Indoor Hydroponic Strawberries: Lots of Berries!!

Indoor Hydroponic Strawberries: Lots of Berries!!

We recently started growing strawberries in our DIY indoor hydroponic system! We had a few challenges at first but the plants are producing a lot of berries for us now! In this video we go into detail on how we planted and grew the strawberries. When researching this ourselves it was hard to find much information on how to grow strawberries indoors. Hope you find it helpful!

Check out our website for more information on how to build and indoor hydroponic system just like ours!

Here is some of the gear we use within our hydroponic systems (these are affiliate links so if you make a purchase using them, we may earn a small commission at no cost to you):

Mars Hydro TSL 2000 LED Grow Light: https://amzn.to/38bKsCp
Active Grow LED Grow Light: https://amzn.to/2WqHwwq
Water Pump: https://amzn.to/3dZKjUB
Air Pump: https://amzn.to/39NW6SH
1.5″ Net Cups: https://amzn.to/2UOnifW
2″ Net Cups: https://amzn.to/2VeqMrR
Grow Plugs: https://amzn.to/2UOBUMv
Nutrients: https://amzn.to/3bV5HbW
Pump Tubing (1/2″): https://amzn.to/3bYod3e
Return Tubing (1″): https://amzn.to/3aUMbfK
Grow Light: https://amzn.to/2xUdBDE
1″ Double Threaded Bulkhead Fitting: https://amzn.to/3esCNB6
1/2″ Double Threaded Bulkhead Fitting: https://amzn.to/2ZJOwr1

1. ray lee on July 4, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Hi, thanks for your video, it look very useful info for me as i trying to plant my strawberry in indoor farm. May i know the reason why you choose expanded clay pellets as a growing medium? And also do you control the water PH in the NFT system? If yes, what is the PH level you recommend? My country is at Malaysia, Malaysia weather always hot and high humidity. What is the recommended temperature and humidity to control / maintenance during plant the strawberry?

2. Erwin Dave Dahao on July 4, 2022 at 10:45 pm

Is this nft or kratky?

3. Quick-TECH on July 4, 2022 at 10:46 pm

the reason your berries are weird shaped is that they are not pointed. you need to introduce pollinators to them. like bees. but it’s a difficult task. or pollinate them yous self with a q tip.

4. CrankyCoder on July 4, 2022 at 10:46 pm

are you doing ebb and flow? or do you have it just running the water over the roots multiple times a day? great vid!

5. P M on July 4, 2022 at 10:47 pm

How long did these bear before you had to replace them?

6. G L on July 4, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Was this using standard T5 lights? Did you need any special lighting for fruiting?

7. ozricus on July 4, 2022 at 10:49 pm

What is your spacing between the strawberries?

8. Bhong Bernal on July 4, 2022 at 10:50 pm

should you give them different strength of nutrient solution when they start to flower? they will be needing diff amount of NPK as compared to lettuce..TIA

9. DIYchef on July 4, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Thanks mate! Just got my system working, similar to yours, round pipes 4", just 2 x 2 meters now but will expand later on, thinking of 3" pipes then for strawberrys and maybe some herbs.. So much fun, got alot going on now, pak choi, alot of different sallats, strawberrys… Also started 2 kratkys.. Video will come when i got some more to show.. 😀

10. fall0rn on July 4, 2022 at 10:56 pm

wait do the strawberries need to get pollinated to grow fruits?

11. Tyler Bolamperti on July 4, 2022 at 10:57 pm

What variety of strawberry

12. DJ Siddhesh on July 4, 2022 at 10:57 pm

What grow lights can be used, can we use t5 tube

13. Ryan Jet Li on July 4, 2022 at 10:58 pm

what should be the PH level?

14. Kevin Arnold on July 4, 2022 at 10:58 pm

How long would you suggest trimming flower buds and runners while the starters grow?

Have you thought of any good methods for allowing runners to root in order to create new plants?

15. Doubravka Cuzova on July 4, 2022 at 10:59 pm

I was just wondering if you have them in perfect conditions and you supply them with light nutrients and water how long do they live?
    Will they supply you with berries for as long as you supply them with these 3 things?

16. Tuddy Talk on July 4, 2022 at 11:03 pm

Did you need to pollinate the strawberries with a make up brush or something?

17. Antonio Kutija on July 4, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Hello, how high are the lights from the plant?

18. Codyb6s on July 4, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Super helpful video. Thank you. I’ve been rooting plants in my aquarium for years. Monstera and pathos. I’ve always wanted to bear fruit though.

19. Simple Greens Hydroponics on July 4, 2022 at 11:06 pm

If you’d like to learn more, we made an article on our website outlining our strawberry approach!

20. Leandro Muniz Gonçalves on July 4, 2022 at 11:09 pm

Hello, I bought your course but you didn’t teach how to measure ppm (nutrients). and taking the opportunity, I would like to ask how to pollinate strawberries.
    Thank you.

21. rob g on July 4, 2022 at 11:10 pm

The weird shape is from improper pollination. You gotta shake those flowers a bit or use a qtip. I know they are "Self pollinating" But thats gotta be done when doing them indoors. Not from flower to flower but just each one on its own. Gotta spread that love. Great video

22. Ab H on July 4, 2022 at 11:12 pm

Did you need to polinate them or do they take care of themselves?

