When is the best time to water your garden?

When is the best time to water your garden?

In this video, I explain when is the best time to water your garden?

Go here to get Birdies Raised Garden bed in the USA: https://shop.epicgardening.com/ and use SSME2020 for a 5% discount.

In Australia, go to https://birdiesgardenproducts.com.au/ and use Code SSMEbird for a 5% discount. In New Zealand, go to https://birdiesgardenproducts.co.nz/ and use Code ssmebird22 for 5% off your first purchase.

Harvest Right freeze dryer website: https://affiliates.harvestright.com/1099.html
For Australian freeze dryer purchases use the same link as above and contact Harvest Right directly.

Plant Doctor Fertiliser: Go to https://www.plantdoctor.com.au/ and use SSM20 = “One-time” use code offering 20% off products (not shipping). Next time you shop use SSM10 = 10% off products (not shipping).

Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/selfsufficientme (the top tier $25 AU enables mentoring from yours truly via an exclusive VIP email where I will answer your questions etc ASAP).

Hoselink Garden Products such as hose reels go here https://l.linklyhq.com/l/5uZu and you will automatically get a 10% discount on checkout!

My second channel Self Sufficient Me 2: https://bit.ly/331edDu
New (third) Channel: Self Suffishing Me https://bit.ly/2LiIWqt

Help support the Channel and buy a T-shirt/Merchandise from our Spreadshirt shop: https://bit.ly/3lmqMkr or Teespring https://bit.ly/3neEYO8

Check out www.gardentoolsnow.com/ for tools such as the Prong I recommend to use.

Rolling Sifter: https://rollingsifter.ecwid.com/ use Compostyng (yes with a “y”) during checkout for a 10% discount. Cheryl (a registered nurse by trade invented and hand makes these sifters).

Shop for plants or garden equip on eBay Australia: https://bit.ly/2BPCykb

Blog: http://www.selfsufficientme.com/ (use the search bar on my website to find info on certain subjects or gardening ideas)

Forum: http://www.selfsufficientculture.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/self_sufficient_me

Facebook: https://bit.ly/2Zi5kDv

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SufficientMe

Subscribe to my channel: http://goo.gl/cpbojR

Self Sufficient Me is based on our small 3-acre property/homestead in SE Queensland Australia about 45kms north of Brisbane – the climate is subtropical (similar to Florida). I started Self Sufficient Me in 2011 as a blog website project where I document and write about backyard food growing, self-sufficiency, and urban farming in general. I love sharing my foodie and DIY adventures online so come along with me and let’s get into it! Cheers, Mark 🙂 #garden #gardening #water

*Disclaimer: Some links to products in this description and comments sections are affiliated, meaning, I receive a small commission if you follow these links and then purchase an item. I will always declare in a video if the video is sponsored and as of October 2021 I am yet to do a sponsored video.

1. Shawn Finegan on July 24, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Hi Mark Love your channel
    I’m in Ohio and I am looking forward to growing vegies this year for the first time ever

2. Sweeta on July 24, 2022 at 10:49 pm

Is it okay to mulch with cardboard

3. dzo nz on July 24, 2022 at 10:51 pm

The amount of people that swear black and blue that any water during the day will kill all your plants…. If that were true a bit of a sun shower would be a death sentence. What does kill your plants is drying to a crisp

4. Guardlife on July 24, 2022 at 10:52 pm

👍🏽

5. Amber Honkomp on July 24, 2022 at 10:53 pm

I’m from Indiana USA, I grow some of the same plants you grow like dragon fruit, but we get cold harsh winters here with snow. My pineapple plants are about four years old and they never produced any fruits. Hopefully I can get success with my dragon fruit cacti and my avocado trees. I learned the reason why my avocado trees died almost every winter. I bought myself a plant light and so far it’s helping keeping these avocado trees alive, except for one of them that has been struggling this whole year but luckily I have three more that are thriving and the new leaves are just starting to grow finally. With my dragon fruit cuttings, it should take about three years to start flowering. I can’t guarantee I’ll get fruits off them because I live so far north in the USA. If I was able to move south from here, I would to get more success off all my tropical fruit plants.

6. alleah sg on July 24, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Does this also applies to ornamental garden? Thanks..im from the Philippines 😊

7. MseeBMe on July 24, 2022 at 10:56 pm

Wow, I’d always avoided watering in the arvo because I thought it would burn the leaves!

I’m so glad I watched this!!
    Thank you!

8. Maria Serra -Queenmeetsgreen on July 24, 2022 at 10:58 pm

Mornings are best for me too because here in south Florida it gets so hot in the afternoon that everything suffers.

9. Andrea Addison on July 24, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Hi Mark, was just wondering how your tomatoes went with the Florida weave, planning to do same in my garden if it warms up enough for tomatoes to grow. Thx.

10. Minouche Pierre on July 24, 2022 at 11:01 pm

Hi Mark can I put worms in my compost tumbler?

11. mtcondie on July 24, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Good information!

