From Zero Sales to Sold Out: How I Turned My Cut Flower Business Around

From Zero Sales to Sold Out: How I Turned My Cut Flower Business Around

For the last two weeks I’ve been really struggling with sales in my backyard flower farm–with one week even selling nothing. In this video, I rethink my selling strategy and make changes that lead me to a sold out sale.

Get into the Backyard Business: Cut Flowers Made Simple Flower Farming Course: https://www.shiftingroots.com/backyard-cut-flower-business/

The Backyard Business Playlist; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbBgGYvPihQXe-GqMBQo_6WIEjdE_YIXS

Follow me on Instagram:
Buy my flowers in and around Saskatoon, SK on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shiftingroots_inbloom

Free raised bed cut flower plan: https://www.shiftingroots.com/free-raised-bed-cut-flower-plan
Cut Flowers Made Simple: https://www.shiftingroots.com/product/cut-flowers-made-simple-special-offer/
Constant Colour Garden:

Constant Colour Garden

Bouquets Made Beautiful:

Bouquets Made Beautiful

Savvy Seed Saving:

Savvy Seed Saving

Frostproof Flower Garden:

Frost Proof Flower Garden

Growing Roots Gardening Guide:

Growing Roots Gardening Guide

Pretty & Practical Garden Planner:

Pretty & Practical Garden Planner

Flower Farmer Garden Planner:

Flower Farmer Garden Planner Printable

More flower and garden content on www.shiftingroots.com

1. Katie Ash on July 1, 2022 at 9:55 pm

How do you store them after cutting? How long do they usually last?

2. MK MK on July 1, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Looks like Lady’s Mantle that you’re mom grows

3. Paula Byrd on July 1, 2022 at 9:56 pm

If I lived close, I would so buy your flowers! Love from Texas

4. Kristin Willimack on July 1, 2022 at 9:56 pm

I love your videos. Especially love the realism in this one.

5. Jen Amann on July 1, 2022 at 9:57 pm

You probably should cut all your flower stems as long as possible. Your bouquets are too short.

6. N.V.Z. on July 1, 2022 at 9:58 pm

I’m happy for you, and I like very much your attitude, keep going. Cheers from Ottawa 🌺.

7. Ancy Y on July 1, 2022 at 9:59 pm

Costly

8. Christina Thompson on July 1, 2022 at 10:01 pm

I only grow for my own bouquets but I have a lot more flowers than you. You really don’t seem to have enough flowers to sell. Also if you compare the price you want for your bouquet in comparison to other flower farmers it seems way to high. Alcamila mollus is a classic in flower arranging, the fact you don’t know it’s name suggests you need to study your subject a bit more p. Have you tried selling at a local farmer’s market? You seem a really nice person, so this only meant to help not as a criticism. Good luck.

9. Martine Jaworski on July 1, 2022 at 10:03 pm

Hi Kristen (from a former Saskatooner!), I’m a landscape designer (M A Jaworski Landscape Design in Ottawa) rather than a flower grower/florist so YRMV. I found that volunteering 1 hour of my services online at each of 2 charity auctions was a win-win situation both for the non-profits (raising several hundred dollars for them), and for me. Wishing you the best in your endeavours!

10. Juli Knapp on July 1, 2022 at 10:03 pm

Maybe advertise on something besides social media? , local store?

11. Lisa Feck on July 1, 2022 at 10:04 pm

Now now, don’t hate on the "highlighter yellow". 😊 Lol.
    You are a dedicated hard working lady, well done.
    Please, never apologize for baby noises, this is reality, your life. Good job on the video, I haven’t done any of what you are doing, I hear about the work and time it takes to film and edit, all while taking care of your baby, it takes dedication, so much well done. I admire you. Keep it up.

12. Nad Mel on July 1, 2022 at 10:05 pm

Gorgeous work 😍😍😍 Sending love from Mauritius

13. Katherine White on July 1, 2022 at 10:05 pm

How come you don’t have water in your picking bucket ?

