the Hard TRUTH about Amending Soil with Mulch | Florida Fall Vegetable Gardening

Want to make Black Gold Soil? Have Sandy soil? Thinking about amending your soil with mulch? Or suppressing weeds with mulch? Or how about back to eden method? I’ll be taking you along and talking about the hard truth of amending soil to make black gold with mulch.
________
FREE SEASONAL GARDENING CALENDAR
________
BECOME A MEMBER!
YouTube Membership https://youtu.be/qJvuB5bq8rM
_________
MULCH
Chip Drop www.getchipdrop.com

SEEDS – Good Gardens
_________
CATTLE PANEL TRELLIS SUPPLIES
Cattle Panel (1 per arch)
7ft T-post (4 per arch)
T-post Clips (1 bag per three arches)
T-post Driver
Tractor Supply Affiliate Link: https://www.pjatr.com/t/TUJGRU1GSEJHRk5MR0ZCRkhMRUxM
_________
GARDEN TOOLS
Yard Cart: https://amzn.to/3m0Ak5r
9 Piece Garden Tool Set: https://amzn.to/339WgCx
Machete / Hatchet: https://amzn.to/3h8Coor
Hedge Trimmers: https://amzn.to/3m5GBx4
Hand Saw: https://amzn.to/3ha9pkd

GARDEN GEAR
Boots: https://amzn.to/3m11gSO
Shirt: https://teespring.com/stores/wild-floridian

ORGANIC GARDENING
Miracle-Gro Fertilizer https://amzn.to/3rhl7Q2
Miracle-Gro Organic Fertilizer https://amzn.to/38mEw9J
Miracle-Gro Organic Container Soil https://amzn.to/3aunNEk
The Soil in Video can be picked up at store and was not available on Amazon at this time

IN THE KITCHEN
Food Scale https://amzn.to/34XRVEv
Stasher Reusable Storage Bags https://amzn.to/3n5OIc5

FILMING EQUIPMENT
iPhone 8: https://amzn.to/3ka9kz1
Protective iPhone 8 Case: https://amzn.to/3i5tuJH
Gimbal: https://amzn.to/3jYEZDm
Tripod with Ring Light: https://amzn.to/32b76cl

DISCLAIMER: This video and description contain affiliate links. As an affiliate associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
_________
CONNECT
Twitter @WildFloridian https://twitter.com/WildFloridian
Instagram wild_floridian https://www.instagram.com/wild_floridian/
Facebook Wild Florida https://www.facebook.com/WildFloridian

________
MUSIC CREDIT

Childhood by Mike Chino https://soundcloud.com/mike-chino
Creative Commons β€” Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported β€” CC BY-SA 3.0
Free Download / Stream: https://bit.ly/childhood_
Music promoted by Audio Library https://youtu.be/RWaPL0km2fs

1. K O'holohan on July 6, 2022 at 10:05 pm

You can make this intro music incredibly Latin by speeding the video up 2x lmao

2. Gidget Hale on July 6, 2022 at 10:05 pm

After watching this I have to ask, aren’t you worried about termites? I mean you hear horror stories about houses in tropical places and termites. 😱

3. Mario Charles on July 6, 2022 at 10:05 pm

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS VIDEO!! I’ve seen so many other videos that are so much more complicated!

4. mary w on July 6, 2022 at 10:07 pm

This is only the second video of yours I’ve seen and want to watch all – Do you address Beautyberry bushes in any previous vids? I just picked mine for jelly/syrup and wondered since I saw some in your intro. SO YUMMY and free!

5. Dani Hall on July 6, 2022 at 10:08 pm

Oh I feel you! We’re on the west coast of Florida and we’ve turned our entire suburban yard into an edible forest. We have easily put 80 tons of free mulch in our yard over the last two years. We pick it up in our trailer by the ton on the weekends. Our neighbors think we’re nuts, but we love working our property. It has been our sanctuary during this pandemic. Thank you for sharing!

