Gardening, Agriculture and Herbalism (5th Skills Analysis!)

Gardening, Agriculture and Herbalism (5th Skills Analysis!)

How good are gardening, agriculture and herbalism? It’s time to find out!

The base skill of gardening is a common 5th skill which can be found on survivors at random or taught from a skill book. When maxed out, you may choose between agriculture and herbalism as advanced skills.

These skills are focused on improving the 3 farming facilities: the farm, the garden, and the hydroponics.

But is that going to cut it for your community? That is the question.

Like this video if it was interesting or entertaining!
Subscribe for future State of Decay 2 content!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/GitGudFox
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Git-Gud-Fox-248693659031343/?ref=bookmarks
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gitgudfox/

1. RufescentEAGLE on July 7, 2022 at 10:38 pm

Hydroponics for life

2. Liam Featherstone on July 7, 2022 at 10:39 pm

How to unlock 6 outposts can only ever get to 5 haha not loaded the game in a long time but really getting back into it

3. T'was an old username and I'll change it soon. on July 7, 2022 at 10:43 pm

So basically food production is only vital if you have a lot of people. If not, you should just use a hydroponics.

4. Jane Frankie on July 7, 2022 at 10:43 pm

It also really helps if you have a survivor with the Fishing (+2 Food per Day) or Lichenology (+2 Meds per Day) skills.

5. Vic 2.0 on July 7, 2022 at 10:44 pm

I’m probably pretty strange on this one. I agree that Agriculture is better than Herbalism but I prefer the hydroponics. It’s just really nice to know that I can build it either indoors or outdoors and also, though I know this shouldn’t be a priority, I just like the way it looks!

6. Joe Davis on July 7, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Very good info. I’m currently at the brewery and food production is a must. Takes a few days to get your compost bins, then your set. I do 3 hydroponics. 2 food, 1 meds. I need my large spot for my depot. Ty for the video.

7. Frank White on July 7, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Have you done a facility mod breakdown?

8. Brash Smurf on July 7, 2022 at 10:50 pm

as long as you get +1 food a day you are fine. it means all your survivors can get enough to eat. anything more than that really isn’t needed even in long term gameplay

9. Dave for President on July 7, 2022 at 10:50 pm

My base should be producing 13 after the survivors food cost however its only producing 5 a day any advice?

10. Anticip8d The Gamer on July 7, 2022 at 10:51 pm

You’re the lead YouTuber for SOD2 survivor skills optimization. Love the vids Fox. Keep em coming. What about the driving skill fully upgraded? Never had the opportunity to max it out to see what it does

11. Aeon Shinta on July 7, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Where auto mechanics and engineering?

12. Bearded Weirdo on July 7, 2022 at 10:53 pm

If you have a self sufficient community where you’re getting equal or excess resources daily then what is there to actually keep you playing?? I ask because I’m in that boat & find myself unsure of what to do to pass time

13. Joshua Cabral on July 7, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Does the food count on this vid still applies on Lethal Zone? I’m on the brewing company to farm influence like you showed on your video but I’m getting my ass kicked pretty much coz of the sieges. I was thinking on going for 3 Hydroponics and scratch the farm. I’ll build a sniper tower.

Any tips to survive long on lethal zone?

14. MOTAGORO on July 7, 2022 at 10:56 pm

Awesome. I hope we get news about the upcoming map soon.

15. Brian Alvarado on July 7, 2022 at 10:57 pm

Can you make a video of the Red Talon skills? Please

16. f o on July 7, 2022 at 10:58 pm

I have tow large farms level 2 and a food outpost one of my people give me 1 food , my base don’t lose food but it get 1 , hh

17. TheLetterPurple on July 7, 2022 at 10:58 pm

If you have a survivor with fishing you get another +2

18. Almir Celikovic on July 7, 2022 at 10:59 pm

When you put the compost bin into a facility with herbs it doesnt give you anything. Besides this your great!!

19. Lieutenant Bort on July 7, 2022 at 11:00 pm

All your SOD 2 videos are really awesome. Nice job and thanks for the info

20. Battle Baz Online on July 7, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Thumbs up again

21. M. D.R. on July 7, 2022 at 11:02 pm

This base is in which map?

22. Nathan Young on July 7, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Finally playing this game, I’m really enjoying it. Lots of little things to find and discover.
    With food and medicine, very good for covering the cost of training. Using the fighting gym you can get all your community max fighting and max cardio (warlord required for cardio) but this will pretty much cover all the training costs for your whole community.

23. Voodoo Roll on July 7, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Again your vids save so mich time and resources. So is hydroponics the best food source or a farm?

24. Toxic Waste on July 7, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Love your work mate. A bit of criticism about this video. You started strong and give us grate explanation what you get on each level of your farm development. But your conclusion was bit all aver the place. I believe you should have pointed exact way of how to get maximum yield from each plot (including what skills you need to level to get there), like how get best medicine yield. also you could have shown Gardening/Agriculture/Herbalism skill cards like you did in other skill based videos (makes it much more easy to understand for new players). Thanx for putting your time for making this amazing guides.

