Garden Q and A – Great Garden and Landscape Questions

Garden Q and A – Great Garden and Landscape Questions

Garden Q and A – Great Garden Questions – In this video I answer some questions that were asked on the last garden q and a video. Ask questions down below for next weeks q and a.

Consultations Available – https://www.horttube.com/consultation

Cool Gardening T-Shirts – https://bit.ly/3hXQfPB
Corona Tools Discount Code HORTTUBE15 – https://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/horttube.html

Mail Order Plants – https://amzn.to/2DpDz50
Pest Control – https://amzn.to/32XFxCj

HortTube Playlist – https://bit.ly/3gYx1Iv

For More Information Visit – www.horttube.com
Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/HortTube/
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/horttube/?hl=en

1. Lee on July 7, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Howdy, from Dallas. I have noticed it does not seem WINDY in your area on your video’s. Here it is dry, windy and hot which dries out plants so fast even with mulch.

2. Patricia Baines on July 7, 2022 at 10:39 pm

Jim, I saved my tulip bulbs from last spring in a cool dry place in the mesh bags I received them in. I live in zone 8 in north central Texas I know and I have to give them a period of chilling them in the refrigerator before I can plant them. I need to know when to put them in the refrigerator and for how long. 🌷🌷🌷

3. Aurora south Texas Garden on July 7, 2022 at 10:40 pm

Hi Jim so glad I found you . More closer to my zone 9b. What kind of hydrangeas can I plant in my zone. I tried the big leaf this last spring . They didn’t grow much or flower at all. They are still alive though. In fact I don’t know anyone that has been successful growing hydrangeas around here. Thanks

4. Teresa316 on July 7, 2022 at 10:40 pm

Hi Jim love all the detailed info you give. Could you suggest some good screening plants for mostly shade to part shade in zone 8b southeast Texas. I get an hour of sun in the morning then a couple hours late afternoon sun. Thanks and by the way you have done a gorgeous job on your landscape.

5. Zil Senczy on July 7, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Do dormant plants need sunlight when they’re being overwintered?

6. Nancy Avery on July 7, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Help please, someone has added loads of cow manure to our now garden and they also added large pine mulch chips. This soil is holding too much moisture. What do you suggest I do to fix this problem?

7. Michele Lara on July 7, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Question:
    Is there an abundance of poison ivy in NC, have you ever been exposed to it before? I was weeding my back gardeb bed and my yard is up against a bayou. I brushed up against some poison ivy that was peeking thru our chainlink fence. I dont even remember coming across the ivy! The dr. Prescribed oral steriod for a 21 day treatment. This is no fun 😒

8. mark vanuch on July 7, 2022 at 10:45 pm

jim i live in 8b and my question is 2 fold——one—-i have some agapanthus and they have finishes blooming so they have seed heads cant i plant the seeds —–two can i seperate them and if so is now a good time—-thanks

9. gypsy soul on July 7, 2022 at 10:47 pm

I just planted some liriope this spring. The tag just says "variegata liriope". I think the garden center was selling it from propagation. It has purple blooms, do you think it is the muscari?

10. elsa Grace on July 7, 2022 at 10:49 pm

Glad to have learned about the “10 best native plants” problem. Not gonna do that.

11. Kristy Marie on July 7, 2022 at 10:50 pm

Just planted a Japanese maple a week ago. Has white spots on leaves. Planted in island with an oak tree

12. Michael James on July 7, 2022 at 10:50 pm

I’m looking for an encore azaleas that stays fairly dense and gets to about 3-4 ft max, flower color doesn’t really matter that much. Just want to get rid of my old fashioned azaleas and put in ones that bloom more. Maybe even a darker foliage encore azaleas. Any suggestions for me?

13. Less Talk, More Delicious on July 7, 2022 at 10:50 pm

Do you have any advice or techniques for moving landscape/ornamental boulders by hand, without a crane, skip, bobcat nor heavy machinery??
    I want to move/place more boulders by myself, without any heavy machinery.

I moved 12 small boulders last year with a large hand-dolly + ratchet-straps to secure it to dolly, but they were only small, about 16-28” at longest edge. (was still heavy and a lot of work tho, but fun lol)

I want slightly bigger boulders in the future, maybe 3-3.5’ at its’ longest edge (or maybe even up to 4’ long if possible). But, wondering if those can be moved by hand and if there’s any other special techniques besides a dolly. Or, is a dolly really the best if doing it by hand?

Any help appreciated!
    Would love to see a video/s how to move 3-4’ long boulders by hand. 🙂🙏

14. jennemeg on July 7, 2022 at 10:51 pm

Great point about natives AND non native/non invasive plants, and pollinators. Looking forward to seeing you hit 100k. I’ve watched you’re channel grow fast from about 50k.

15. Zil Senczy on July 7, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Is the "Hell strip" regulated by your town or by your neighborhood? how do you know if you’re allowed to plant in that area or if you have to leave it grass?

