How to Replace a Garden Tool Handle

How to Replace a Garden Tool Handle

Garden fork or spade handles can be easily replaced when they break. During this video, Steve encourages you to repair your damaged garden tools and demonstrates how to easily replace a garden fork or spade handle.

HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT US?
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
This is how we make our living and it would be a pleasure if you support us!
Get our Merchandise from https://bit.ly/3dFQxHV

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/iCultivate
Newsletter: https://bit.ly/3g2dt5O

PODCAST
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Podcast: https://icultivate.podbean.com/

1. Paul Hadfield on July 13, 2022 at 10:54 pm

the hard part is getting the old rivet out, id put the implementin a bonfire to get the wood out fo the implement, but cutting out or drillingout the rivet is the wirst part

2. Joel Wetzel on July 13, 2022 at 10:55 pm

My garden fork isn’t like yours; mine has a tang that’s rectangular in cross section and tapered when viewed from above. I don’t even know what keeps it in the handle should I manage such a mortise because the ferule and tang don’t have holes that indicate some thru bolt or rivet ever secured them. Any suggestions for such a late-arriving question?

3. Sean Moylan on July 13, 2022 at 10:57 pm

removing the old piece from the fork/spade is the difficult job & you didn’t even show how you did it..!!!

4. Togidubnus on July 13, 2022 at 10:58 pm

Hmm. All self-evident, teaches not very much. The stump of the old handle is easy to burn out by placing it in a bonfire. Remove the old rivet with an angle grinder. Do "not" replace the rivet with a bolt, you will shred your hands when you use it.

5. Gappy Pirate on July 13, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Nice video thanks I have a collection of broken spades, rakes, forks etc I collected over the years thinking one day I will fix that. I think that day might be tomorrow!

6. Fensterfarm Greenhouse on July 13, 2022 at 11:01 pm

Great tips my friend!
    Chuck

7. bottledo1 on July 13, 2022 at 11:04 pm

very simple to remove just put in fire and within a few minutes it’s done

8. Patriotic Saint on July 13, 2022 at 11:07 pm

One surefire way to remove a handle is to put the entire thing in a fire… then all ya need to do is grind off the pin – or whatever is originally used by the factory to secure it to the handle.

9. jim Lofts on July 13, 2022 at 11:08 pm

try putting a bit of ranex on the metal fork – it will convert all the rust to Ferrous Phosphate (black) and stop the rust

10. iCultivate on July 13, 2022 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for watching everyone. Please don’t forget to click the subscribe button if you enjoyed the video.
    Share the clip around with family & friends if you think they’ll enjoy it too. 🌱
    Have a great day. 😊

11. オフォードアンドリュー on July 13, 2022 at 11:09 pm
  12. Teagan and Hopperoni on July 13, 2022 at 11:09 pm

As another suggestion, I’ve used a flat wood bit set to get the old wooden handle out.

13. Debra Chase on July 13, 2022 at 11:10 pm

I love the bit about straightening the tines. That will be very handy. Thank-you.

14. little red hen on July 13, 2022 at 11:11 pm

I have a broken garden rake but the part that goes into the handle is just round.

15. Romelia Polly on July 13, 2022 at 11:12 pm

Woodprix has a very large project base.

16. Charles Roberts on July 13, 2022 at 11:13 pm

I like to fix stuff too I burned wood out with a torch already

17. Simon Spoor on July 13, 2022 at 11:13 pm

Rather than using a chisel or drill to remove old handle, an easier way is to put a blow torch on the metal and burn the wood till it drops out. 🙂

18. rmce1234 on July 13, 2022 at 11:14 pm

I have a stainless fork with a wooden handle. I tried a chisel and a drill, both of which broke. So I resorted to pouring some bbq lighting fluid in it and now have a delightful garden candle for an hour or so!

19. Charles Roberts on July 13, 2022 at 11:18 pm

I like to fix stuff too I just replaced the handle on a 15 lb sledge for my son now I had to order a garden fork handle for his garden fork and I’ll replace that

20. Jaerock Chalk on July 13, 2022 at 11:18 pm

thanks !

