Why Your Fruit Trees are Growing Slow (And 4 EASY Steps To Fix It!)

Why Your Fruit Trees are Growing Slow (And 4 EASY Steps To Fix It!)

Today I share the four steps you need to take right now to speed up fruit tree growth! If you want make fruit trees fruit fast, this is how.

David’s Gardening Books: https://amzn.to/2pVbyro

Compost Your Enemies t-shirts: https://www.aardvarktees.com/products/compost-your-enemies

David The Good Tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWLUc97nUjo-OjUgyPZKxBQ

Subscribe to the newsletter: https://thesurvivalgardener.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=d1c57e318ab24156698c41249&id=1f74a21dc8

“How fast do fruit trees bear?” I get that question moderately often, and the answer is “it varies!” Some trees fruit faster than others, depending on species, climate, location, etc., However – if you follow the steps in this video, it will make fruit trees bear fruit much faster, no matter what type they are.

1. Gardening Barefoot Tina on July 14, 2022 at 11:17 pm

Wonderful David, I have clay soil, but I’ve been doing the mulch and fertiliser and now after 10 years, I have Mandarins, yay. Thanks

2. Hogue on July 14, 2022 at 11:18 pm

Why do people throw mulch piles on the grass and then move them to where they are going to go? Put tha damn mulch on the 4 foot crater and be done. 🙂

3. maplegingko on July 14, 2022 at 11:19 pm

I would put cardboard around the tree. Plus wood chips.

4. Buckaroo Bonzai on July 14, 2022 at 11:19 pm

I instead cut the grass and then cover the grass with severed grass. I hadn’t thought of just using a shovel. I’ve been using a scythe.

5. Grant Perkins on July 14, 2022 at 11:19 pm

That was a bit silly not cleaning around the trees … but good advice 🙂

6. k Linkowski on July 14, 2022 at 11:20 pm

I’m going to presume that this would apply to blueberry shrubs. Ugh I have five in the grass. Ugh. ( Thanks though)

7. Dean Simmons on July 14, 2022 at 11:20 pm

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with all of us brother David. 😊🌎✨

8. Ed Sutton on July 14, 2022 at 11:21 pm

Why not put down cardboard and wood chips ?

9. Kenshin Himura on July 14, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Put those trees in a greenhouse and feed them Masterblend tomato formula along with calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate. My orange and lemon trees are growing like crazy. I say greenhouse to protect small trees from the rain and strong winds. Masterblend will make your tree grow like it’s on steroids and give you tons of blooms. It can revive a sickly plant. It has all the micro and macro nutrients a plant needs. I also use monosilicic acid for strong stems and cell walls. Alchemist brand is the best for the money. Mills vitalize is WAY too expensive and it’s the exact same stuff. All the other silica brands use an inferior version that’s not plant available. Even if you have some fruit trees growing outside you should try the Masterblend fertilizer. Water your trees once a week with Masterblend and Calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate. Your trees will thank you for the treat and look amazing when the new growth comes out.

You could use only the masterblend or just use it as a suplement once in awhile to ensure your plants are getting ALL the minerals they need.

Anybody want some jalapeno peppers? I have so many I don’t know what to do with them. I throw them away on a daily basis. Masterblend makes them grow like crazy.

10. Bart Sexton on July 14, 2022 at 11:24 pm

I have three apple trees . This past spring when there where in bloom we has two different late frost . So I coved all three ,took the cover off in morning. Well a moth or so later tow looks like they been sprayed with something and the leaves in spots are dying. I noticed one the little apples have fell off also . I now there’s not been any spray put on them . So what is killing my trees if you know .

11. maplegingko on July 14, 2022 at 11:25 pm

That’s a serious wall!

12. ARYANSES on July 14, 2022 at 11:26 pm

can we use wood chips instead of mulch ?

13. CorwynGC on July 14, 2022 at 11:26 pm

Given the tree in that desert of grass, I’m surprised you don’t inoculate with fungus. My preferred is Wine Caps in the wood chips.

14. Ignatrius Longola on July 14, 2022 at 11:27 pm

How to mulch when termites get into the mulch always?

15. Christian on July 14, 2022 at 11:30 pm

My favourite scripture verse! Thanks bro! Great video!

16. Nancy Malon on July 14, 2022 at 11:30 pm

17. L. on July 14, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Where’d you get that particular wheel hoe?

18. t one on July 14, 2022 at 11:35 pm

Oops do I have grass to remove. _Thanks_

19. J S on July 14, 2022 at 11:35 pm

What is the wheel contraption?

20. J S on July 14, 2022 at 11:36 pm

Why not just put grass clippings down around the tree, less work on the sore back?

21. ukminute man on July 14, 2022 at 11:38 pm

Water ground before lifting grass/weeds will help a lot!

22. Grant Perkins on July 14, 2022 at 11:39 pm

Call me a heathen, but a handful of chemical fertilizer 10 10 10 or whatever in the early stages can help get fruit trees off to a good start ( more important than you might think). … just don’t overdo it … Properly managed, chemical fertilizers are a useful tool to have in your bag. I would love to hear your and others’ opinions of this approach. Some people seem to think that chemical fertilizers are the enemy.

