FFXIV Thavnairian Onion and Gardening Guide 2022 – Gil Making 101

FFXIV Thavnairian Onion and Gardening Guide 2022 – Gil Making 101

Thavnairian Onion Farms are SERIOUS BUSINESS. My goal with this video is simple, a concise zero to hero guide to gardening and making a ton of gil. MILLIONS OF GIL FOR BASICALLY NO EFFORT. Gardening is one of the best ways to make gil with just a tiny investment.

If you enjoyed the video, don’t forget to hit LIKE and leave a COMMENT down below. SUBSCRIBE for FFXIV gaming videos!
► Checkout Evyx.gg (My ad free website!) for more FFXIV content and guides!
► Join the Evyx Gaming Discord:
► Follow me on Twitter:

#ffxiv #ff14 #FFXIV #FF14 #FinalFantasyXIV #finalfantasy14 #finalfantasyxiv #FinalFantasyXIVOnline

#FFXIV #FF14 #FinalFantasyXIV

Timestamps:
0:00 FFXIV Gardening Guide 2022
0:38 Gardening Rewards
1:15 Why Thavnarian Onion Seeds in FFXIV
1:39 Gardening Tools and Plots and Soils and Seeds
2:42 FFXIVGardening
3:46 Step 1 – Tantalplant Seeds
4:44 Advanced Cross Method
5:55 How often I Waterplants and stinky plants
6:24 Step 1 – THAVNAIRIAN ONION FARM SETUP!
7:24 Step 2 – Thavnairian Onion Farm TECHNIQUE
8:33 Step 3 – Royal Kukuru Seeds
9:30 General recommendations
10:19 GIL! SO MUCH GIL TO BE MADE AHAHAHAA!
10:37 Thavanairian Onion Seed Flipping
11:53 What do you guys think

With new houses being added into FFXIV this means so many more players are going to finally get their grubby cat or bunny adjacent paws on one of the best gil making systems in the game– gardening!

If this gardening guide helps you I’d super appreciate if you slammed that like button with a barbequed hamburger cause holy I want some– and cat daddies that subscribe button!

For gardening there are plenty of items that can make gil, this can range from intermediate seeds like flat out growing tantalplant seeds I will mention here can earn good gil. Jute and a few other types can make housing items like the much desired combed wool rug. There are minions as well like the allagan melon, eggplant knight, mandragora queen and a few others. But there has, in all the years I’ve been doing gardening, not been a single better result than producing thavnairian onion seeds.

These are always in demand because chocobos require these in order to level and chocobos are very useful in anything involving the open world which can even help in the hunt train. High level chocobos are really monstrous actually.

But enough of that, to gardening!

So first up you need a garden plot. I recommend avoiding your knee jerk reaction to go to the marketboard to pick up these since often times people are reselling higher than the NPC, though sometimes you can get a deal. These are 48k gil per plot from the housing merchant in your ward.

Large houses can have a max of 3, medium 2 and small 1 of these garden plots. The deluxe is required since it allows you to farm the most seeds and successfully cross seeds which I will explain shortly.

The only two things necessary once you have the garden plots are soil and seeds which will be determined by what your goal is to farm.

I will cite a tried and true website called ffxiv gardening which through the years has proved absolutely invaluable and you can find awesome information like what you can garden to obtain, how to crossbreed, crossbreed diagrams and more. This website is basically your gardening encyclopedia.

For the purposes of this guide however we’re going to be using specifically Ivory’s advanced compact thavnairian onion farm. This can be used on as few as one deluxe garden plot or scale as high as you want like right now I run 6 on Gilgamesh between my two houses. I just do the exact pattern per individual plot.

Step 1 Tantalplant Seeds

So if you really want to just dive right in and buy tantalplant seeds you can skip ahead to the next chapter of this video or timestamp. But for people who aren’t absolutely overflowing in gil and are intimidated by the wild marketboard prices let’s get into it here.

To get tantalplant seeds, which we will need 3 of per garden plot, we want to cross krakka roots with midland basil seeds. Easiest way to get midland basil seeds is marketboard but they are farmable in costa del sol. Krakka root seeds and potting soil can be bought from the housing NPC. Lastly grade 3 thanalan topsoil which can be farmed, or bought off the marketboard but my favorite is you also can dump poetic tomestones into buying unidentifiable ore from Hismenaand turn them in for grade 3 thanalan topsoil from Bertana in Idyllshire.