16. Patricia Burns on July 7, 2022 at 10:54 pm

Question: About a weeping burgundy fine leafed Japanese Maple. Area code 8b, central Alabama, 20+ years old tree has always been beautiful, leaves healthy, great shape. In mostly full sun, which wasn’t a problem until the last couple of years. The original tag showed full sun. Now the leaves are drying, curling up and dying across the top and spreading around tree. A few years ago a planted a second same type Maple in backyard and it is beginning to have he same problem. What’s wrong? Can’t remember if I fertilized there 2 tree in the Spring when I fertilized my other plants. Please help.

17. Zil Senczy on July 7, 2022 at 10:55 pm

What are some varieties of fruitless gum trees? Do they get some of the exfoliating bark like the regular gum trees?

18. carolyn12 on July 7, 2022 at 10:55 pm

I’m in the north Orlando area and have the blessing of frequent visiting deer, bear, turkeys, etc., however, the deer eat 30% of the items in my yard. The established plants live on for another day, but not the newly planted. The majority of my yard moves from light sun to dappled shade and I desire to introduce another type of shrub to the existing azaleas and camellias. QUES: Is there a certain hydrangea you can recommend for zone 9B that is somewhat deer resistant – or a shrub I’ve not considered? ** Interestingly, the Formosa Azaleas with the darker magenta flowers do not get eaten, only the white flower Formosas, the Encore, and Fashion varieties get munched. All new leaves of the camellias get eaten, ditto with the magnolias. I don’t mind sharing 🙂

19. passepartoot on July 7, 2022 at 10:56 pm

So tell us what you really think of _Liriope spicata_.

(Thanks for answering my question. I’ll keep looking for alternatives.)

20. HortTube with Jim Putnam on July 7, 2022 at 11:00 pm

I forgot to mention at the beginning of the video that I will have lots of giveaways when I reach 100,000 subscribers. I am working with several companies on that. Thanks for watching and participating.

21. SANDY BELLOMY on July 7, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Hi Jim, I rooted a small stem from an Oakleaf hydrangea and now it’s about 10 in tall, growing in a pot outside and looks very happy. But now, I don’t know what to do with it. Where do I go from here? I live in zone 7B in SE Tennessee. Thank you, Sandy

22. zully lozano on July 7, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Hi Jim! Are you going to plant bulbs this fall?

23. Sam Sam on July 7, 2022 at 11:03 pm

Jim, I have a question relevant to gardening conditions out here in California, there is soot and ash everywhere coating my flowers and the leaves of my plants, would it be beneficial to "wash" everything?

24. Ryan Miller on July 7, 2022 at 11:06 pm

@HortTube with Jim Putnam I have found good control over liriope spicata with 2 applications of Tenacity spaced 2 weeks apart, when it is actively growing. It had been used at the home I bought under a pin oak and a boxelder in the back corners of my yard, about 300sq/ft each and tries to creep into the lawn and beds but I’m now able to halt it’s spread. Still a terrible ground cover but I’ve made it work for me! Great stuff for letting your dog thrash around in without worrying about it’s health.

25. Michelle Carver on July 7, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Great information as always!

26. Less Talk, More Delicious on July 7, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Do "Tree-Wraps" work for Trunk Protection from Rabbits, Rats, etc.? Burlap work?

27. Carol Rose on July 7, 2022 at 11:10 pm

?? I have a Japanese Maple in a large container…it cannot be moved easily…in zone 6b would wrapping the container with a frost blanket provide enough protection? Or what do you suggest?

28. Zoey Zoey on July 7, 2022 at 11:11 pm

Great job in your channel, this is the most helpful and informative horticulture channel by far. Also, is Sept. a good time to plant in zone 9 (Houston, TX)? If yes, any suggestions for shrubs or perennials?

29. Cathy Brown on July 7, 2022 at 11:12 pm

Hey Jim, I subscribed when you were at 10,000 subs. Best garden channel on Utube.

30. Flor Neiers on July 7, 2022 at 11:13 pm

Hi Jim, tell me why is so confusing,to dig or not to dig elephant ears in the Winter here in NC zone 7b. I read that there are some varieties that are hardy to zone 7b. Can you help. Thank you!🌸🌸🌸

31. Peggy Krantz on July 7, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Love your comment about the trees dropping their leaves and we humans rake them up and take them away! 🤔🥺😲. For years we have used leaf mulch in our flower beds and have also just mulched up the leaves with the mower and left on the grass. Good stuff!!! Thanks for all the information.

32. Genevieve Barnett on July 7, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Hey Jim, I have a question. I have created a new foundation bed on the south side of my two story home. This side of my house is windowless and home to my 2 air conditioning units. It is so ugly and I’d love to soften the appearance, while respecting the air circulation requirements of my Ac units. I wondered if you could suggest something tall and evergreen, that would remain narrow (6’ wide or less), but break up the ugly, 2 story wall of vinyl. The new bed is 25’ long. I’m in zone 8a. Any suggestions? Thank you!

33. Zil Senczy on July 7, 2022 at 11:16 pm

A lot of purple plum trees look really awful by the end of the summer here in zone 7. Are there any varieties that survive our summers a little better?