23. Giles Fraser on July 4, 2022 at 11:12 pm

Hey you didn’t talk about pH number
. Nice video bro

24. Living Life Custom on July 4, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Definately will do this

25. Aaron Down on July 4, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Do you rotate your plants because I am growing mine in a pot with soil inside and I hear it is supposed to be good for the plant even though I am really new to growing strawberries

26. Florida Salon on July 4, 2022 at 11:17 pm

I want to see the baby picking strawberries. That’s wonderful you let her snack as she likes in your grow room.. Good dad.

27. ILLVMINATED on July 4, 2022 at 11:19 pm

Which variant is that? Also are everbearing ones better than the day-neutral ones?

28. Tater on July 4, 2022 at 11:20 pm

How are you pollination the berries?

29. Metqa on July 4, 2022 at 11:20 pm

Thank you for showing from start to harvest.

30. Benjamin Smith on July 4, 2022 at 11:20 pm

Are you fertilizing these or do they self fertilize?

31. Vikas Hirani on July 4, 2022 at 11:21 pm

Hi, Thanks for the video! I have planted 81 strawberry plants. Please guide me
    1. What colour light are you using for strawberry?
    2. Is it necessary to cut the base of the cups ?
    3. Do the flowers self pollinate? I have been told that my plants are self pollinating, but I am not sure.
    Thank you and I look forward for your reply.

32. Suspendius on July 4, 2022 at 11:22 pm

I’m interested in how you pollinate them. I heard it can be done with a qtip or something like that but it seems like a lot of work. Is there an easier, quicker way to do that?

33. Igor Fomenko on July 4, 2022 at 11:24 pm

I think you have excess of nitrate and deficiency of potassium. Solutions for fruits and leffy greens must be different.

34. jtrinh52 on July 4, 2022 at 11:30 pm

did you say your 3 yo f" them off? disgusting language

35. REDDAIAH GUNDLURI on July 4, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Unsesonly strawberry fruits cultivation possible entairy years

36. james Williams on July 4, 2022 at 11:30 pm

What’s the ph

37. Emerald Faith Rosalita on July 4, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Hi how many hours do keep the grow lights on?

38. Cryptoartizmo on July 4, 2022 at 11:31 pm

What do u recommended for feeding them?

39. stonewarebirds on July 4, 2022 at 11:32 pm

The shape is affected by pollination.

40. Dan Smith on July 4, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your updates and tips & tricks! Going through your Udemy course now

1) Do you think there would be any benefit to using 5 x 5 fence posts to allow more room for the roots of strawberries or tomatoes?
    2) I might have missed it (or hasn’t been made yet), were you able to make the video showing your cost breakdown?

41. P M on July 4, 2022 at 11:34 pm

Did you have to hand-pollinate them?

42. SnifterRoux on July 4, 2022 at 11:35 pm

What PPM is that? Hanna, Eutech, Truncheon?
    Also other than EC charts and pH charts which seem to differ a lot, are there any tips to finding good variety of crops to share the same nutrients?
    I want to grow a nice variety but don’t want dozens of different nutrient tanks

43. I adore G-d , do you ? on July 4, 2022 at 11:36 pm

I did it with the seeds and it comes pretty fast

44. The Future Of Gardening on July 4, 2022 at 11:36 pm

Hey there. How have your strawberries been holding up? I’m doing a hydroponic indoor system as well, but mine is vertical. Loved the video!

45. Androsaryan Norman on July 4, 2022 at 11:37 pm

This was very helpful. Thanks 👍

46. Lillian Schnee on July 4, 2022 at 11:38 pm

For your strawberries, do they need to be pollinated?

47. Yc W on July 4, 2022 at 11:40 pm

Do you pollinate the strawberry flowers by hand?

48. Anthony Norman on July 4, 2022 at 11:41 pm

Really enjoyed your video, just subscribed to your channel.
    I am new to hydroponics and the reason i got into it is because of the climate where i am currently living. Dubai UAE is a very hot and humid country most of the year practically from May to November, the sun seems extremely harsh as well with temperatures averaging 45+ degrees Celsius from 10:00am to 20:00pm.

Coming from South Africa, i am use to being able to go to a grocery store a pick up 500g of strawberries for about US$3 and they taste amazing, in the UAE its all imported with prices around US$8 upwards. Tried to grow a few items in my 20m2 garden but only have 5 good months to so, now am into hydroponics and hoping to grow my own.

Any advise on the tool/equipment which you use to measure the PPM and Acidity Level as well as the best type of nutrients, i have a Growing Light but not sure if it will aid in the growing of my strawberries.

49. Greensky02 on July 4, 2022 at 11:41 pm

Always wanted to grow my own strawberries indoors but wouldn’t it be quite expensive running multiple 2000 Watt grow lights for 12 hours every day? Not to mention of course the initial cost of the equipment itself plus the setup time and constant monitoring. I know it’s a hobby, but I’ll likely just stick to buying my fruit and veggies at the store >.<

50. Anthony Barker on July 4, 2022 at 11:42 pm

1000 ppm of which nutrient?