Companion Plants for Peppers – Pepper Geek

Companion Plants for Peppers – Pepper Geek

Get our eBook, Growing Perfect Peppers!

Join Patreon:

In this video, we are talking all about companion plants for peppers. Each of these plants has some sort of benefit for a vegetable garden. Keep in mind, companion plants won’t make problems disappear, but can usually help in one way or another.

The plants we talk about are some that we have found useful throughout our years of growing peppers, but there are MANY more options depending on your climate and specific gardening needs.

**************************************
Seeds (affiliate links):

Flowers:

Chives:

Seed garlic:

Corn:

Sunflowers:

Tomatoes:

Herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.)

Beans:

Peas:

**************************************
Thanks for watching Pepper Geek!
#peppers #gardening #companion #plants

1. Babsi139 on July 15, 2022 at 11:17 pm

Snails love Marigolds too so they dont last. How to stothate snails eaten the Marigolds?

2. Robert Douglas on July 15, 2022 at 11:20 pm

Proper vernalization can be accomplished by placing the garlic in a refrigerator (as cold as possible) for at least 2 to 3 weeks.

3. Christopher Patton on July 15, 2022 at 11:26 pm

I grew fennel with squash and no issues. It absolutely attracted hordes of pollinators – southern SD.

4. Tony Isaac on July 15, 2022 at 11:26 pm

My peppers do well planted with okra or tomatoes. I add marigolds, Nasturtiums, borage and basil no horn worms

5. moto G4 on July 15, 2022 at 11:26 pm

Mr pepper geek, I grew one year in a bed one fennel with 6 tomato plants & many strawberries at the bottom. The fennel grew very big & annoyingly with many bugs.
    It was about an 8 foot long raised bed by 3 feet wide.
    So from the right going left for about 2/3rds were strawberries. They were literally taking over the bed & gave many strawberries. 6 tomato plants interspaced throughout & the fennel grew on far left front corner. Oh & a few garlics too here & there.
    But from what I saw the fennel really didn’t inhibit the growth of any of the other stuff in the bed at all. This is the first I here of such a phenomena from 👉you.
    But thanks for all your other great info. I’ve been watching all your other very informative videos on hot peppers 👍

6. Doug Flora on July 15, 2022 at 11:27 pm

Speaking of companion plants. I was offered some heirloom cherry tomatoes fresh from the bag at a family get together. I took two and when I got home I removed the seeds and planted them. I planted them in 20 cloth pots I had grown beans in. My plants produced a wide variety of tomatoes and produced an unbelievable amount of these
    heirlooms. lol.

7. Truth Seeker on July 15, 2022 at 11:27 pm

do you guys rotate your pepper planting areas? Ive always rotated but due to unforeseen issues, we had to let our 2nd plot grow over and dont have time to prep it so will have to try the same spot as lat year. I remember my great grandfather has specific spot for specific things and never rotated, but just ammend the soil with compost and winter crops. tia for your thoughts and anyone else thats tried this!✌❤

8. 49spfein.9999 on July 15, 2022 at 11:29 pm

Sunflowers are good at cleaning up the soil, are better food than corn too

9. Kendra Hlobil on July 15, 2022 at 11:31 pm

I have grown a row of parsnips down the center of my pepper bed and they do quite well together. I harvest the parsnips in the fall after a couple of frosts. Its a nice way to sneak a few more of my favorite root veggies into my garden plan.

10. Grime on July 15, 2022 at 11:31 pm

I bought a pepper mix and tried growing them to of no avail, so then a few months later I decided to just grow basil in the same pot since the peppers never seemed to grow, weeks later I notice growing with my basil are the peppers that never seemed to sprout, I was amazed haha! What do you think?

11. Babsi139 on July 15, 2022 at 11:33 pm

I have planted wild garlic (Tulbaghia) as a border around my veggie garden and also acts as barrier to my backyard to keep the small moles out. They flower beautifully in the sun and the leaves and flowers are edible and taste of garlic, just no normal garlic bulbs. They also do well in the heavy heat and waterwise

12. moto G4 on July 15, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Hey I have bought store bought garlic many times & have had great produce from them. They are much cheaper than buying ‘seed garlic’ , it’s the same thing really you just pay more for what they call seed garlic.
    Garlic is garlic. Obviously there are different strains, strengths & tastes. But it’s not like one will work & the other won’t. They all grow.