25. Kemuell_Mabuen on July 7, 2022 at 11:08 pm

I agree that agriculture is better.
    Will you be going over the special 5th skills as well (or at the least the special skills you can buy to teach skills like Fishing, Lichenology, Driving, etc.)?

I ask because one of those skills (hint, gives meds per day) ALSO gives Herbalism unlike its food counter part which doesn’t give Agriculture.

oh an another note not related to the video. I just realized the other day when I started a new community and got into the brewery home base that if you have completed the friendly enclave project to help build a still you get more than just a radio call for food and some other items. They also give Knowledge of Alcoholic Beverages. This allows you to get an extra bonus item from making the craft beer or whisky items. I tested this with an existing community as well because now I’m thinking, "why didn’t I notice this before?" so I created a Still at the one I have set at Whitney Field with the Trader hero. The level 2 still allows me to craft the trade items that require Jugs of Ethanol and also gave me the bonus item. So it’s not a lucky glitch! It’s legit.

26. Ethan Ludwig on July 7, 2022 at 11:14 pm

You sure do have the face for radio fox

27. Ash S on July 7, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Keep up the good work. You put a lot of effort into your videos and it doesn’t go unnoticed.

28. Sans on July 7, 2022 at 11:16 pm

Could we become friend on Xbox ?

29. jesse baker on July 7, 2022 at 11:16 pm

Whats convice u get the test mod then BAM food forever

30. Adam Beltran on July 7, 2022 at 11:22 pm

Thanks for this! What was the outro song?

31. Drakard Mexigun on July 7, 2022 at 11:23 pm

When the expensive skill books came out I built three super communities with the aim of farming influence. One community focuses on overproducing meds so that they can farm plague samples from plague hearts. I was very interested to see if I wasn’t already producing the bulk plague cures in the most efficient way. One base focuses on overproducing food and cooking up whiskey. The final base produces thousands of tool parts. The tool parts method is the most efficient, but also the most tedeous because of the payout for the stack size. The whiskey is bottle necked by the still’s timers. The most sustainable was the base that farmed plague zombies and overproduced meds. However, that base runs on 5 Red talon operatives. The other 4 civilians are there to promote to leader, plant their respective large facilities, and then to exile. This way I have an armory, trade depot, and a sniper tower at the same time. I just have to make sure to recruit and hero the right type of citizens each time before I flip the map. Finally, I hit all the weapons cases each time I hit a new map and outfit my other two enclaves and my friends with the rare weapons and skill books. Runnin out of things to do in this game though tbh.

32. NightMonkey on July 7, 2022 at 11:24 pm

Can you build a level 3 farm with foraging?

33. Git Gud Fox on July 7, 2022 at 11:25 pm

Despite its short length, this video took a long time to make!

34. Patato Pc on July 7, 2022 at 11:26 pm

What’s up

35. Lustreaux on July 7, 2022 at 11:26 pm

hey fox would u ever consider redoing these videos with the context of the lethal zone and outpost updates?

36. Master Nigga on July 7, 2022 at 11:26 pm

I noticed there was a plus one food to the production. Do u get it from agriculture

37. Jean-Sébastien Savard on July 7, 2022 at 11:28 pm

Mr. Fox,

The pletora of information, your (kind of) "scientific" methode of explaining and the lack of dick swinging in your videos are quite appreciated.

I suspect nobody cares about what i am going to say, but i’m gonna say it anyway.

I play video games to relax and i tend to gravitate around hard modes or technical/complex games because i enjoy the challenge and i like to feel good about it. Games like SoD 2 feel like life and death decision making. But to make informed decisions, you need knowledge.

There are two ways to acquire knowledge:
    1. The hard way, from trial and error/luck.
    2. The easy-ish way, from learning with someone else.

Since i play to relax, a channel like yours and youtubers with your philosophy are invaluable to me. You sir, are the kind of person that allow me to reach a decent level of knowledge while skipping the potentially high level of regrets that come from trial and error.

I also appreciate the time you save me by testing the stuff and crunching the numbers, therefore delivering a perfectly cooked pre-chewed meal straight to my beak.

Thank you for your time Mr. Fox. You make me appreciate SoD 2 and YouTube a little more for that.

38. Wilson Fisk on July 7, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Agriculture over herbalism 😎

39. GOLDBERG 482 on July 7, 2022 at 11:31 pm

Always love your videos. SoD is my favorite game. Keep up the great work.

40. True Iron Leg on July 7, 2022 at 11:32 pm

Awesome videos where do you find a utility book or the skill?

41. Grease Monkey on July 7, 2022 at 11:33 pm

I like to use two hydroponics, one for food and meds both with compost bin mod.

42. Joseph Moon on July 7, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Epic

43. bilwo billly on July 7, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Great video!

44. MrStainless001 on July 7, 2022 at 11:34 pm

Great video man! Keep these super helpful info vids coming!

45. Joseph Moon on July 7, 2022 at 11:37 pm

Will you go over read talon 5th skill also?