6. Milkweed Dreams on July 6, 2022 at 10:09 pm

I’m on my 5th load of mulch since moving to Jax 4 months ago…my front yard is now grass free and full of edibles…and butterflies…enjoying the journey, hard work for a 72 yo alone, but it keeps me fit and mobile…pretty sure my new neighbors think I’m crazy, next year they’ll know the reason…

7. Julie Tengel on July 6, 2022 at 10:09 pm

Coconut water does the same thing Gatoraid does and it healthier. Way, way too much sugar. Just because it was created for athletes it doesn’t proof its better. I wouldn’t normally say anything but because you were promoting it I can’t let it go. Gatoraid is the worst thing. I do agree that wood chips are the best thing though.

8. Lauren Paolini on July 6, 2022 at 10:12 pm

I have a truckload of mulch in my driveway right now. I swear, you work for hours, and it doesn’t seem like the pile ever goes down!
    BTW, it’s Dave’s fetid swamp water. 😊

9. Maggi Dull on July 6, 2022 at 10:12 pm

It probably felt like the more you worked on the mulch pile, the more it grew! LOL. Slow and steady wins the race. Thank for chinese orchid info. I haven’t come across it myself, but have heard about it arriving in bulk mulch! I feel for you working our hot Fl sun!

10. HisGrace on July 6, 2022 at 10:13 pm

Hi Jacqueline! Thank you for sharing your real hard work in your food forest. I could see the steam coming out of that pile. Still hot in our 10 a zone but exciting to go into fall gardening vegetable planning. I’m looking forward to your next fall vegetable series. πŸ˜šβ˜ΊπŸ€—πŸ˜Ž

11. Sunshine Jenny on July 6, 2022 at 10:14 pm

Fun to see the kids. I also get great compost/soil for free from the Citrus County Landfill/Waste Management. It is great. They have fine and course. Maybe, we can share which FL counties have good compost I know Pasco County also has some good compost.

12. Tara Marie on July 6, 2022 at 10:15 pm

Was all that mulch on the driveway one truck load of the chip dump? I will also be using the driveway to have my mulch dumped, but wondered if that was one truck load or not. Thanks for these videos! So informative!

13. Heather Reis on July 6, 2022 at 10:16 pm

I wanna add wood chips to my raised garden bed pathways and all around the front of my house. This place local to me sells natural wood chips for pretty cheap but my husbands scared of termites (which ive been told by a few that that spray theyll spray on foundations while the house is being built will keep that problem away) but my biggest problem thats holding me back is ants. I already am having to battle them in my raised beds so i dont wanna be stepping all over them in the mulch getting tore up.

14. Michelle Roberts on July 6, 2022 at 10:17 pm

What kind of mulch are you using? Thanks. Also, if you don’t mind, what part of Florida are you in? I’m in the coastal panhandle. I need all the advice I can get, I’m from Ohio, and love to garden!

15. Svela Nikolova on July 6, 2022 at 10:18 pm

Geg goat and rabbit poo with the medding
    Spread it 5 inches thick
    Water it well
    Let it rot all fall winter and spring.
    In the spring put your seedlings in
    Put 4 layers thick newspaper or contactors paper
    Cover 5 inches thick with grass and nettle clippings.
    Happy gardening on a dime

16. Flowerfreak 72 on July 6, 2022 at 10:18 pm

My neighbors keep telling me they don’t like when people mulch because it attracts roaches and other unwanted bugs. Your take?

17. Eris Apollo on July 6, 2022 at 10:19 pm

I live in Marion county ive been trying to find native fire bush for my yard if your throwing away the babys ir composting them i could love some if you could mail it up or even the seeds so i can start some would be epic 😁πŸ₯°πŸ˜ ive been getting back into gardening sence my grandfather recently passed and your videos have been awesome 😁 thank you for making them

18. Charles Byrne on July 6, 2022 at 10:22 pm

I’m in North Florida south of Tallahassee barely in zone 9a. Mulch is king. I have the sugar sand so I mulch deep. My wife thinks I’m nuts chasing down arborist and having them dump several truckloads in the front yard and I move it to the backyard. This is my second year and I had 4 truckloads and the prior year I had 5 truckloads. It has made a difference in such a short time. I used to struggle keeping plants alive in the sandy soil. I previously mulched with chopped up leaves and pine straw, but it broke down quickly and even with rain the trees and bushes struggled (except rosemary) it just didn’t keep the moisture at the root level during the dog days of summer.