34. Sherri Ianiro on July 7, 2022 at 11:18 pm

I have a question – we all know the need for natives but does hybridized engineering affect the quality of a plants pollen?

35. Cathy Osborne on July 7, 2022 at 11:19 pm

We removed seven crape Myrtle plant (trees 20 ft tall) 2 years ago. They also stumped the roots. We continue to have invasive suckers growing in the newly planted shrubs and perennials.. Any suggestions for killing the suckers permanently? I have tried ever solution found on the internet with no success..

36. Adra Bruzzese on July 7, 2022 at 11:21 pm

Jim, I’m glad you said to not have all natives. I have tons of natives but I also have non natives that the pollinators love as well. I try to get sterile non natives if possible and try to make sure not to plant anything invasive. As always great advice. Congrats on almost 100k subs! You deserve it. 😁

37. Jacob Cole on July 7, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Any advice for controlling lace bug on encore azaleas? I planted them last fall (7B, Charlotte NC) and they were a bit heat-stressed this summer; now they are absolutely infested with the buggers. I’m thinking about using an insecticidal soap, but I do not want to kill anything that might feed on the lace bugs. I have also been removing the fallen leaves and trying to spray the eggs off of the bottom of the leaves with water.
    Thanks for all of your knowledge and advice!

38. Lisa Walters on July 7, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Good questions. I have one for next time…in zone 8a central Texas, do I need to pull my Gladiola Corms and replant in the spring? I can’t find any info on this.

39. Geena W on July 7, 2022 at 11:26 pm

Thanks for the great information about the mulch! I’m switching next season. Currently using pine bark nuggets and they wash away with every heavy rain!

40. Jean T. O’M on July 7, 2022 at 11:28 pm

Jim, one last question about bulbs in pots. I am in zone 7 in central VA. Sometimes our winters are very mild with little snow or frost and fairly warm temps. Tulips generally need cold treatment in the frig here to definitely bloom reliably in spring. Your comment about planting in containers got me thinking– do you think I could plant some in bulb pans without cold treatment in the frig, shove them under the deck outdoors and reliably see blooms in Spring from them? They likely would get colder in the pots above ground than they would planted in the soil. Just wondering what you think…I think it might be worth experimenting.

41. mplslawnguy on July 7, 2022 at 11:28 pm

I would love to see more native plant nurseries, but I admit it would probably be pretty tough to be profitable. I do have some near me, but they do wildlife restoration as well, huge projects to restore areas back to the native midwest prairies. I’m guessing that is where they make most of their money, as the retail part of their business isn’t that large. I would just like to see regular garden centers/nurseries offer more native plants in their inventories. And by native plants I mean native plants, not "nativars" as they’re called. There’s a really nice garden center near me that does have a lot of great plants, but the plants that they market as natives are not really natives, they’re cultivars of natives. IMO that’s a little deceptive, but whatever. I do buy things there as I do plant some non native things but I like to keep a large percentage of my landscape as native as possible. Also regarding Jim’s comment about people only planting certain things causing disease to pop up, if people did some research, there are hundreds and hundreds of native plant options out there, you don’t have to just plant 10 things.

42. YtubeChannel on July 7, 2022 at 11:29 pm

Q: Jim have you or your customers ever had to deal with artillery / shotgun fungus. It has really been difficult to remove from our siding and windows. Thanks.

43. R. Duval on July 7, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Hello Jim, always enjoying your informative videos. Thanks!

44. Activation Codes 🔥💚🔥 on July 7, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Ashville is NC’s Portland, so be aware of that. A leftist thinking town that gave money to domestic terrorist group BLM.

45. Julie H on July 7, 2022 at 11:31 pm

Almost 100k!! Other viewers: watch the whole ad (don’t skip), like/subscribe, share video link on social media or with friends. It all helps support Jim. 👍

46. Never Winter Farms on July 7, 2022 at 11:31 pm

@HortTube Can you clarify mulching in your Encore Azalea videos.

You place the root ball 1-2" above the soil and mulch up to the lip of the root ball. Do you then leave the root ball exposed or do you add a light layer on top but keeping the mulch away from touching the stem?

Cheers, and good luck getting to 100k subscribers.

47. Jean T. O’M on July 7, 2022 at 11:33 pm

I think you are absolutely correct, Jim, that diversity of plant materials keeps the landscape healthy. Natives are great and I plant a ton of them, but the non-natives give the pollinators other things to visit that bloom at slightly different times and keeps the cycle going every day of the year. And they keep the garden interesting since there are SO many options and every gardener will pick the ones that most closely fits their aesthetic and site.

48. Larry Olson on July 7, 2022 at 11:36 pm

I’ve buried the roots of my water oaks and they did nothing but thrive!

49. L Past on July 7, 2022 at 11:36 pm

Hi Jim! I am wondering your thoughts on planting in the Fall. I am planning to plant a row of Hicks Yew in zone 6b. Looking to plant the first/second week in Fall. Should I do anything extra to help them get established with a fall planting? Thanks!

50. Julie H on July 7, 2022 at 11:37 pm