13. Campbell’s Freedom Farm on July 15, 2022 at 11:34 pm

Love your video. I just did a video if you click the link of the dog on fennel and its affects on plants Sabrina from Campbell’s freedom farm

14. Nicolas Bertin on July 15, 2022 at 11:35 pm

Modern science is telling us that insects do not (like, ever) attack your plant unless your plant is in bad shape. And what’s fascinating, is that depending on how bad your plant is, it attracts different insects. If you got aphids attacking a mature pepper plant, it’s one of the worst shapes your plant can be in, and it’s usually due to too much fertilizing. If it’s aphids on a potted pepper, it’s easily reparable. But on a plant in the ground ? You’re clearly doing something bad. Any sucking insect on your plants means you’re not growing them properly. If you got insects eating the leaves, like grasshoppers, it’s not as serious, you almost got a healthy plant. I invite you to check Dr. Thomas Dykstra’s research on the subject, there’s a great conference on the Advancing Eco Agriculture youtube channel. And it makes sense, if insects were eating healthy plants, there’d be no more plants… Evolution stirred insects towards the path of being beneficial to the ecosystem : they will eat the weak, the decaying, or the dead plants, strengthening the system. All that to say that sacrificial plants, or plants that repel bugs are useless. If your plant is weak, it’ll be attacked, if it’s healthy it will not. That’s it. The reason is simple : healthy leaves and fruits have complex sugars that insects can’t process. The drawback is, if insects can’t eat it, mammals and birds can. So deer, crows, or pigeons, will prefer healthy plants and then there’s no choice but to have physical barriers, OR sacrificial plants that can work in that case.

15. Lauren Burke on July 15, 2022 at 11:36 pm

Thanks for your video. I want to put creeping lemon thyme in the same pot with my bell pepper as a companion plant. However I know that most herbs, including thyme, do not like a lot of water and can cause root rot. On the other hand, bell peppers love to keep a moist soil. Can these two plants thrive in the same large container pot??

16. Jay Jay on July 15, 2022 at 11:37 pm

I started growing this year for the first time. Followed all your info and having an amazing experience so far. 2 months into my growing time and still going strong. From UK Manchester

17. Matt on July 15, 2022 at 11:37 pm

Fennel is gross so no problems here

18. ajtexas0 on July 15, 2022 at 11:38 pm

I have a fennel plant next to a sweet red pepper plant. No problem with it. Last year I had a jalapeño pepper plant next to the fennel had a large harvest of jalapeño peppers. I think fennel has a bad rap!

19. mcraw4d on July 15, 2022 at 11:38 pm

If you have issues with Leaf-footed bugs causing piercing damage, planting Mammoth sunflowers away from you’re desired crop is beneficial. I plant them along the edges of my garden a which makes them easier to manage since they are “coming to you” vs. being all of the place.

20. KatherineRAnderson on July 15, 2022 at 11:38 pm

This is the best little YouTube channel I’ve found in a long time!

21. Truth Seeker on July 15, 2022 at 11:38 pm

wonder if growing finnel in containers would stop the negative effects?
    Ive always grown my herbs in pots to move them around in inside if needed anyways. may try this around a few to see if I can still get any benefits

22. Dez L on July 15, 2022 at 11:40 pm

Um. Beans dont add nitrogen from air.. the peas hace to die for it to make any nitrogen available to ur plants so it wouldnt be available till next season

23. George Mockewich on July 15, 2022 at 11:40 pm

Aren’t chives, like other Allium, biennial? I’m in 5B, close to your climate, and that’s what I have.

24. Susan K on July 15, 2022 at 11:41 pm

I’m learning a lot from your channel! I’m going to try fermenting peppers for hot sauce this year using your fermented pepper video as a guide! YUM! Thank you so much!

25. James Knueppel on July 15, 2022 at 11:41 pm

Not all garlic requires a cold season to bulb. Check the types before buying to find what works in your area. Hardneck does require a cold spell so good for northern climates and Softneck does not require a cold spell so perfect for those in warmer climates.

26. Hazel Brungard on July 15, 2022 at 11:42 pm

If you buy garlic with the roots cut off. It was grown in 🇨🇳 China. American grown has the bottom roots left on.

27. K Fox on July 15, 2022 at 11:44 pm

Yo my knowledge, Nitrogen fixers should not be allowed to flower because they use the stored nitrogen. The roots need to breakdown to release the nitrogen into the soil.

28. SouthWindStationUrbanhomestead on July 15, 2022 at 11:45 pm

Your comment about store bought garlic is hokum. Organic garlic works fine. I use it every year. If you harvest sunflower heads, they wont reseed. White radishes, dill and peppermint has helped greatly w cabbage moths in my experience.

29. Twinfin on July 15, 2022 at 11:45 pm

Fennel green is loved by swallowtail caterpillar. They eat that first then move to dill or parsley. I’ve planted a separate pot for them every year but never grew it for myself. I’m glad to know mine will have to be planted separate as well. Lol. Ive only used fennel seed so I don’t even know what to do with it if it does grow and not get eaten by caterpillars. The green tastes good. But I don’t know what to do with the bulb.