12. Tinkering in Thailand on July 24, 2022 at 11:03 pm

I was going to comment on how my wife relates to the water test method, but I won’t 😛

13. rainepanda on July 24, 2022 at 11:05 pm

I’m very grateful to your videos especially because we live in similar climates. It makes me more confident in how I approach my new garden 🙂

14. Minouche Pierre on July 24, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Hi Mark thank you 🙏 for all the wonderful information, now I have hope I will work harder.
    Is anyone know how to get the birdies raise garden beds?

15. MacaroniMama DP on July 24, 2022 at 11:06 pm

I bought tons of tubes to make a watering system and got frustrated w trying to design it… watering by hand is the best. It gives you that opportunity to see any bugs or disease and get it asap. It’s just tough when the FL heat kicks in.

16. Little Bean's Garden on July 24, 2022 at 11:09 pm

I water my garden in the morning. I feel that works best for me because we get so hot 🥵 here 😊

17. Misty Birdbush on July 24, 2022 at 11:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your knowledge again Mark!
    Made me giggle… I’m definitely not going hiking after a night on the turps. I’m lucky if I get off the couch 😅

18. pragnesh patani on July 24, 2022 at 11:11 pm

What happened with wicking beds?

19. Kumsal Obuz on July 24, 2022 at 11:12 pm

Inspirational, insightful and informative as usual. Thank you.

20. WAZZA on July 24, 2022 at 11:14 pm

For non Aussies, (1:34 in) terps or turps = alcohol. Its aussie slang for having a few (or few to many) beers (or other alcohol) 🙂

21. Sol Zimm on July 24, 2022 at 11:14 pm

I use drip irrigation, put a .5-1 gph dripper at every plant location and set it for 20 minutes every 12 hours. Love it, it’s a perfect amount where I don’t worry about turning it off when it rains (unless it’s an unseasonable event). Sure it requires a bit of work installing it every season but once you get the fundamentals down it’s cheap and effective. The water penetrates nicely so evaporation is a very low impact, if you have a sun shade or mulch it’s nearly non existent

22. Real Estate InfoNet on July 24, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Very helpful information Mark! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us! Sincere

regards!

23. Stephen Hope on July 24, 2022 at 11:15 pm

Very good, I like this. On my raised beds I have drip irrigation and I can do the finger test and set each bed for length of time and # of days per week. So much easier than running a hose out. I get my exercise by walking and finger testing anyway.:) I also think the drip (along with good mulch) reduces weeds and the amount of water I use and I can tell you here in 9b Sacramento we are in a deep drought with an El Nino winter coming (El Nino means much less rainfall than usual) Thanks Mark, great vids.

24. DeeDee Brecht on July 24, 2022 at 11:17 pm

So that was why my squash plant leaves looked like they were moldy! I was watering them late in the evening and the water would stay on the leaves overnight therefore causing the mold. Got it! I’ll either water at the roots when I have to water late or I will water early in the morning….lesson learned.

25. d t on July 24, 2022 at 11:18 pm

like your new transitions in the video editing mate!! keep it going you legend

26. Sw 1100 on July 24, 2022 at 11:18 pm

We need to link up no cap 🧢

27. GavotteGuitarStudio on July 24, 2022 at 11:19 pm

Respectfully disagree. I agree that watering after the sun starts going down might increase the chances of rot, but generally, it’s so hot and dry here (Tampa) the plants are dry by the following afternoon. I have most of my plants on an every other day watering schedule to save water and money. Watering at night seems to help them absorb more, the morning dew coats them for the day, and they’re usually completely dry by the next time I water, and I don’t lose water to evaporation. During our summer I don’t really water at all because it’s so rainy. I agree with avoiding spraying the leaves a bunch if you water at night. I just give the leaves a light mist and focus on saturating the root bulb.

28. Paul Kinnear on July 24, 2022 at 11:20 pm

Thanks Mark, we’re just down the road from you, and have just started raised bed veggies for the kids! We’ve been following your advice and have to constantly update the beds to keep up with the growth!! Everything’s going off tap!!! Great vid and thanks again!!

29. Crocheting Around New Zealand on July 24, 2022 at 11:21 pm

Where’s your sun hat? 🌞 I reckon I need shade cloth over my whole backyard these days lol

30. jontee ruffin on July 24, 2022 at 11:23 pm

JEHOVAH YHWH BLESS YOU BROTHER MARK, SISTER NINA, AND FAMILY 😚" This Is What JEHOVAH YHWH Says To His Anointed One, To Cyrus, " Whose Right hand I Have Taken Hold Of To Subdue Nations Before Him, To Disarm " Kings. To Open Before Him The Double Doors. So That Gates Will Not Be Shut: 😚GREAT INFORMATION 😚YET THE SUN IS OUR FRIEND 😚THANKS 😚YOUR GARDEN LOOKS FANTASTIC 😚LOVE YOU UNCONDITIONALLY.