14. Artist in a Garden on July 1, 2022 at 10:05 pm

I love your bouquets, you are very talented and have the eye for beautiful arrangements! I wish I was local, totally would support your sales!! Keep it going, you will be selling out every day in no time!! Thanks for sharing!

15. Martha Neudorf on July 1, 2022 at 10:09 pm

Hi I just discovered your channel. I’m about 30 minutes North of you also in Zone 3. The past three years I’ve had a cut flower garden. I love it and can’t decide if I want to expand to sell bouquets or just continue with what I’ve been doing.

16. Rowan None on July 1, 2022 at 10:09 pm

My florist can’t get enough of my yellow statice. The only reason I don’t like it is that the plants don’t do as well as the other colours.

17. Donna Bauer of Brilliance by Dezign on July 1, 2022 at 10:10 pm

Well I am happy for you however I missed what you did to make your sales?.

18. Dick and Hope’s Magical Rainbow Garden on July 1, 2022 at 10:12 pm

I haven’t made it through the whole video yet, so maybe you say this later on, but here is my advice. All the things that you are trying on instagram should be done on facebook. If you had 500 facebook followers and posted these things, you’d see sales in my opinion. Another thing is for the customers to have a chance to buy without messaging you first. Maybe you place the bouquets in a certain place in your yard with an honesty box. This has worked for us. We try for 5 bouquets 3 x a week and sell out every day. In addition, we are kept busy by special orders on non flower stand days.

19. The Dri Journal on July 1, 2022 at 10:13 pm

How do you store the hand tied bouquets before they are in the hands of the new owner?

20. kellykilfeather on July 1, 2022 at 10:13 pm

I’m not sure about hiring influencers… I don’t know anyone who has has success with that.
    But what about approaching other businesses for a collab? Like restaurants… they have a local following. You give them some free flowers for their restaurant and they then show off the pretty flowers on their table display on their social media, linking you. And going out and meeting the restaurant owners or managers will help build relationships and they might become customers too.

21. Heart for the Homestead on July 1, 2022 at 10:15 pm

I love your mug at the end – my husband got me the same one :).
    You mentioned sharing flower farming Reaources from Dollarama, but I can’t find where you posted what they are?

22. Harveer Kaur on July 1, 2022 at 10:17 pm

Your flowers are lovely!! Hope you have great sales.

23. w pr on July 1, 2022 at 10:20 pm

scissors are not good to cut flowers

24. Pualani Casey on July 1, 2022 at 10:20 pm

I watch a YT channel called "You Can’t Eat the Grass." She is a flower and vegetable farmer. She sells more bouquets than veges. Maybe you can get some good information from her on sales. She will make $20 bouquets. Sometimes $15. Her goal each week is $1000 in sales, some from veges, but she’s almost wanting to go full flower farmer. Anyways, maybe you can get some tips from her channel or contacting her.

25. Lisa Feck on July 1, 2022 at 10:21 pm

I read a few comments before watching, the comments about your talent for arranging is true. I see flower farmers arrangements, though they have amazing, beautiful flowers, I really do not think their bouquets hold a candle to yours. Thank your for sharing. I pray you achieve great success.

26. Michelle Elsom on July 1, 2022 at 10:23 pm

The filler is Alchemilla mollis – very easy to propagate, just take a bit of the base with a root & pot up.

27. Melody Melody on July 1, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Hi fellow Saskatchewanian something that has worked very well here in my small community is to a weekly bouquet of flowers for say 15 to 20 dollars a week delivered early morn to the door. People would do this as a present for someone for a month at a time and even for a person in long term care. So every week on say Friday your customer whao paid in advance puts a bucket with water on a step or by their door and every Saturday morn before the hustle and bustle starts you deliver the bouquet of flowers. They awaken every Saturday or which ever day you choose to a fresh bouquet of flowers. Works great. Then you can if you have extra flowers sell at a market or however. Let me worn you in advance have an extra container or two and a jug with water when you deliver because sometimes the bucket is forgotten. Wrapping hand tied bouquets in tissue and brown craft paper make a bouquet extra special. Just a suggestion. 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

28. norma sommerville on July 1, 2022 at 10:26 pm

Alchemila Mollis …lime green H.P…..love it in my bunches…best picked early..cut plant back to get second cutting (✿ ♡‿♡)

29. Diane Cotton on July 1, 2022 at 10:26 pm

Oh, l LOVE that sunflower bouquet!

