How to DESIGN a RAISED BED GARDEN: 10 SIMPLE STEPS

How to DESIGN a RAISED BED GARDEN: 10 SIMPLE STEPS

Raised-bed gardens are a popular option for starting a garden. Correct raised-bed garden design helps maximize the productivity of the available space. A well-designed raised-bed garden also adds beauty to your yard.

Gardening with raised beds has several advantages:
• The soil mix you fill the beds with ensures the best growing conditions for gardening from the beginning, rather than having to deal with existing soil issues such as rocky or compacted soil.
• Drainage issues improve because the growing surface is above the ground level and water drains out easily.
• Raised beds warm-up earlier in the spring, allowing you to get a jump on planting.

Introduction 00:00

Growoya Ollas: https://growoya.com/?ref=aReoN
Use code GROWING to save
Watering Grids: https://shrsl.com/3abpw
Use code ANGELA10 to save $10 off $100

SUPPORT GROWING IN THE GARDEN
Amazon Shop: https://www.amazon.com/shop/growinginthegarden
Buy Harvest Calendar: https://growinginthegarden.bigcartel.com/product/perpetual-planting-and-harvest-calendar-for-the-low-desert-of-arizona
Seeds: Seeds Now https://www.seedsnow.com/?rfsn=275008.6345c
Botanical Interest seeds:
Watering Grids: https://shrsl.com/3abpw
Use code ANGELA10 to save $10 off $100
Growing in the Garden Raised Bed Mix at Arizona Worm Farm: https://arizonawormfarm.com/
Harvest Right Freeze Dryer

LEARN MORE
More places to find and learn from Growing in the Garden
Blog: https://growinginthegarden.com/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/growinginthegarden
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/growing.in.the.garden/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/growinginthegardenaz/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/growinthegarden/_created/

#growinginthegarden #arizonagardening #arizonagardener #howtogrowyourownfood #raisedbeds

1. The Farmer Tv on June 24, 2022 at 10:29 pm

Your garden look beautiful

2. Melissa on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 pm

This is incredibly helpful! Please continue this into a series for those of us preparing our very first raised bed gardens this spring 🤩

3. avaloncar18 on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 pm

Thank you. My first year doing a raised bed.

4. emon ahmed on June 24, 2022 at 10:31 pm

Maam, thanks a lot. I might have a silly question. Can I put plastic bag or tarp at the bottom of the bed as my garden has lot of weed and they are very hard to control for me? TIA

5. Stephanie Taylor on June 24, 2022 at 10:32 pm

6. elines acevedo on June 24, 2022 at 10:32 pm

Hello, I was wondering if you think it’s ok to build raised beds on a cement pad. A lot of homes where I live, people seem to always cover their whole yard in cement(small yards). I am probably going to purchase a home that has this, and I don’t know if to remove the cement, or if it’s ok to just build beds over it. Would there be drainage issues or something that you’d know of?

7. MyRetiredHobbies Gainesville on June 24, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Good information. Planning is the key to success with many endeavors. Great video, thanks for sharing.

8. CA Little Garden-加州小院 on June 24, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Do you have a video about how to set up your grill?

9. The dawn chorus Plot on June 24, 2022 at 10:35 pm

Some great ideas and tips, we very often just rush in and don’t think of the reasons why, many people will find this very helpful, many thanks for sharing, enjoy your weekend, kind regards
    alan………….. THE DAWN CHORUS PLOT 🌿

10. Josefina M on June 24, 2022 at 10:38 pm

I love the details!

11. Sol Cruz on June 24, 2022 at 10:39 pm

Thanks for the valuable information, I am planning transform my existing garden to rase garden beds. Your video is very helpful 🥰🙏🏼

12. Jeanne Chin on June 24, 2022 at 10:40 pm

Thank you. You are such a good teacher!

13. James Orr on June 24, 2022 at 10:42 pm

I’d love to see more about your shade structures. Looks like they’re made from rebar?

14. J. Renee White on June 24, 2022 at 10:42 pm

For those of us plagued with rodents, rabbits, Moles and Voles having a raised bed that is tall enough they can’t access the veg so easily and having wire mesh at the bottom of the bed before filling it helps save years of disappointments. I’ve seen some stack IBC totes on pallets to keep the critters out and make it a nice height to work in. If you can’t bend down very well they now have 24" deep planter boxes with legs and wheels.

15. maria gomez on June 24, 2022 at 10:42 pm

I love your channel Angela I also live in Arizona in the city of Buckeye if you do any class on life or in person I would love to attend it have a blessed day🌹

16. Al Dannen on June 24, 2022 at 10:43 pm

Thank you! I am installing some 4×8×10" beds. Is weed fabric needed for under the beds? I am torn. Thanks!!

17. Josefina M on June 24, 2022 at 10:43 pm

Thanks. Extremadamente helpful! Blessings

18. Sampath Gamage on June 24, 2022 at 10:44 pm

❤️❤️❤️🇱🇰

19. Z K on June 24, 2022 at 10:46 pm

Hi! If you change which vegetables you plant each time then do you also change the placement of the trellises/climbers?

20. Sunshine on June 24, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Thank you for the video. I would think 18 feet between beds should be enough.

