Natural Lighting for Houseplants Tips & Tricks! | Indoor Plant Lighting!

Natural Lighting for Houseplants Tips & Tricks! | Indoor Plant Lighting!

In this video I talk about about natural indoor plant lighting! I discuss how much light indoor plants get from each direction window as well as how to tell what type of sunlight a plant needs. We also go over some signs that your houseplants may be getting too much or not enough sun exposure & what to do in that situation. Natural lighting indoors is so important for plant health, of course there are grow lights that can be introduced into a houseplant jungle if the current lighting isn’t enough, but I definitely prefer sunlight for my plant collection if possible!

✩ SOCIAL MEDIA ✩
@harli_g_

✩ ✩ PLANT PRODUCTS I LOVE!✩ ✩
DISCLAIMER! I am not sponsored by any brands listed below (although I wish I was :P) These are products I genuinely love & use in my own household. I do, however, get a small cut if purchased through the links I provided, but if you choose to purchase not through my links I totally understand. I would never recommend products I don’t genuinely love. Promise!

FAVORITE SOIL PRODUCTS:

Bonide Insecticidal Spray 1qt $12.88

HUMIDITY:

Humidifier I WANT

Humidifier I Have

FILMING EQUIPTMENT I USE:

COOL PLANTY PRODUCTS:

Terrarium Side Table (Gold)

PROPAGATION STATIONS:

Wall Hanging Test Tube Planter $15.99

Glass Planter Bulb Vase w/ Wood Stand $23.99 (3 bulbs)

1. Harley on July 16, 2022 at 11:26 pm

Hey Harli! Don’t know too many others with our name, so that was a cool surprise when clicking on this video 🙂 Anyway, great video and definitely helpful! The only two windows in my apt are south facing so I appreciate you explaining how many feet away they should be. If you do make another one of these anytime soon, the only thing I ask is maybe just holding the camera and showing the window and the plants in the same frame just to see the exact placement in reference to the window, a little better. But again, super helpful video, many thanks!

2. KaylayCreates on July 16, 2022 at 11:27 pm

I’m so jealous of all of your huge windows! I have windows in all directions but my east facing windows have a porch over them and the southern facing windows have another house blocking the light! So my house is LOW LOW light! I just moved in here and I’m trying to make sure they’re thriving! I just bought grow lights to see if they’ll help!

3. Diane Black on July 16, 2022 at 11:29 pm

you made sense to me..you are clearer than you think you are.

4. فواز العازمي on July 16, 2022 at 11:29 pm

😍🌹👍🏻

5. Jessica Seddon on July 16, 2022 at 11:31 pm

Hi harlii, I know this video was from awhile ago but I was wondering… I have a frosted glass window on the north-east side of of my house (southern hemisphere) and it gets great light. I was wondering, does frosted glass effect the amount of light that plants are getting? Does it become diffused? I’d love to put a plant infront of that window but hoping it doesn’t make it too diffused

6. Michael Myers on July 16, 2022 at 11:32 pm

How do you make your plants look so ‘shiny’ or ‘polished’?

7. Dorle Lambert on July 16, 2022 at 11:33 pm

What do you think of having a grow light? I live in Colorado and our weather is so unexpected we can go days without sunlight in the winter. What do you recommend for these cold winter months?

8. taimatsuko on July 16, 2022 at 11:34 pm

Thank you for the Shadow tip!

9. LuckyLeaves on July 16, 2022 at 11:34 pm

I like how you said what plants do well in which facing direction.

10. Brenda Kenney on July 16, 2022 at 11:35 pm

So would a zebra plant and perperomia obstruct.. plants do good in an east window?

11. mnewt712 on July 16, 2022 at 11:38 pm

Wow! You sure have a lot of healthy looking plants! Thanks for the info.
    Appreciate it! 😁👍👍

12. Annie Setting on July 16, 2022 at 11:39 pm

So what about Northeast and Southeast windows? These are my home office windows where I want to introduce more plants.

13. C I on July 16, 2022 at 11:43 pm

This video’s editing was potent

14. The Man Himself on July 16, 2022 at 11:43 pm

I have issues with my terrarium plants no idea what I do wrong

15. KusbickPaula on July 16, 2022 at 11:44 pm

That hair tho 😍 Love the content as well 👌

16. M Woods on July 16, 2022 at 11:45 pm

Ugg everyone says something different

17. Jen on July 16, 2022 at 11:46 pm

Oldie but a goodie 👍 I live in the Pacific Northwest and days are starting to get noticeably shorter I have more plants than last season so I’m gearing up for them to survive winter 🥶

18. Jo Brookes on July 16, 2022 at 11:46 pm

A floor plan would be helpful showing north south east & west. Label bright & low light & list plants. I might do that for my place. Would help on videos like this

19. Fang Zhang on July 16, 2022 at 11:49 pm

I’m late to this video but I really hope you see this. There’s a light intensity meter that can measure lux, if you can use it to measure the ideal lux for different varieties, I’ll really appreciate it. Sorry for my English

20. Kvaan Sharifi on July 16, 2022 at 11:53 pm

2000 meters above sea level 😉

21. Philodendronfam on July 16, 2022 at 11:55 pm

Hey Harli, the orientation changes for people who will in the southern hemisphere! If you live in Australia or New Zealand etc, then North Facing windows are the brightest and south facing windows are darkest 🙂

22. Catherine Desilets on July 16, 2022 at 11:55 pm

It’s my first winter with plants indoors
    I don’t really want to bring them all into one room
    Can a few of my plants simply adjust to less & less light?
    My house I always warm 18-25 degrees Celsius
    60% humidity
    But I live in Canada west coast so very limited sun during the winter
    Any advice?

