A Cheap Fruit Cage to Protect Currants from Birds PART 1

A Cheap Fruit Cage to Protect Currants from Birds PART 1

On our small holding we grow a lot of our own fruit. Fruit is the expensive to buy so we have spent a a lot of time making sure we grow as much as possible.
Our currants have outgrown their protective cages so we need to create a new fruitcage of a larger size for little or no money.
Part 1 of this 2 part series shows the overall plan and deals with moving the currant bushes into a new location.

We grow our own food on our smallholding and endeavour to be self-sufficient. Subscribe to see more of our life including self sufficiency videos, recipes, garden tips and chicken keeping.

The Polytunnel frame that we use as the fruit cage frame can be found here:

Shop our merchandise on our eBay seller account using this link:
If your size is not available and you would like to be notified when more are available, please email us with your name & how many or each size you would like at this address:
englishcountrylife@outlook.com

Visit our Amazon storefront for recommended products:

Opening Music credits: Artist = Earth Tree Healing
Composer = Claudine West
Website = https://claudinewestmusic.com/earth-tree-healing-music/

We earn commission from Amazon Affiliate Links

1. Ash M on July 19, 2022 at 11:40 pm

Looking forward to part 2 and seeing the finished project! Also I made a batch of your parsnip wine this week and it smells pretty good already.

2. Geoff and Deb Shipton on July 19, 2022 at 11:42 pm

Excellent use of existing resources, including that turf. Lots of work there Fiona but well worth it, for sure. Looking forward to part two!

3. Simply Scaradise on July 19, 2022 at 11:50 pm

Already looking forward to Part 2 ๐Ÿ™Œ. Also want to thank Hugh for some good sound advice on apple trees ๐Ÿ™

4. Lillie Hinds on July 19, 2022 at 11:53 pm

Bruh I thought she said fruitcake and I’m like that’s wierd but ok

5. Rahman Halim on July 19, 2022 at 11:53 pm

Well done… Thanks for sharing…
    Very inspiring at all levels:
    – the planning
    – the implementing, and
    – the generosity

All the best!

6. rain coast on July 19, 2022 at 11:57 pm

Good job! It was a lot of work but you made a tidy job of it. Do treat yourself to a long handled shovel. It hurts MY back to see you bending like that.

7. Wendy Elliott on July 19, 2022 at 11:59 pm

Iโ€™ve tackled jobs like this before and itโ€™s back breaking and time consuming and you think why did I start this but when itโ€™s all Finnish, such an achievement, well done for all that work and I hope your pleased with outcome ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

8. Random Rachael on July 20, 2022 at 12:06 am

So much great knowledge and hard work, good job on another awesome video!

9. InBloom on July 20, 2022 at 12:06 am

Wow, what an undertaking! It will be well worth the hard work, I’m sure. Fiona, can I ask where you got those boots? I love them and I’m in need of an upgrade.

10. Orla Martin on July 20, 2022 at 12:12 am

Just found your channel, I really like how you so simply and clearly take us through each step in detail, e.g. mentioning the use pipe clamps, it really helps for a DIY and gardening beginner like me. Looking forward to watching more of your videos.
    I have a question if you donโ€™t mind: we are on just under an acre in south east ireland of overgrown (brambles, scutch grass, bracken, other grasses) on clay and stony soul. I have tried lazy beds in one area and no dig raised beds (expensive to fill!) in another. How you recommend we approach the site as a whole? Bring in machinery to loosen the soil and pull up all those scutch and bramble and bracken roots? This disturbs the soil so much and would be expensive but gets the job done in one go. Or is there another way to tackle these pernicious weeds and prepare the ground for planting (more beds and an orchard)? Many thanks for any tips or thoughts.

11. PLANeT DOODS on July 20, 2022 at 12:17 am

Hi Fiona, Thereโ€™s no doubt your hard work will definitely pay off. โค๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