With the arborist mulch plants are thriving even during the dry months. The soil temp is stable and the ground layer is cool and moist with loamy sandy soil the does clump together.
    I’ll be chasing down arborist trucks this year as well and I’ll try to keep adding a layer each year to develop the soil. I have started incorporating two additional amendments when I plant something new and add to existing plants via compost: biochar and clay. I burn my pruning after they dry out doing the cone pit method (see skillcult’s channel on biochar) then charge it. The clay was from some info found about farming practices in Australia where they have similiar sandy and heat conditions. They use micronized clay at 5% with good results. I use bentonite clay from unscented kitty litter or from clay used to soak up oil spills and I just mix in no more than 5% into new holes or add the same ratio into compost/vermicompost during harvest. The biochar I usually crush up and put on top of the soil and let nature do the rest. It is the first year for both clay and biochar so I expect it will take a while.

19. l.a.r.t 4ever on July 6, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Hello there,

I am new into gardening and I live in Florida.
    My question is about garden soil.
    The ones you buy in bags and use them to mix with native soil before planting.
    The thing is that most of these bags says it feeds for 3 or 4 months so after those months are over, should I buy more bags of garden soil and just dump it over my whole garden again to keep on feeding my plants and put mulch over it? I will appreciate your answers.

Thank you!

20. Fredd King on July 6, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Keep the videos comin, trying to figure out Florida growing this year.

21. Joey L. Rowland on July 6, 2022 at 10:26 pm

Hey Wild Floridian a slow release nitrogen will make you mulch decompose quickly. It will also make your plant explode. More mulch. It is good for your mulch to heat up.

22. A M on July 6, 2022 at 10:26 pm

I have smaller beds in zone b so chip drop would be way too much mulch for me. If I buy mulch at big box store, what should I buy? Cypress, pine? Want to stay organic.

23. Life With Taffy on July 6, 2022 at 10:27 pm

Loving the mulch. It’s so nice find a South Florida gardener channel

24. Carmen Imfeld on July 6, 2022 at 10:27 pm

OMG! There’s a look on your face when you finish loading the wagon and look at the camera! I make that face! It’s the one where you don’t notice the heat anymore because you can barely suck in air, and you’re thinking, "Somebody stop me. I wonder if I have heat stroke. Would I know? Surely, I must be dying. Can the neighbors hear me grunting?" And it’s only been 10 minutes. But we enjoy every minute!

25. Health Inform on July 6, 2022 at 10:30 pm

I Will Start working On This Month, πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ‘

26. Vivian on July 6, 2022 at 10:32 pm

I love wood chips!! Here in MN I can get mine for free from the electric company….this year I moved 5 truck loads by hand/ wheelbarrow myself over my huge gardens….but I wasn’t contending with that oppressive heat…πŸ₯΅ I got hot enough just from working.
    One tip for u is to position ur wagon in the direction u will pull it back to the garden when it is empty…so u don’t have to exert extra energy turning it around full πŸ‘πŸ’ͺπŸ˜‰

27. David Decatur on July 6, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Great job good exercise! I do this too!

28. Melissa B on July 6, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I’ve been gardening here for years and I still learn a lot from you. I guess I’m too rural for chip drop, but I do the same with rolls of hay. Honestly, the hay is easier – it unrolls like paper towels. I can spread 900 lbs in a couple of hours. The only caveat: 6 inches or more otherwise weeds get through. The other great thing about all this mulch is I have far fewer fire ants 😁

29. Svela Nikolova on July 6, 2022 at 10:38 pm

You can do bark plus stinging nettle mulch

30. Jolus on July 6, 2022 at 10:41 pm

I’m always shocked by people who feel the need to rake up and bag fallen leaves. Their soil turns completely infertile. Also soil exposed to the sun can become hot enough to fry plant roots. I keep my soil shaded with leaf mulch and dense plantings. It’s why everything grows so abundantly in my yard.

31. Donna Hill on July 6, 2022 at 10:42 pm

I was so excited to find a Florida video on mulch but this video has SO MUCH fluff. Thanks for making the video though.