21. Rebecca Timmons on June 24, 2022 at 10:52 pm

I like you beds, especially wondering about the metal joints at each corner & what kind of supports on the sides, if any. Where’d you get them and do the have a name? You do wonderful, concise videos are you a school teacher? Please take that as a complement, you know what you’re doing👏

22. Caitlin on June 24, 2022 at 10:54 pm

We just finished our two 12′ cedar beds! Now I have to wait for our ollas, and I have to find a bunch of perlite somewhere… ha!!

23. Victor Blakely on June 24, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Mel’s mix.

24. The Apopka Gardener on June 24, 2022 at 10:55 pm

Great information. Thank you. BTW, you look great with those glasses 😊

25. jjbjjbh on June 24, 2022 at 10:55 pm

Great video Angela. Very helpful. Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE explain how you have constructed the trellis system on top of your raised beds with all the rebars? Need this info very badly. Thanks.

26. Shaida Jetha on June 24, 2022 at 10:56 pm

do you use landscape cloth only on the bottom or up the sides of the bed as well?

27. Let’s Do This With CJ on June 24, 2022 at 10:58 pm

I have always used raised beds. I have super clay soil. Nicely set in the back of my yard so we had to layout drip irrigation all the way back there. She’s getting a makeover this year. Can’t wait to start.

28. Larry Khongwir on June 24, 2022 at 10:59 pm

Thank you Angela for a wonderful presentation on the basics of raised bed gardening. Extremely useful for me who has just started on this journey. Greetings from England.

29. Joy Hamilton on June 24, 2022 at 10:59 pm

Fantastic information!! Thanks for sharing. We are building and planning our vegetable garden now. We’ve already decided not to do raised beds this season until we really see how the sun will be in this area since we’ve removed a few trees.

30. It's Just Gardening on June 24, 2022 at 11:00 pm

These are great tips. Thank you.

31. Emy Lytle on June 24, 2022 at 11:02 pm

That’s what I will do but I’m recycling my old wooden fence and can I paint the outside of the wood? Will the paint get into my plants I’m planting flowers and some herbs on a 8’x3’x12” I don’t have enough room and I’m putting it on the south side of my house on the lawn but will put some cardboards under then put some branches to minimize my soil 😊👍 thank you for the video it’s so informative and I’m learning a lot ♥️♥️♥️

32. window on June 24, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Best raise bed my friend

33. fishycomics on June 24, 2022 at 11:06 pm

So lets ask what potting mix you use in raised bed, merical grow raised bet? or container potting mix, I combine both Lol

34. Supriya Soora on June 24, 2022 at 11:06 pm

I have concrete in my backyard, can i place the raised beds on concrete? or elevated raised beds??

35. peter wulfing on June 24, 2022 at 11:09 pm

thank you. very direct and to the point. ❤️

36. chifylube on June 24, 2022 at 11:09 pm

I noticed you don’t put down week cloth between beds. Probably because this is where your pipes are buried. How do you keep weeds, especially bermuda grass, from taking over the walkways?

37. Vasantha T S on June 24, 2022 at 11:10 pm

Nice… Love from India….

38. billie harris on June 24, 2022 at 11:13 pm

We’re u able to run the main line yourself off the sprinkler system or did you hire someone?
    You have such a flow of words and info. Love love love your instructions

39. Green Love on June 24, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Wonderful tutorial. Thanks for sharing these important steps to designing a raised bed garden.

40. Ma.Salome Flores on June 24, 2022 at 11:15 pm

Hi, im from philippines, im starting a garden, thanks for sharing about planning raised beds

41. R M on June 24, 2022 at 11:15 pm

Can you tell me who made your beds?I really like them. Thank you!

42. Naumi Kaur on June 24, 2022 at 11:17 pm

Thank you so much. Really useful and practical. Do you place weed suppression membranes underneath the raised beds please? I thought that’s best avoided to increase drainage ? Thanks

43. TheSwissGardenVlog on June 24, 2022 at 11:17 pm

Great tips, vertical gardening is really what is missing in my garden. But it‘s something I‘ll work on in the future. Thanks for sharing💚

44. P.Sapien on June 24, 2022 at 11:19 pm

I’m ready to get out there and start prepping for the season. Thank you for sharing your tips

45. The House Mann on June 24, 2022 at 11:22 pm

Would you happen to have a product link for the raised bed corner brackets?

46. luqman turakı on June 24, 2022 at 11:22 pm

Can I put gravel at the bottom of the beds I’m putting the beds on top concrete slab? Any ideas on what to put at the bottom of the beds since is nude concrete ? Thank you

47. michelle renee on June 24, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Great info. Thanks for sharing!
    Wish I’d seen this before I laid out my beds. I’m in Florida where we can garden year round. I didn’t take into account the change in the sun’s position in the sky and my winter crops in the south end of my garden are being shaded by my house (bed is too close to North side of my house). It’s not an issue in the summer. Will have to adjust what I plant in the south end next year. Always learning!

48. Fella on June 24, 2022 at 11:23 pm

I have my imagination garden, i don’t when i could make it become a reality

49. MS MS on June 24, 2022 at 11:24 pm

Great advice!

50. Laura Bartholomew on June 24, 2022 at 11:25 pm

That’s Square Foot Gardening!