21 Herbs and Spices You Should ALWAYS Grow

21 Herbs and Spices You Should ALWAYS Grow

In this video, I give you my best 21 herbs and spices that I recommend you should always grow in your home garden.

Go here to get Birdies Raised Garden beds (featured in the video) in the USA: https://shop.epicgardening.com/ and use SSME2020 for a 5% discount.

In Australia, go to https://birdiesgardenproducts.com.au/ and use Code SSMEbird for a 5% discount. In New Zealand, go to https://birdiesgardenproducts.co.nz/ and use Code ssmebird22 for 5% off your first purchase.

Plant Doctor Fertiliser: Go to https://www.plantdoctor.com.au/ and use SSM20 = “One-time” use code offering 20% off products (not shipping). Next time you shop use SSM10 = 10% off products (not shipping).

Harvest Right freeze dryer website: https://affiliates.harvestright.com/1099.html

Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/selfsufficientme (the top tier $25 AU enables mentoring from yours truly via an exclusive VIP email where I will answer your questions etc ASAP).

Hoselink Garden Products such as hose reels go here https://l.linklyhq.com/l/5uZu and you will automatically get a 10% discount on checkout!

My second channel Self Sufficient Me 2: https://bit.ly/331edDu
New (third) Channel: Self Suffishing Me https://bit.ly/2LiIWqt

Help support the Channel and buy a T-shirt/Merchandise from our Spreadshirt shop: https://bit.ly/3lmqMkr or Teespring https://bit.ly/3neEYO8

Shop for plants or garden equipment on eBay Australia: https://bit.ly/2BPCykb

Blog: http://www.selfsufficientme.com/ (use the search bar on my website to find info on certain subjects or gardening ideas)

Forum: http://www.selfsufficientculture.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/self_sufficient_me

Facebook: https://bit.ly/2Zi5kDv

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SufficientMe

Subscribe to my channel: http://goo.gl/cpbojR

Self Sufficient Me is based on our small 3-acre property/homestead in SE Queensland Australia about 45kms north of Brisbane – the climate is subtropical (similar to Florida). I started Self Sufficient Me in 2011 as a blog website project where I document and write about backyard food growing, self-sufficiency, and urban farming in general. I love sharing my foodie and DIY adventures online so come along with me and let’s get into it! Cheers, Mark πŸ™‚

*Disclaimer: Some links to products in this description and comments sections are affiliated, meaning, I receive a small commission if you follow these links and then purchase an item. I will always declare in a video if the video is sponsored and so far since starting my channel in 2011, I am yet to do a sponsored video.
0:00 Intro
12:54 18. Chilli
13:31 19. Mustard
14:00 20. Fennel
14:31 21. Garlic

#garden #herbs #spices

1. Wazowski on July 16, 2022 at 11:19 pm

According to YouTube closed captions, you’re Mark from salsa fish with me πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

2. Ben Steinwand on July 16, 2022 at 11:19 pm

clicked for the gardening info, stayed for the puns.

3. LYNDIE Malan on July 16, 2022 at 11:20 pm

Hello Mark. I’ve been watching your videos for a long time, but this is the first time I’m commenting. I live on Great Keppel Island – off Rocky – WHEN do you put your sweetcorn seeds in? Is it too early now? – we’ve just had unusual but wonderful winter rain – not too much – no floods here – just lovely gentle drenching rain – about 110mm over two weeks – and the air temps here are about 12 to 19C at present. The soil is very poor – just beach sand really, but I’ve been improving it with seaweed, chook poo, mulches and compost. Still, I really struggle to grow anything edible. Not much water available. Incredibly hot in Summer. Buried tons of old coconuts in my garden. If you email me I can send you photos of my veges – I planted the first lot about 5 years ago into the ground – but they were inundated with tree roots – now plant in retired kayaks and dinghies to try to keep the tree roots out. I’ve been fairly hard at it for a number of years – but other than Tomatoes and Sweet potatoes, not eaten all that much from the garden.

4. Stories from a SuperHost on July 16, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Dill does not grow here well in the Rocky Mtns. I really like sage and missed it if you covered it.. I love cooking with fresh herbs and am getting. better at drying what I am growing for later use. I love your garden Mr!

5. Apteryx 70 on July 16, 2022 at 11:26 pm

I love sweet marjoram in place of oregano, it grows similarly and has a more delicate flavour than oregano.

6. Pat Vanderwolf on July 16, 2022 at 11:27 pm

Thank you Mark, from Bundaberg .. loved this video on herbs. Have a few of them in pots .. lost the basil I planted, but still have sage, oregano, thyme, peppermint and rosemary. Have ginger and garlic in pots also, but they in the very early stages, just babies. The garlic is the small Russian garlic. Thank you for all the info .. 🌻

7. AA Pulley on July 16, 2022 at 11:28 pm

Did you know that mints have many medicinal uses? Peppermint (menthol) is a great antibiotic herb and treats many kinds of infections.

8. gohabs9 on July 16, 2022 at 11:28 pm

i would swap OUT coriander and bring IN summer savoury !!