23. The New York Red Neck on July 14, 2022 at 11:40 pm

Idk about that my friend.
    I grow fruit trees in my alfalfa field and they are taking off

24. Lászlo Nèmet on July 14, 2022 at 11:40 pm

And I alwaysthought they need a betonlayer around….
    , besides.., I saw them planting trees(acacia…needle…poplar. .)into well ploughed sand.into the heights of the rows. No water norain for months,burning sun, no care, every layer of former veg transported to the compostindustry.
    .Strong trees!……. Life is life!?

25. Donna Tucker on July 14, 2022 at 11:42 pm

I am in the process of removing grass from all my fruit trees. Fertilizing after grass removal. Mulching with all the dead grass. Watering from my koi pond. Bonus, based on your grocery row gardening video: got 2 canna Lillies on clearance from lowes and planted around my plum tree for future chop and drop. Thank you so much. Ordered 4 of your books from Amazon. Giving back. Have 2 questions. How do you feel about spiderwart and pineapple around fruit trees?

26. ciaran ward on July 14, 2022 at 11:44 pm

Why not put cardboard and mulch on top of the grass? Seems like a lot of unnecessary work removing the sod.

27. Whale Dog on July 14, 2022 at 11:45 pm

Tomorrow I will save my apple tree.. I have been doing everything wrong. seems like the norm.

28. Jen Reelitz on July 14, 2022 at 11:46 pm

Still waiting on that "may your thumbs always be green" T-shirt! You rock! 👌

29. ecetrainer on July 14, 2022 at 11:47 pm

Fertilizer question: can you tell us the recipe or tell us where to buy it? -newbie

Thanks!!!

30. Debra's frugal life on July 14, 2022 at 11:47 pm

Oh that explains my pear tree thanks I’ll be digging up the grass .

31. PETANI LAPOLE CHANEL on July 14, 2022 at 11:47 pm

Mantap bosqu,Sehat & Sukses Selalu🙏🙏🙏

32. Mr Cabasa on July 14, 2022 at 11:48 pm

Just cover the grass and let it die.

33. Jamie Kirk on July 14, 2022 at 11:50 pm

Have you ever put cardboard around the base of the tree to kill the grass? any thoughts?

34. Democrat Pro on July 14, 2022 at 11:52 pm

Didnt Jesus say NOBODY is good?

35. d mark on July 14, 2022 at 11:54 pm

Very good report I see a lot of people mulching around trees.

36. Mr jason on July 14, 2022 at 11:55 pm

Thanks for shareing

37. Christopher Point on July 14, 2022 at 11:56 pm

Thx for this video, and God bless sir.

38. John Rider on July 14, 2022 at 11:57 pm

We have 84 acres. We have 200 fruit trees. 200 asparagus. We planted 6 other types of trees around the farm and fields. 16 thousand of them.

39. J S on July 14, 2022 at 11:57 pm

Will this grass removal help old fruit trees to grow better?

40. Earlybird Farm, SC on July 14, 2022 at 11:58 pm

Great tips!

41. Brian Smythe on July 15, 2022 at 12:02 am

Verry Helpful ,So Ive got some grass too get rid off , Makes sense,Im new too all this cheers

42. Violet on July 15, 2022 at 12:02 am

QUESTION FOR DAVID: where can I buy well made old fashioned tools to garden with? I believe you mentioned it once in one of your many, many podcasts. A big thank you!

43. Ruth Harris on July 15, 2022 at 12:03 am

I’d just cardboard and mulch the tree surrounds with woodchips, save having to scrape the grass away

44. suzi perret on July 15, 2022 at 12:06 am

Good advice! Thanks!

45. Easy Emu on July 15, 2022 at 12:09 am

You’re the best, dude. Thanks so much for making all this info free.

Speaking of mulch, have you had any luck with chip drop?

46. Michael Brown on July 15, 2022 at 12:09 am

Tree roots are not surface roots. This makes zero sense to dig up grass. You can mulch but seriously the grass is not the issue. The true is not going deep enough nor is the "dirt" healthy as the soil already has all it needs but without the life to process it then the tree will struggle.

47. lou e on July 15, 2022 at 12:10 am

Just be careful if you get wood chips from the city or county. They spray the roadsides before they cut them around me. I asked why and they said it makes cutting them down easier. This is also mixed in the county’s compost. Just beware and ask before you use.

48. Greg Norsworthy on July 15, 2022 at 12:11 am

Have you noticed any detrimental effects using pine waste as the chop and drop mulch?

49. Rose R on July 15, 2022 at 12:11 am

Where did you get the wheel hoe? Locally they look pretty cheap.

50. Aliya Galim on July 15, 2022 at 12:16 am

You can lay carton sheets around the tree and let that grass die as well. And then add mulh on topm would that be better for tree?