30. Sledgerend on July 15, 2022 at 11:45 pm

Is this a new camera? Looks really clean

31. Sandra Fishman on July 15, 2022 at 11:50 pm

I have grown carrots with my peppers as often as I can. Haven’t noticed any drawbacks.

32. Life is messy but I’m Learning as I grow! on July 15, 2022 at 11:51 pm

Thank you for sharing this video. I’m a YouTube gardener too trying to learn as much as I can about companion planting. That’s how I found your channel. Im so happy I did because you have so much to offer. I hope we can learn from each other as we grow our gardens and our channels! Happy Planting!

33. Terry Coyne on July 15, 2022 at 11:52 pm

Is there a way to use companion plants when just using containers?

34. Kamrat on July 15, 2022 at 11:53 pm

Doesn’t legumes add nitrogen to the soil after the plant has died? So it’s not going to fertilize the pepper plants just by growing next to them, but it can help enrich the soil for subsequent growing seasons from what I understand.

35. Mary Tepp on July 15, 2022 at 11:53 pm

I have had good luck planting dill, basil, carrots, Bush beans, snap peas, and bunching onions around my tomatoes and peppers.

36. A Greener Me on July 15, 2022 at 11:59 pm

I like growing mint around my peppers…

37. U. on July 15, 2022 at 11:59 pm

A lot of store bought garlic sprouted and instead of throwing I planted them in the fall. Wonder what type of disease do these bring?

38. Matthew Darling on July 16, 2022 at 12:01 am

I don’t know how native plants weren’t mentioned in attracting beneficial insects! What do you think will draw these *native* pollinators the most??

Bonesets (Eupatorium spp.), Flowering Spurge, native mints (Pycnanthemum spp.) are great places to start when companion planting to draw beneficial, predatory insects.

39. Tom Riley on July 16, 2022 at 12:02 am

Re Fennel being too aggressive: I’ve had a lot of success putting Fennel in the same planter as Lemon Balm (or Mint), they did not seem to affect each other. It works well because fennel grows so big/tall it blocks light when used with other herbs that like full sun, but Lemon Balm is just as happy lower down in shade/semi-shade. Also I’ve actually had aphids attack my fennel but they won’t go near the Lemon Balm. Not sure if that’s a great test of Fennel’s aggressiveness though, Lemon Balm seems to thrive in basically any conditions you throw at it.

40. Lost Gaming on July 16, 2022 at 12:02 am

Can I use these peppers/companion plants to grow in Arizona zone 9a? I really want to start!

41. Simple Truth on July 16, 2022 at 12:03 am

I have tons of sweet fennel I cut down every year. Unfortunately, it does affect my tomatoes and peppers, but had no effect on cucumbers, squash, zucchini, pumpkin, eggplant, radishes, lettuce and potatoes. That’s all I have planted next to or close to fennel. The tomatoes and peppers fail to grow as normally do. They grow very slow with fennel and hardly produce anything at all.

42. Mar Schlosser on July 16, 2022 at 12:04 am

We grew fennel in large pots with other plants, and within a month or so, all the plants but fennel were dead.

43. Cheryll Waldrop on July 16, 2022 at 12:07 am

I’ve been hearing a lot about planting self seeding companion plants/ living mulch that will come back every year, but also that crop rotation is important. How can a plant benefit from its companion plant reseeding itself if you shouldn’t plant the same crop there the next year anyway?

44. kie mc on July 16, 2022 at 12:08 am

If it’s true about fennel, then I need to plant it all around my yard to get rid of the weeds. LOL

45. Anne Pace on July 16, 2022 at 12:12 am

I planted rosemary with my peppers this year. No rhyme or reason other than both being perennial here. The next day I had ladybugs on my rosemary. They have stayed for two weeks, so we named them Rosie and José. The following week my tomatoes had aphids, but none on the peppers. Thank you Rosie and José!

46. Coyotelover100 on July 16, 2022 at 12:12 am

I’m testing carrots with peppers…will let u know

47. Aaron Down on July 16, 2022 at 12:13 am

I would get your book if you had a fiscal version

48. Robyn Shrubb on July 16, 2022 at 12:14 am

I’ve always felt peppers and tomatoes don’t grow well together because they are both nitrogen pigs. I separate them in the garden!

49. OUR GEORGIA SUBURBAN HOMESTEAD on July 16, 2022 at 12:14 am

I made the mistake of planting fennel between the horseradish and a berry bush. It has killed both. That is saying something if you know the habits of horseradish. I’d yank the fennel out (it goes to 6 or 7 feet tall each year) but our honeybees LOVE it… i mean LOVE IT! So, there it stays.

50. John Mitchell on July 16, 2022 at 12:16 am

tons of great info, thanks! I adore our Chili Pequin plants and want to help them