide this really helps. Thanks Kevin!

15. Lena M on June 23, 2022 at 10:24 pm

What a lovely video, I really enjoyed it! 👍

16. Vợ Việt travel on June 23, 2022 at 10:25 pm

How to Plant Fruit Trees: The Complete Guide, very nice.

17. Haris Mamba on June 23, 2022 at 10:26 pm

hi im from greece and i have a problem with my lemon trees and oranges they have" Capnodium oleae" any ideas to remove it and help the trees? thank y

18. Allyson King on June 23, 2022 at 10:31 pm

I love Chris and her tips, but I have to laugh every time they call 8b a "cold" climate.

19. DoctorCrew on June 23, 2022 at 10:32 pm

I have a random fruit tree in my backyard… idk what it is

20. Epic Gardening on June 23, 2022 at 10:32 pm

We’ve got grow bags on the store now, great for container fruit trees: https://bit.ly/3FiMW27

21. Missthang on June 23, 2022 at 10:32 pm

Really helpful information, as always. Thank you Kevin and Chris.

22. Andrew Anderson on June 23, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Shouldn’t the hole be square, so to stop root-bound

23. Rhode Alexandre on June 23, 2022 at 10:35 pm

You need to get yourself a small auger to help dig some holes

24. Ryan on June 23, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Perfect timing, just got two peach trees

25. Silvermoon Garden on June 23, 2022 at 10:37 pm

thanks for the tips 🙏🏻 i live in warm climate, thinking to grow fruit trees in big pots

26. Fairweather Farm on June 23, 2022 at 10:38 pm

We have some trees on the farm that had a hard winter, trouble finding green under the bark which I know is dead wood..guess the best thing is to cut them down to the ground and hope they regrow. 🌿

27. Lady Liz on June 23, 2022 at 10:39 pm

Kevin ,where you live here in SD if u don’t mind😉

28. hana Stolhand on June 23, 2022 at 10:40 pm

Off topic of the video: Have you thought about/tried to do anything with/about Ron Finley?? I think he would be a great inspiration for people to start gardening.

29. Benji Charlie on June 23, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Lol love how zone 8b is considered a “cold climate” for you southerners

30. Pfsif on June 23, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Are there fruit trees that don’t like to be downwind from other trees, like pine?

31. beachwench on June 23, 2022 at 10:41 pm

A few of my trees are leaning after several wind storms. Could you do a video on staking trees prperly

32. Julse Abate on June 23, 2022 at 10:43 pm

thanks Kevin SUPER helpful to have the other climate represented! Love from Sonoma

33. Amethyst19 on June 23, 2022 at 10:43 pm

Growing white freestone peach trees from seed… had them in the fridge for months, planted in pots a month or so ago… how big should I let them get before planting in ground? I live in AZ and have no idea the species of peach these are… I literally bought them, ate them, fridged them and planted them… also, I have a few sharing pots since I was low on big pots when I planted them… how soon should I separate them from each other, so they don’t get too tangled?

34. michael gusovsky on June 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Great video!
    But, what did chris mean when she said you don’t need to worry about needing cross-pollination if you get one of the combo trees (multiple fruit branches grafted onto 1 stock)? Will the branches pollinate each other, like, the peach branch will pollinate the plum branch?

35. Lena M on June 23, 2022 at 10:46 pm

Lovely video 👍

36. B on June 23, 2022 at 10:47 pm

“Plant hardiness” is bullshit. It gets to -45c where I am in the winters, (this past winter 6 days it was below 42c) and up to 44c in the summer, (last summer we had 2 weeks of 40c+), there is absolute nothing too warm or too cold for any plant within reason, just prep a bit for winter and keep them healthy through the year and you can grow things -20c lower than they should absolute no problem, I barely insults my stuff, maybe a handful of straw and a flick of burlap for the things that bunnies will eat, and everything else that’s bigger will do fine. Strawberries do fine with just straw, plums peaches need nothing (burlap for ice storms if you’re worried) do remember plants are plants they adapt to conditions for the most part, and there isn’t much of a difference in actual high/lows from the Canadian border to the Mexican border, I mean within reason; you wouldn’t be able to grow something like a pineapple unless you planted it in a raised bed against a southern facing wall and straw the whole thing heavily, or move it inside for the winter, but truthfully you can grow almost anything anywhere.

37. Kindra Beman on June 23, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Love your channel – thank you so much for all the tips!! This video inspired me to purchase two new trees (apple and Asian pear) 🙂

38. Liana Adele on June 23, 2022 at 10:48 pm

can you do a white strawberry or pineberry video ?

39. Ghastly Sunflower on June 23, 2022 at 10:49 pm

I’ve got some questions.
    1st. I’m growing some (Pepper Sweet) bell peppers any tips?

2nd. If you have flowers why do some die and some survive? like a few weeks ago they were fine but some some are dead??

3ird. What are some homeade firtilizers that you can make at an apartment? Or will i have to just buy some at the local plant store?

40. Annalisa Smith on June 23, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Perfect timing for me! I just got 3 blueberries, finger lime, 2 peach, 2 bananas and a kiwi vine to plant this weekend! Epic Gardening has been so inspiring and educational, my garden has grown and produced exponentially this last year! Thanks 😊

41. arthur padget on June 23, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Chris is fantastic, but 8b isn’t a great representation of cold climates.

4b here. Citrus is a fever dream.

Thanks for the content!

42. William Reeder on June 23, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Great video thanks for sharing….. I am in Tallahassee in the Florida panhandle and have two Meyer lemon trees …. Every December I give away about five laundry baskets full of lemons.

43. The Busy Gardener on June 23, 2022 at 10:56 pm

Bro, you nailed it! Well done!

44. Jackie K on June 23, 2022 at 10:56 pm

Absolutely loved these tips! Just finished planting two fig trees and am ready to plant more! 😍🙌🏻

45. Ida Woodhouse on June 23, 2022 at 10:58 pm

I’m really warming up to Chris, she’s got super chill energy

46. umiluv on June 23, 2022 at 10:59 pm

Wow…. You’re in 8b in Canada! I’m in 7a here in Tennessee lol.

47. Provolone on June 23, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Wassup Kevin! I have a couple raised beds and wanted to get some flowers around the area but the soil is very bad. What’s a good way to revive sandy soil or other types to start planting?

48. Peggy Shook on June 23, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Interesting

49. IV Organic on June 23, 2022 at 11:01 pm

Fantastic Fruit Tree Planting Lesson! Thank you SO MUCH for the shout out!!
    Happy Gardening Kevin & Epic Team,
    Charles 🌱👍

50. Jax Cortez on June 23, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Great video. Got anything on just planting pomegranates?