32. Dakota Ovdan on July 6, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Do you use free city mulch?

33. Hugh Jass on July 6, 2022 at 10:45 pm

You’d save yourself a ton of work if you’d shove that cart into the pile and drag the mulch into it instead of scooping and pivoting every shovel full into it.

34. Food From The Yard on July 6, 2022 at 10:50 pm

I always like to put a layer of cardboard down to help with the weeds. But your right cant go wrong with more mulch especially if you have sandy soil.

35. Charles Byrne on July 6, 2022 at 10:51 pm

I have a tip for loading the mulch. When it is higher than your wheel barrow move your wheel barrow right up to it lift the bucket like you are dumping with the handles pointing up to the sky then use the pitchfork and at the highest point rake in the mulch so that gravity does most of the work to fill it up then lower the wheel barrow and it will be half full. Then load the rest. It works great it you have a pile over six feet. If under six feet you can park the wheel barrow next to the pile and rake in a good portion with the pitchfork.

36. john sauls on July 6, 2022 at 10:51 pm

Love the soup your enemy comment. I’ve been making compost tea from weeds and grass clippings for awhile now. Thanks to David the Good. I look at weeds as free food now . Lol ! sometimes I get mad they’re not growing fast enough ! Lazy weeds !

37. MrThumper1440 on July 6, 2022 at 10:52 pm

Is there any chance that termites would be attracted to the mulch? My neighbor swears that no wood chips should be used other than cypress mulch.

38. Backlight2980 on July 6, 2022 at 10:52 pm

Song just made it to my playlist:)

39. RC Prepping on July 6, 2022 at 10:53 pm

I add mulch and compost every month, all year round. Love living in central Florida, zone 9b, mainly for the year round gardening. A man has to eat!

40. The Survival Gardening Channel with David The Good on July 6, 2022 at 10:54 pm

I have come to the conclusion that adding biochar to sand helps stabilize the carbon… mulch and compost disappear so fast!

41. Aura Hall on July 6, 2022 at 10:55 pm

What do you use for mulch? Please tell.

42. K S on July 6, 2022 at 10:55 pm

people tell me that mulch in FL attracts bugs, like termites. Is this not true? I would like to do this…

43. dawn gagliano on July 6, 2022 at 10:56 pm

My hubby and I have a three year old food forest and have been adding mulch about a foot thick ..We do let our mulch piles lay around for months before we spread .. We also add manure ,seaweed ,comfrey and compost tea .. We have seen the black you gold you speak of .. Mushrooms are growing everywhere ,weeding is almost gone The forest looks very healthy .. Thanks for the video ..

44. David Welty on July 6, 2022 at 10:56 pm

You are such Floridians. You have an Epcot shirt, dole whip hat, and he is wearing a Publix shirt. Oh, and you’re talking about Gatoraid. The only thing that would have improved the video is if you were eating a PubSub.

45. Kerri Irvin on July 6, 2022 at 10:57 pm

Cute shirt πŸ˜‰

46. Nicole Hutton on July 6, 2022 at 10:57 pm

Hi, I love your channel! I always thought I had a black thumb. You’ve given me confidence to try again and learning to use native plants. (live just south of st pete) I’m starting with a small flower bed with plants. My question is can I use mulch on it? It’s has plants that like moist to dry soil.

47. Eden Homestead on July 6, 2022 at 11:01 pm

We spread 3ft of mulch over 2 acres. Hard work indeed!

48. LilTinkTinky on July 6, 2022 at 11:01 pm

Where do you get your mulch from?

49. Lee M on July 6, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Where do you get mulch from that comes in a truck? I buy at box stores. I hope I can grow one this year. I still only have four above ground areas. Are you growing in your front yard? I tried in the ground here in Central Florida when I worked but only beans grew and I gave up. Was a Navy wife for 21 yrs so always rented and all my life I wanted to garden. I get frustrated, when young from Maryland and I could grow a garden. I made all the mistakes here for Florida. If the heat did not kill it then the bugs did. I am in Auburndale area. Near Winter Haven. haha!

50. Qui Tran on July 6, 2022 at 11:03 pm

How deep is the black gold? It seems my plants do well until their roots hit the sand and, bam, STUNT. It’s so frustrating..