30. A Garden Ramble on July 1, 2022 at 10:27 pm

So happy for you!

31. Lisa Feck on July 1, 2022 at 10:27 pm

Comos for greeans! Never thought of that, what a good idea, they look great, add so much to the bouquet and they are abundant.

32. Tracy Gale-Hansen on July 1, 2022 at 10:32 pm

Lady’s Mantle

33. Donalee Slack on July 1, 2022 at 10:33 pm

Is the flower called LADY’S MANTEL?

34. Doug's Wife on July 1, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Lady’s Mantle!! I love it too, I have three bushes.

35. M G on July 1, 2022 at 10:40 pm

Thank you so much for showing the ups and downs! Not to mention your processing on how you adjusted and problem solved ❤️ SO helpful!

36. Brittni on July 1, 2022 at 10:41 pm

I’m new here and starting to look into farming flowers. Your arrangements were lovely. I may have accidentally skipped a bit of the video somewhere, maybe…? I’m a bit confused as to what changes you made that resulted in the sale increase. Was it just wrapping the bouquets for the farmers market? You were indicating that the increased followers on your IG wasn’t really resulting in sales…

37. Martyna Gonzalez on July 1, 2022 at 10:42 pm

I love your bouquets just beautiful wow!!

38. Virna Farm on July 1, 2022 at 10:42 pm

Beautiful!! Have you listened to Profitable Mindset? Charlotte Smith is awesome.

39. Danielle Doan on July 1, 2022 at 10:43 pm

Love you! Keep on keeping on girl!

40. Green Bee Floral Co. on July 1, 2022 at 10:43 pm

Hand tied bouquets for the win.
    I can move 50-60 hand tied bouquets at our farmer’s market and around 10 mason jars. London, ON. Canada. So at least that’s consistent across the country. 😉

41. Rebecca Pem on July 1, 2022 at 10:44 pm

I agree about the highlighter yellow Statice 😀 I had one plant of it grow and it died.

42. Serene Pedersen on July 1, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Really enjoying your artful yet honest videos! Very valuable information. And kudos to your continued enthusiasm in the face of any setbacks or challenges! I especially like that you’re pulling this off in zone 3! Very inspiring! Just wondering how you manage to grow frosted explosion grass! When are you able to put it in the ground? I always write it off as taking too long. Such a beautiful plant and used to great effect by yourself!

43. Megan Burdett on July 1, 2022 at 10:45 pm

I did all my highschool years in Stoon and Regina!

44. Boneta Parrish on July 1, 2022 at 10:46 pm

Wow!!! Your bouquets are jam-packed with such lovely and tasteful variety! (And personally, I really liked the highliter yellow statice too.)

45. Cherruau Marc on July 1, 2022 at 10:46 pm

HI – I don’t mean to criticize your content is great. but the music is so loud it is impossible to hear you. have a nice day!

46. Joleen Peters on July 1, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Your videos are so helpful 🙂

47. Radmila Miljanić on July 1, 2022 at 10:50 pm

Beautiful bouquets, good luck with the wedding arrangements, just keep going forward! Wish you success😃

48. dc0145a on July 1, 2022 at 10:51 pm

New subscriber. From New Hampshire. Your channel popped up today. 🥰 🌻 🌻 love your bouquets 💕 you are adorable. curious, what do you use for filming? Editing?

49. Hukali Shohe on July 1, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Wish I work with you💞

50. Heather B Nice on July 1, 2022 at 10:54 pm

We have a girl that sells them out of her cute van. You gotta hit the farmers markets fun little towns. Go to small towns. I feel like unless you’re doing a big event event people will pick up cute flower arrangements when they’re out and about but not want to drive some place to go and actually get them. The local flower place I told you about puts small little bouquets together and sets them in a local coffee shop daily daily they are beautiful and for sale if not it’s pretty and a good idea yeah for business