21. Calum Davidson on July 13, 2022 at 11:20 pm

You will rip your hands on the heads of those bolts. use a rivet, a mild steel nail makes a passable rivet. As for puting an implement into a fire to burn old handle out as sugested below. Ive seen a good number of tools wasted by doing this as it can (not always) alter the structure of the metal. But iCultivate is right repair your tools, not least because it is hard to buy tools of the same quality as the old ones

22. Charles Roberts on July 13, 2022 at 11:23 pm

One time I burned the handle out

23. Izby on July 13, 2022 at 11:24 pm

Where did you buy your handle?

24. Hugh Suffolk on July 13, 2022 at 11:26 pm

The handles come with only a basic taper which will not fit your particular fork or spade.The hard part is shaping the end of the new handle so that it fits into the implement but this is not shown. The video makes it look too easy and only shows the final and easiest part of fitting a handle.

25. Essie Lowe on July 13, 2022 at 11:28 pm

Brilliant

26. bomaite1 on July 13, 2022 at 11:28 pm

While you are at it, put some linseed oil on that old handle after you have run some sandpaper over it.

27. Bill Green on July 13, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Good video. Try this for removing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTSrB0qrpic

28. JD Day on July 13, 2022 at 11:33 pm

burn it out..

29. Gary Gorsuch on July 13, 2022 at 11:35 pm

Great video. I decided to burn the timber out of the handle in a fire. After 20 ‘ in coals the sooty ash fell out.

30. UK Tony on July 13, 2022 at 11:36 pm

Good advice, lots of tools have many years left in them but are not repaired which is criminal. Old tools are often far better quality than cheap new ones.

31. Adrian Carter on July 13, 2022 at 11:37 pm

Easiest way to remove the broken part inside is to burn it out build a fire around fork or spade and you will be left with charcoal just bang it out .

32. Alex Szumikowski on July 13, 2022 at 11:39 pm

Glad I found this helpful video. I’m terrible with tools. I bought several about 15 years ago and by now all the metal parts have come off. The metal parts are perfectly good and still useable so I hate to throw them away and am glad to know they can be fixed. I’ll sand all the wooden handles and put some linseedoil on them, and take better care of them so I don’t have to do this again..

33. K. Cavan on July 13, 2022 at 11:39 pm

My tip is, if you have to drill out a fork handle & you usually do, ram the fork tines into the ground, it holds it in position perfectly, as you drill it out.

34. David Gordon on July 13, 2022 at 11:40 pm

Where did you purchase the handle? I’m not able to find any.

35. James Pritchard on July 13, 2022 at 11:42 pm

I agree with repairing old tools.
    When repairing at least s digging fork make sure the transition between wood and metal is smooth or youu will cut your hand to pieces when digging. Be careful of bolt and screws for this reason, old rivets were the best as they were smoothed over. Modern tools are expensive and awful.

36. CosmicBrambleclawV2 on July 13, 2022 at 11:42 pm

Very helpful video 😀

I’m one of those rare few of my generation that believes in fixing things rather than replacing them, I’ve got several shovel heads and other tools that need re-handling and just salvaged some garden hand tools from my neighbor’s scrap pile earlier (gonna fix em up as a gift)

37. Stephen Bevan on July 13, 2022 at 11:45 pm

Put your fork in fire to burn the wood first hope this will help

38. 899800801 on July 13, 2022 at 11:47 pm

By far the best way to remove the old wood, hammer in a length of threaded bar to the old wood and apply heat to the socket/ collar until the wood is well "SSSSSMOKIN" . I use 12 inches of 8mm bar and heat the collar of the spade head in the flame of a gas BBQ as don’t possess a blow torch. Clamp some mole grips to the bar and with your boot on the spade simply tap out with hammer. Tried drilling first and what a palaver.

39. David Chadwick on July 13, 2022 at 11:47 pm

No mention of how to remove the old handle stub, or shape the new handle. Utterly useless video. I burn the old stub out in an open fire and use an electric plane and engineers blue to reshape the new handle

40. totallyfrozen on July 13, 2022 at 11:51 pm

After removing any rivets, nails, or screws securing the tool head to the handle, screw in a thick eye bolt (you may need to drill a pilot hole) so you have a place to secure a grip (with hand, rope, or chain). Then if you heat the metal collar with a blow torch, the metal will expand and you should be able to pull the two pieces (the tool head and the handle) apart.