1. ickivicki on July 17, 2022 at 10:31 pm

Keep making these videos! One day I might feel like putting in the effort to do these things lol

2. Daniel Sobota on July 17, 2022 at 10:34 pm

I usually say: no numbers and estimate gold/gil income = trash video. I am sorry to say, but this statement is especially true for gardening. I play on Cerberus-EU and for a longest time its not viable to grow th’onions yourself. There are just so many easier ways to get gil (and more efficient).
    BTW to be succesfull in gardening you need few things:
    1. House obv.
    2. Time and motivation for watering it EVERY single day. you wont get away with watering plants every second day if you plant th’onions yourself.
    3. Be sure to count one or two dead seeds in your gil income calculations, since I am 100% sure you will forget to water them. That alone tramps the idea of playing when you want to and not logging in, when you rather do/play something else.
    PS. At the very least, you explained advanced cross-planting in a nice, easy to understand way^^.

3. Skyaine on July 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm

7:46 What do you mean by this? If I don’t harvest the Tantalplant crops, does it eventually wither (old reddit post says after 2 days), or will it just stay in the harvestable state until I do eventually harvest it?

4. Andrew An on July 17, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Mm.
    We got Greek god crafted gear and Thavnairian guard tomestone gear in 6.0/6.1 so 6.2 will drop Garlemald gear as tomestones most likely. Maybe more pvp gear for crafting.
    Think Imma just save all my gil til 6.4 since its the last time new gears dropping besides the 6.5 alliance and treasure map mat glam.
    Im at 525 faux leaves so I cant hawk a mount on the mb for minimum three more weeks ugh thanks for a guide Cole

5. Flint on July 17, 2022 at 10:41 pm

i wish there wasn’t a lot of chitchat between explaining, it was difficult to understand what was important in the video.

6. BrodeurBear on July 17, 2022 at 10:42 pm

This is a really really good video for what can be quite confusing and so far not terribly well explained aspect of housing. Don’t feed the trolls, they have onion breath, I love the suggestion you’re going to crash the onion market 😸😸

7. Chi Fox on July 17, 2022 at 10:51 pm

I am a new player and don’t really see need of Gil for anything

8. Red on July 17, 2022 at 10:59 pm

or… you can just farm maps and get the money to buy the onions

And I say this because one map, if you’re lucky it can make you 3-6m in one go. Which is more than enough to buy all the onions you’d need for your chocobo lol.

It’s simple, more engaging than gardening and doesn’t lock you out if you’re not one of the lucky ones to get a home. However, I do think Island Sanctuary will fix this lockout, which then again, will start making the onions cheaper over time the more people flood the market with them.

9. Zane Lionhart on July 17, 2022 at 11:00 pm

I’m too lazy to garden lol

10. arromell on July 17, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Thanks for the video! I found the FFXIV gardening site and my first go a few weeks ago I thought was a disaster, but the royal kukuru seeds were what I needed. I have a question if you don’t mind answering. When you first plant you put in two temporary seeds with regular potting soil, then remove them, and then replant with the same seed, could you not plant the seeds with grade 3 soil so you don’t destroy the seeds? If you said in the video I apologize for asking, I may have just missed it. It seems like an added step, but as a gardener myself it just seems like an extra step and removing a good seed. Anyway, I was just curious if that was a needed step or one that could be skipped when it comes down to it, but I would like to understand the logic as well because I just don’t get digging up a good seed and replanting the same thing (with different soil). Well, it’s back to the garden I go for my second attempt!

11. Sara Marie on July 17, 2022 at 11:06 pm

I just got my house and learning to garden so I am 100% new to this. Do I have to level a specific DoH/DoL for this?

12. Ken Amada on July 17, 2022 at 11:11 pm

For the people saying theres more effective ways to get money…. what is stopping you from doing multiple things at once? You can do maps, garden and other gil making processes all at the same time.

13. Emily Spector on July 17, 2022 at 11:15 pm

Let’s hope we are lucky getting a house this time!! Fried chicken seeds sounds good….

14. Cory Hyde on July 17, 2022 at 11:18 pm

Thank you! This is the best explanation of the process. Yeah, the gardening guide gives instructions, but you brought clarity to them. Excellent work! Keep safe and keep happy! 🙂

15. Cole Evyx on July 17, 2022 at 11:19 pm

I want BBQ Hamburgers with some THAVANAIRIAN ONIONS ON THEM! Oh lawd I NEED them.

16. overkill2overdrive on July 17, 2022 at 11:22 pm

i don’t get the 1st step, what do you mean "rip up the already planted krakka root"? i’m not sure what "rip up" means as i don’t see that option (also English not my 1st language).

17. zerotheliger - on July 17, 2022 at 11:25 pm

hmmm i sense fur :3

18. Food Republic on July 17, 2022 at 11:25 pm

So whats stopping me from staring right at the royal kukuru and tantalplant step by buying them from MB?

19. Nundalose on July 17, 2022 at 11:26 pm

I think mechanically, Gardening is one of the most complex things out there, with some crazy in depth theorycrafting and mechanics. thanks for the guide