23. Bryson Gainey on July 16, 2022 at 11:56 pm

I love how many plants you have in your house! You could say passionate, but I would say obsessed, love it!

24. Janet McMorrow on July 16, 2022 at 11:58 pm

Thank you! Very helpful! 😉

25. Imani Harris on July 16, 2022 at 11:59 pm

I’ve watched pretty much all the light video and yours gave me the clearest picture! And it’s funny because you thought you weren’t making sense! Thanks for the help!

26. Dame Saphira on July 16, 2022 at 11:59 pm

Your words were not jumbled. It is just your Cockney pronunciation that is weird on an American. Not pronouncing your T’s (as in Cockney) is very strange when using an American accent. For example: "Interesting" becomes "In-RES-in" and "Curtin" becomes "KUR-in". Eliza Doolittle goes to America. LOL

27. M Woods on July 17, 2022 at 12:01 am

Anyone know the app for lighting for plants??

28. toinfinityandpandas on July 17, 2022 at 12:01 am

I understood your explanations well 🙂 thank you! I fell into the trap of buying all these plants and not researching or determining my light sources first. All of my windows are north facing and I’m bummed because it’s the lowest amount of light (my north windows face a side walk with light posts so I get artificial light at night? Not sure how strong it is though) So far most of my plants are surviving but I know they’d be happier with more light. I was going to buy more grow lights but I also thought of getting mirrors to bounce the light around??? Maybe it might be more complicated than it has to be but as you can see Im back at the drawing board 🤣 that ends my rant.

29. Dexx Peay on July 17, 2022 at 12:02 am

What’s that pole you have the plants hanging on?

30. Michelle R on July 17, 2022 at 12:03 am

My south-west window is my life saviour during winter, it’s litterally the only place I get enough light in my appartment. My north-east window is covered by a big tree from spring to fall so it’s barely usable, except for sansevieria but I’m trying to make it grow so it needs the light

31. Dimitrios on July 17, 2022 at 12:03 am

Why do people still use ft. All planet uses Meters. Can you please switch to normal?

32. Supermetroidgrl _ on July 17, 2022 at 12:04 am

I only have eastern and south facing in my plant room. My yard is full of large trees that block the light. It seems that they are not that bright.

33. Emerald46 on July 17, 2022 at 12:04 am

Ummm how do you even tell what window is in what direction?

34. OPG_pro92 on July 17, 2022 at 12:06 am

You could use the word intensity instead of potency. Very informative video, thanks!

35. Natalia Corral on July 17, 2022 at 12:06 am

Girl, thank you for this video 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

36. Michelle Vansandt on July 17, 2022 at 12:08 am

My money plant is kind light it was outside and the leaves are light green. What do I need to do

37. WineOfAges on July 17, 2022 at 12:08 am

(Gasp) They are so beautiful 🤗🤗

38. Tips & Tricksss on July 17, 2022 at 12:08 am

You need about 400 lumens to 700 lumens of light for low light plants to be comfortable and grow. Here in the UK a lot of homes are dark but some house plants will be happy with artificial lightening from regular household bulbs or office lighting. My home is very dark, I get a bit of light on one side of the bedroom and the kitchen is the only bright place, the rest of the rooms in the house are too dark for house plants so I’m planing on running some extra lighting from solar power.

39. Sam on July 17, 2022 at 12:12 am

“They get it from both directions”

40. Ms. Irene on July 17, 2022 at 12:12 am

I just started watching your videos. What plants thrive with a huge south facing window?

41. sunrise on July 17, 2022 at 12:13 am

Me with a north facing window still wanting a lush indoor garden ._.

42. Jessica Hanson on July 17, 2022 at 12:13 am

I was wondering if grow lights should be treated as you would sunlight, and if so, how should I plan out my indoor lights for say my hoyas, my monsteras and plants that hate high light or direct light?

43. R. Káva on July 17, 2022 at 12:14 am

I’m so confused about where to put my peace lilly. It’s off to the side (about 4ft) of an east facing window and a north facing window. It constantly gets brown tips on its leaves and blackish spots in the middle of its leaves. Now that it’s winter it’s not browning but it’s not getting any new growth. 😕 I’m so frustrated. I can’t tell if it’s getting too much light or not enough.

44. LizaMarie408 on July 17, 2022 at 12:15 am

My living area only has north and west. Kind of sucky cuz it’s no sun north and hard sun west. The windows are at ends kind of like an L shaped and I try to keep the plant on the Corner middle but my Monstera is dying everywhere. :(((

45. C C on July 17, 2022 at 12:16 am

I must be slow I have no clue about north south east west window. If the sun shines through that’s where I stick them🤔😱

46. chelsie gragg on July 17, 2022 at 12:18 am

This video is so helpful. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

47. Claire Kilimangi on July 17, 2022 at 12:18 am

This video is amazing! It’s exactly what I needed and I have not been able to find it anywhere else. Thank you so much, especially for telling us where you place your plants.

48. Kendra Voracek on July 17, 2022 at 12:19 am

So a south a window would be bad for a string of hearts?

49. The Great Awk -ward on July 17, 2022 at 12:22 am

I was looking for lighting as in electric lights….my windows are all full and it’s time to bring the outside plants in and theres no more window space!

50. Leyna Abbey on July 17, 2022 at 12:25 am

My east facing windows are shaded by my covered front porch, and 1 is in my 3yo’s room. All of my open windows are north facing. Boo. I use full spectrum grow bulbs in my dining room JUST to get enough light for my low light thriving babies. Next house will definitely need better windows