9. Self Sufficient Me on July 16, 2022 at 11:29 pm

G’day Everyone, I finally got this video done! Thanks for your ongoing support πŸ™‚ Feel free to visit my Website at https://selfsufficientme.com/

10. James Yang on July 16, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Thanks for your recommeding !

11. Tsigereda Endale on July 16, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Thank God about this different herbs what he gave for us! And thank you for your wonderful message. I am trying to plant some herbs at home , my place is v. Small but, I hope I will have enough space for my plants.

12. Michael Hartman on July 16, 2022 at 11:31 pm

Rosemary, or Rosmarinus comes from the Mediterranean Sea. Its salt tolerant waxy leaves can withstand salt spray from the sea. Ros means dew. Marinus, like marine refers to the sea, hence Rosmarinus means dew of the sea.

13. Jasmine Acosta on July 16, 2022 at 11:32 pm

1st time viewer but not last time! So informative but like my dad is teaching me lol

14. Mae G on July 16, 2022 at 11:32 pm

Best jokes on YouTube 🀣

15. GreenEyedLady on July 16, 2022 at 11:34 pm

I’m not a curry fan, so I’d skip the curry tree and grow lovage. it has the flavor of celery, and you can use the leaves, stems, and seeds to add flavor to many dishes. I have preserved it by drying. it dies back in the winter, but pups up again every spring in zone 8. 1 or 2 plants will probably been enough for most families, as it can grief up to 5 feet tall.

16. Cam4 on July 16, 2022 at 11:35 pm

"His mummy used to cook with it", I cracked up laughing

17. wedad abbas on July 16, 2022 at 11:35 pm

Unfortunately all these herbs needs a hot climate and in uk we have a cold climate

18. John Henry Sheridan Music on July 16, 2022 at 11:36 pm

Thanks Mark for another great video!

19. Grey Notes on July 16, 2022 at 11:36 pm

As a South African, I was so happy to hear and see "biltong", but then you dropped the "k" word right after. Dark humour or coincidence? πŸ’€πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦

20. Botanical Sense on July 16, 2022 at 11:41 pm

Ashwagandha benefits

21. Marie's Country Life on July 16, 2022 at 11:42 pm

I like and have most of the herbs in your list πŸ™‚ herbs are great to have!

22. Ghay Jannoo on July 16, 2022 at 11:46 pm

Agree 100%

23. Christopher M Wren on July 16, 2022 at 11:46 pm

My Grandmother was an Indigenous Woman from Cape York and swore that Lemon Grass keeps snakes away….

24. Karen W on July 16, 2022 at 11:46 pm

Hi Mark, new gardener here so I might not have this right, but I understand that in the USA if you use the leaves it’s cilantro and if you use the seeds it’s coriander.

25. Jeremy Denslinger on July 16, 2022 at 11:50 pm

I never knew Coriander and Cilantro were the same thing. I’ve always seen "Cilantro" referring to the leaf, and Coriander referring to the spice. πŸ˜€

26. Blake Robberson on July 16, 2022 at 11:52 pm

Mark! Your dad jokes are on point!

The coriander mummy joke had me laughing out loud, I had to pause the video! Haha thank you for all your knowledge about plants and dad jokes!

27. Safani Ooft on July 16, 2022 at 11:52 pm

Loved it, was watching from French Guyana, i wouldnt remove a single herb!

28. DrIngo1980 on July 16, 2022 at 11:54 pm

Great video. It is a really nice overview of all those spices that can make our daily meals taste so much better or equal to the pricey meals we get when we go and eat out at a restaurant for example. I love spices and spicy food. "The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel." πŸ˜„

Regarding fennel: I love it as tea. Yes, dry the fennel seeds and enjoy a nice hot cuppa. Highly recommend. It’ll calm your nerves, soothe your anxiety and is generally good for your health. It’s a shame I can’t find any fennel tea (or seeds) anywhere here in my little part of Japan where I live. Back in Germany fennel tea is pretty common, here it is on the same list as licorice, an endangered species and nowhere to be found. Let me tell you, Japanese people are really missing out on those two flavours: fennel and licorice. Both are _amazing_!

btw @Self Sufficient Me: while talking about tea, do you grow any camomile? That’s also a great herb to grow for teas.

Speaking of a really rare flavour, have you ever heard of "Waldmeister"? It is a flavour that is very common in sweets in Germany and I have yet to find it in any other country, even though Wikipedia says the plant it is based on grows all over Europe and parts of Asia (including Japan, but it is nowhere to be found here to buy!): Galium odoratum, the sweet woodruff or sweetscented bedstraw (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galium_odoratum ). Anyway, "Waldmeister" is such a German thing that I doubt many people outside of Germany will have ever heard of it or even tasted it. It is an acquired taste. And I love it because I grew up with it. Especially jelly (jell-o for my American friends out there) with Waldmeister flavour and some vanilla sauce to top it off – divine! πŸ˜„

29. radante on July 16, 2022 at 11:55 pm

You should try tarragon. It’s extremely popular in some areas of Europe and the French variety have the best flavor. Not so popular is lovage (Levisticum officinale), but a few green leaves bring an excellent flavor in broths and in some soups, especially beans. Tarragon will grow for sure in your climate, but you can experiment with lovage if you will find a good seed supplier.

