Roger Cook helps a homeowner build a simple, affordable backyard greenhouse. (See the shopping list and tools below.)
SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
Roger visits Biloxi, Mississippi where he builds a high tunnel greenhouse with a homeowner.
Shopping List for How to Build a High-Tunnel Greenhouse:
– 1-inch-diameter PVC pipe [https://amzn.to/31pKO4k], to create frame of high tunnel
– 1 1/4-inch-diameter PVC pipe and reducer coupling [https://amzn.to/2IBbsyn], to make sleeve that fits over galvanized pipe
– Pressure-treated 2x4s [https://amzn.to/2WynL3s], for building end walls and base
– Pressure-treated 2x2s [https://amzn.to/2WvmZEf], for framing two doors
– 4-mil clear plastic sheeting [https://amzn.to/2X5QnFy], to cover the PVC frame
– 3-inch screws [https://amzn.to/2WvnX3l], for attaching 2x4s
– Galvanized pipe [https://amzn.to/2F4we8N], to secure the PVC pipe to the ground
– PVC primer and cement [https://amzn.to/2X6MeBh], for gluing together PVC pipe and fittings
– Metal pipe brackets [https://amzn.to/2WZqLKD] with 1 1/4-inch screws and washers [https://amzn.to/2Wz567y], used to secure PVC pipe to 2×4 base
– Six 3-inch butt hinges [https://amzn.to/31rKemj], for hanging two doors
– 1/4-inch staples [https://amzn.to/2WZrDyT], to secure the plastic sheeting
Tools List for How to Build a High-Tunnel Greenhouse:
– Cordless drill [https://amzn.to/2KaQUQt], to drill holes
– Impact driver [https://amzn.to/31tcEwj], for driving screws
– Circular saw [https://amzn.to/2Ka2paZ], to cut 2x4s
– Auger [https://amzn.to/2KduJt5], to drill holes in soil
– Small sledgehammer [https://amzn.to/2XE1x1t], for pounding in galvanized pipe
– PVC saw [https://amzn.to/2Kd59V4], to cut plastic pipe
– Staple gun [https://amzn.to/2wLBYzt], for attaching the plastic sheeting
– Utility knife [https://amzn.to/31tkuX4], to cut plastic sheeting
All of the materials for this project, including 20-foot lengths of 1″ PVC pipe, Pressure-treated 2x4s, and 4 mil plastic sheeting, are available at home centers.
Expert assistance with this project was provided by the Mississippi State University Coastal Research & Extension Center [http://coastal.msstate.edu/].
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Looking for more step by step guidance on how to complete projects around the house? Join This Old House INSIDER to stream over 1,000 episodes commercial-free: https://bit.ly/2GPiYbH
Plus, download our FREE app for full-episode streaming to your connected TV, phone or tablet: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/pages/streaming-app
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more on This Old House and Ask This Old House, visit us at: http://bit.ly/ThisOldHouseWebsite
How to Build a High-Tunnel Greenhouse | Ask This Old House