Vegetable crops that can be planted & harvested all year-round | Gardening 101 | Gardening Australia

Sophie profiles her favourite four-season crops that can be planted and harvested all year-round.  Subscribe 🔔 http://ab.co/GA-subscribe

Many vegetables can be grown all year round in Australian vegetable gardens, depending on the region you live in. The climate in the Adelaide Hills has extremes, from harsh frost to extreme hot weather days in summer. But despite the extremes, Sophie has learnt what works for her location and which same crops will survive and thrive all year round.

Sophie’s ‘all year rounder’ list includes lettuce, spring onion, bok choi and other Asian greens, beetroot, chard and kale. These are now regarded as staple crops in her household. Sophie has some of these crops growing at present in various locations, and at various stages of growth.

Sophie says, “every now and again, I read that Asian Greens are cool-season crops and need to be planted in March, but that is not my experience. I plant bok choy (3 punnets so 18 plants per one-metre square wicking bed) every month of the year with great results and usually have a bed of it ready for harvest each month. I start by harvesting smaller ones and thin out the planting, so larger varieties get more space to spread out.”

Sophie tends to plant as seedlings from punnets as this is a time saver.

She also practices crop rotation and avoids growing the same crop in the same soil all year round. This helps prevent nutrient depletion in the soil and can help with disease prevention.

Given that she staggers planting, this is easy to achieve. While one crop is maturing, say spring onions, she’ll start off another spring onion patch in another location.

Experiment with your own all year round crops, to see what works in your garden.
___________________________________________

Gardening Australia is an ABC TV program providing gardening know-how and inspiration. Presented by Australia’s leading horticultural experts, Gardening Australia is a valuable resource to all gardeners through the television program, the magazine, books, DVDs and extensive online content.

Watch more: http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/gardening-australia
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gardeningaustralia
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/gardeningaustralia
Web: http://www.abc.net.au/gardening

___________________________________________

This is an official Australian Broadcasting Corporation YouTube channel. Contributions may be removed if they violate ABC’s Online Conditions of Use http://www.abc.net.au/conditions.htm (Section 3).

1. helicart on July 18, 2022 at 11:25 pm

Nice….
    I am progressively growing from seed. It works in better for succession gardening, and my systems and routines are matured.
    I can get plugs for 40cents. I have around 80-100 mainly leafy greens in beds at any time, so growing from seeds saves me around $150pa.
    My biggest tip is to get your systems right. I live in SE Qld, and use high tunnnels…. mesh during winter, and shadecloth or plastic in summer depending on heat and torrential rains. Doing so guarantees higher yields and extended season. The shadecloth delays bolting.

2. Daniel H on July 18, 2022 at 11:27 pm

My lettuce is always bitter. This year I will only grow it on the shady side of taller plants like tomatoes and corn. Does anyone have any other tips?

3. Polly Jazz on July 18, 2022 at 11:28 pm

I like your garden sculptures! Do you have a video where you show these off?

4. Paul's Green Space on July 18, 2022 at 11:29 pm

Love growing food at home
    Tastes so much better when it’s home grown
    And my chooks produce the best tasting eggs

5. Mary's Roof Garden on July 18, 2022 at 11:37 pm

Wow, you’ve got a beautiful garden. Love from India 🇮🇳 ❤

6. Lizzi O'Connor on July 18, 2022 at 11:41 pm

Wow – your garden has developed beautifully.
    I remember when you moved there + it was quite barren.
    WellDone.
    Great to see.
    ThankYou.
    How many years have You been there now?
    ♥️🙏🏿

7. John James on July 18, 2022 at 11:48 pm

Sophie looks like a Toorak gardener these days. More Millie. 😉

8. Smith 53 on July 18, 2022 at 11:52 pm

Great vid. 👏 what location in Australia is the garden you are in ?

9. Gerry Clough on July 18, 2022 at 11:59 pm

One chard is enough for 2 people? You need to eat a lot more greens! I’ve got a 2.4 x 1.2-metre bed filled with Chard and kale and it’s enough for 2.
    Lettuce is great all year round but needs a bit of shade in the hot summer.
    Still, nice video

10. Christina Bickley on July 19, 2022 at 12:02 am

what a shame that no body takes the time from this channel to respond to questions… shame

11. Зайки ягоды on July 19, 2022 at 12:06 am

What about planting strawberry and broccoli in Australia?

12. Christina Bickley on July 19, 2022 at 12:08 am

hello…. i have limited sun in my back yard with large trees near by…. what is the minimum amount of sun for vegetables please

13. leslie devlin on July 19, 2022 at 12:09 am

Great show people 💯💯💯 stay 💪💪💪😊😊😊

14. Nerida Damas on July 19, 2022 at 12:10 am

So sad this year entire crops got eaten by rats possums. Was going to give up
    But will try again cause i love to plant things eat when minutes not weeks old

15. John James on July 19, 2022 at 12:17 am

GA’s lost the plot. Not a calloused hand, or dirt under the fingernails to be seen except for Millie. Respect Millie. ❤

16. jamshid nikkerdar on July 19, 2022 at 12:22 am