Holst: "I Vow To Thee My Country" (Orchestral Arrangement)

Holst: "I Vow To Thee My Country" (Orchestral Arrangement)

“I Vow To Thee My Country (Hymn from ”Jupiter”)” This hymn tune by the British composer Gustav Holst is based on the stately theme from the middle section of the “Jupiter” movement of his orchestral suite “The Planets.” He adapted the theme in 1921 to fit the patriotic poem “I Vow to Thee, My Country” by Sir Cecil Spring-Rice. The hymn was first performed in 1925 and quickly became a patriotic anthem. It was played at Diana, Princess of Wales’ wedding to Prince Charles and also performed as part of her funeral ceremony in 1997.

I realized this arrangement for full “orchestra” including pipe organ and double choir.

This piece is dedicated to my friends and distant relations living in the United Kingdom.

1. Lucy Cross on July 5, 2022 at 10:01 pm

i swear the castle in the picture at 0.26 is in Scotland, not England … unless there is a duplicate 😉

2. piothub on July 5, 2022 at 10:04 pm

very nice

3. Paul Millyard on July 5, 2022 at 10:05 pm

Stirring stuff ,gets to you right to the bottom of your stomach .

4. dazzini82 on July 5, 2022 at 10:06 pm

So why then do Ireland want to play for the British Lions? We are talking players from the Republic! If they dislike Britain so much then why play?! Don’t say British and Irish Lions because that would suggest only players from Ulster! It should be British and Ulster Lions or just British Lions!

5. Laurence Hamilton on July 5, 2022 at 10:10 pm

0:40 lmao tag an irishman

6. Axel Trainwagon on July 5, 2022 at 10:16 pm

This is such a beautiful peice of music. It is very fitting to Britain, a mervelous country.

7. Andrew Mulholland on July 5, 2022 at 10:17 pm

Northern Ireland has a flag of its on and it is certainly not the Tri Colour of the Irish Free State. We have a flag of our own which symbolises the loyality of the Northern Irish people to the crown.

8. Julian Opificius on July 5, 2022 at 10:19 pm

You have relations over there? I moved over to the States from England thirty eight years ago, and am still not sure it was the right thing to do.

9. Alexis Franco on July 5, 2022 at 10:19 pm

Omg, this is a beautifull piece of art, love it!!!!!

10. Carey R. Meltz on July 5, 2022 at 10:22 pm

Thank you kindly for listening and taking the time to comment. I tried to include images (including the national flags and flowers) for each of the countries, however, there’s a bit of an issue with Ireland’s flag that was not done intentionally – yet most people have tended to focus on instead of the real beauty here that is the piece of music.

11. bynar1o on July 5, 2022 at 10:23 pm

this is undoubtedly the most beautiful hymn ever created by any human being on earth….excellent arrangement, thank you

12. Carey R. Meltz on July 5, 2022 at 10:29 pm

What a lovely comment. Thank you! So many people have commented on the "Irish" flag but it’s the one that comes up when searched on Google… I put it in and the rest is history. No offense was intended to anyone but I don’t want to redo the video again (already replaced England’s flad instead of the Union Jack). There’s too many comments up already. Perhaps I’ll just do another version. It’s a shame that most have only commented on the flag instead of the music or arrangement. I’m disappointed

13. Ethan Newsom on July 5, 2022 at 10:33 pm

I am willing to guess you made this is Mixcraft 6.

14. Dorksche on July 5, 2022 at 10:38 pm

Unbelievable – what a hymn. Greetings from Germany and God bless your country

15. dave etcetera on July 5, 2022 at 10:42 pm

Wars could be averted if music like this was cranked up during a battle; everyone would fall to their knees sobbing.

16. Carey R. Meltz on July 5, 2022 at 10:46 pm

Thank you for the information. I have had this comment from another. I used the trr-colour flag simply as a reference to Ireland as a "country" and not for "separate states." To be honest, when one Googles "flag of Ireland," the tri-colour is the image that appears. No offense was intended. Cheers.

17. Carey R. Meltz on July 5, 2022 at 10:51 pm

Thank you for watching and taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate it.

18. sebisdee 1 on July 5, 2022 at 10:51 pm

Why isnt this our national anthem

19. alexier mayes on July 5, 2022 at 10:52 pm

Would it be possible to use this in our Remembrance service? I can most certainly add a credit for you?

20. leefly85 on July 5, 2022 at 10:55 pm

Think this was fab a great piece of music very moving well done!

21. Carey R. Meltz on July 5, 2022 at 10:58 pm

It could very well be Lucy. For each of the countries, I Googled images and used what came up. I guess people tend to name/tag things incorrectly. I just tried to add some images from each part of the UK along with an image of each national flower. Perhaps I will redo the piece once I’ve had a chance to visit the UK and take my own photographs. Thanks for listening and commenting.

22. Carey R. Meltz on July 5, 2022 at 10:58 pm

LOL yes John but not a very good sound font. Thanks for listening.

23. Rex Jhefferson Daz on July 5, 2022 at 10:59 pm

i liked your video but ireland is not a part of the union but northern ireland is. the flag you showed is the flag of the republic of ireland.

24. Kernow on July 5, 2022 at 11:01 pm

love this piece of music. Holsts, The Planets was my introduction to classical music at 12 years old and is still my favourite