31. Uma Murali on July 24, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Love your garden 😀ur videos are very informative 🙏 thank you

32. Norma on July 24, 2022 at 11:23 pm

You’re So lucky for all that sun you have on your homestead! I’m dreading winter, praying it’s a mild one.

33. Daniel M.A on July 24, 2022 at 11:25 pm

Great video and very entertaining as well i learned a lot.

34. Mimanano on July 24, 2022 at 11:27 pm

Wise man

35. Nostalgic Gardens on July 24, 2022 at 11:27 pm

Hi Mark ,I’ve learnt a lot on your channel. ✌👉

36. Noel Sowerby on July 24, 2022 at 11:29 pm

Good advice Mate.

37. Man Bites Dog Adventures on July 24, 2022 at 11:30 pm

🔥🔥🔥

38. Jenifer Acklin on July 24, 2022 at 11:31 pm

OK, SO I HAVE A LITTLE CATCHING UP TO GO. I AM BEHIND ON YOUR VIDEOS. CHRISTMAS HAD ME WATCHING BAKING VIDEOS AND I STOPPED GETTING NOTICES OF YOUR NEW VIDEOS. MISS SEEING YOU. HOPE YOU HAD A BLESSED CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR. I AM ENVIOUS OF YOUR ABILITY TO GARDEN, WHILE WE ARE HUNKERING DOWN FOR WINTER.

39. Nick4578 on July 24, 2022 at 11:31 pm

Morning is where everything’s at its best.

40. Josh Davis on July 24, 2022 at 11:31 pm

I live in Costa Rica and november marks the beginning of the windy/dry/sunny season so this helped me a lot. We normally don’t have any rain until April

41. Jonathan Cox on July 24, 2022 at 11:33 pm

good stuff mark……i am doing everything like you do…which is good then….i find kewks do a dying fly impersonation all the time and its easy to panic and just water them …when if i test them with my water meter they are actually wet…..i have failed before from over watering and over feeding and this year they are going really well…….when it gets evil hot i shade cloth them as well and my beans…..35+….love your vids.

42. T Paw on July 24, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Sorry missed you for awhile got into canning and prepping and I ran myself down. Keeping all in my prayers. Stay safe and well.

43. Caroline Middleton on July 24, 2022 at 11:36 pm

High night on the terps 😂😂 I love your videos x

44. S M on July 24, 2022 at 11:36 pm

…Can’t….STOP……watching…Marks……..Videos…..:D
    Really learning a lot from your videos Mark, they’ve given me awesome tips on tending to my newly planted herbs and greens etc. This ol’ gardening newbie…is grateful

45. Jennifer Kitchener on July 24, 2022 at 11:38 pm

I just love your Chanel, I have quite a good vegy garden going, but the seeds I have bought have a pretty low strike rate, I am using seed raising mix, and they are in a hot house, its not that hot in north east Vic, can you recommend a company that sells good quality vegy seeds. Thank you Jenny K

46. Jan Reed on July 24, 2022 at 11:39 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for doing this video I was having a problem with watering here in Perth. Will change my approach. By the way my raised veggie gardens are flourishing, shortly to have my first capsicum of some size I hope – its a yipee moment for me. I have learned a lot from your videos a must watch for me

47. robert abreu on July 24, 2022 at 11:39 pm

Great video mark! I’m surprised your allowed to go outside and water right now in Australia.

48. Carla Mullenberg on July 24, 2022 at 11:40 pm

Thanks for another great video Mark. I have started my first ever vegetable garden using the Birdie raised beds and I love them. I put in some seeds 10 days ago and I now have cucumbers, beans, beetroot, carrots and sunflowers coming up and the passionfruit I bought from my local nursery is going gang busters growing over a unused hills hoist thanks to all the rain we have received in the past 1 to 2 weeks (I am 45 mins south of Brisbane CBD). Once my veggies start producing what time of day is it best to harvest them? Should I do it first thing in the morning before I water or wait until the afternoon? Also, when planting out seedlings should they be planted after the heat of the day or early morning? Love the channel have been trying to binge watch segments and I now have a list of veggies/fruit/nut & ornamentals that I want to plant and I have to keep reminding myself baby steps.

49. Michael Garcia on July 24, 2022 at 11:40 pm

Mark i do the Midnight Bhyve Orbit Watering to prevent evaporation unfortunately i have no choice its all done remotely and if it rains during the day i skip the run. I am toally aware that very soon my dreams all the money i speant on those fruit trees and plants will be dashed by incompent Governments that can’t pipe water from Far North Qld you know Cairns and Mareeba etc.. all that torrents of water goes back into the GBR instead of being piped to the South East QLD. Very soon maybe Xmas a great Water Restrictions present is waiting i can’t wait 20 years since the last water restrictions event. thx for the tips anyway i think most of my plants survived the midnight water:).

50. Varun Mahaptra on July 24, 2022 at 11:42 pm

Hello,been a regular viewer of yours and your garden,and videos are amazing, and it’s truly beautiful but in your video’s probably due to camera the colours aren’t that beautiful , could you improve the video colouration,just a suggestion