30. Erlangga Hadinata on July 16, 2022 at 11:57 pm

5:19 30$?????? Why everything so expensive in other country, it only cost 1$-2$ in indonesia

31. Olga sanchez on July 16, 2022 at 11:57 pm

Thank you I’m slowly getting into gardening and the way you explain everything makes it all less scary

32. Anne Davies on July 16, 2022 at 11:58 pm

Hi I’m from Adelaide just started watching your
    Utube love what you are growing wish I could grow along but beening live in Adelaide not much land

33. Clinton Wright on July 16, 2022 at 11:59 pm

Hi Mark
    Just watched your video of 21 herbs and spices, why don’t you show us videos of what you make with these herbs and spices and share some recipes?
    I was caught by your preserving and making antipasto.
    Cheers
    Clint

34. Eric Gardner on July 16, 2022 at 11:59 pm

I was born and raised in Oregon, and we have a tree native to the West Coast called Myrtle wood. It is a relative of the Bay Leaf, and on hot summer days, when the wind blows just right, the smell from these trees is magical! Now I live in Alaska, and would give my eye teeth to have a Myrtle wood tree in the yard! Bay leaves are ridiculously expensive here!πŸ˜„

35. Nunya Young on July 17, 2022 at 12:00 am

lol love the dad jokes!! Excellent lesson!!

36. Moira D on July 17, 2022 at 12:01 am

Great list! I would add winter savory… it is amazing in stews and a very hardy herb to grow, yet i never hear anyone talking about savory.

37. Dadobawo Mazomba on July 17, 2022 at 12:01 am

You left rocket for me and please remove kafir lemon not a good name in my country πŸ˜β€οΈπŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦

38. Watts_ Art2015 on July 17, 2022 at 12:02 am

I almost spit out my drink when you said you looked like a hobo back then πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ fabulous video! So informative! As always! β€οΈπŸ™

39. Communism-Sucks on July 17, 2022 at 12:06 am

Love your channel! Started my own raised bed garden this spring in California. Have plans to incorporate small growing areas all around my house.

40. Active Domestics Cleaning on July 17, 2022 at 12:08 am

Thank you for all your info and hello from a fellow SE Qlder

41. Spencer Long on July 17, 2022 at 12:08 am

My mum grew up in Boonah in Queensland and every time I hear your voice I think of my Grandad and Grammy and how good they were at storytelling. Listening to you feels like home, so thank you so much for your videos and advice on gardening. I started 6 beds in my yard several months ago, and have come here for your advice.
    Have a good one!

42. Monika Brecht on July 17, 2022 at 12:10 am

I have bought twice 3 months apart Aldi 3 basil pot plants. They have all slowly died after purchasing. Love your YouTube.

43. Sophia Baloun on July 17, 2022 at 12:10 am

Lavender is one of our favorites. It’s about a dollar a stem in the stores because of boutiques and wineries making it seem like a luxury, but one plant goes a long way, and every year increases the yield. We use it in lemon lavender smoothies and some deserts. I think it has the potential to go well with red meats as a part of a glaze. Lavender can also be used in bath products and medicinals.
    Thank you for the fun you add to your videos! We almost don’t need a garden, we could
    just thrive on all your puns and rhymes!
    -Sophia

44. S Mac on July 17, 2022 at 12:12 am

I have to add how important Bay Leaf is not only for flavoring food; but healing your skin and body too. After suffering from a raised rash that a dermatologist didn’t help; I turned to Bay leaf oil. I use cold pressed Laurel (bay) leaf & olive oil soap and apply straight Bay leaf oil to my skin in between showers. Best medicine ever!!

45. Love the garden. Kumari yelineni. on July 17, 2022 at 12:12 am

I liked your motivational videos. Nice sharing friend.

46. William ODell on July 17, 2022 at 12:16 am

Gardening has always been therapeutic for me and it saves a lot of money on food from the market. Another great video Mark thanks, I always learn something new that inspires me to try.

47. Victoria Bishop on July 17, 2022 at 12:17 am

I love nutmeg sooo much, but know nothing about growing it. This was a wonderful video. Thanks again. Alabama Gulf Coast, USA

48. CannaBowler420 on July 17, 2022 at 12:18 am

amazing list my wife has lemon balm in her garden its been super beneficial as the mint that she has maybe it can be prosperous where you are at too

49. Carol Koonce on July 17, 2022 at 12:18 am

My husband is a diabetic, Stevia is supposed to bed sweeter than SUGAR. It has NO CA;ORIES, CHECK IT OUT! sEE YA!
    MY NAME IS CAROL KLOONCE. I LIVE IN WAMEGO, ks. DOROTHY CAME FROIM WAMEGO. IF YOU IN TO THAT BIT A TRIVIA. BYE.

50. sanctus100 on July 17, 2022 at 12:18 am

Wonderful herbs and spices! Unfortunately, some of them donΒ΄t grow in our northern european climate….
    I would add sage and tarragon !