5 Winter Tasks for a Productive Vegetable Garden Next Year | Permaculture Gardening

With the exception of building soil and getting beds ready for winter, here are the 5 key tasks I’m doing this winter to make sure I am all set for the next growing season in the vegetable garden. Winter is also an important time to rest, so make sure you give yourself a well-deserved break sometime over the next couple of months before returning back to the vegetable garden.

-Huw’s books-
Signed copies of my books: https://huwrichards.shop/

-Clothing-
Awesome clothing designed for vegetable gardeners: https://huwrichards.teemill.com/

-Online Courses-
More Food Less Effort Course: http://morefoodlesseffort.com/
Planting Plan Short Course: https://abundanceacademy.online/p/the-monthly-planting-plan

-Social-
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuwRichardsOfficial
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/huwsgarden/

#vegetablegardening #permaculture #winterjobs

1. Alan Oliver on July 26, 2022 at 10:55 pm

I’ve grown some veg in the past but I’m still new to it, just had 5 years without a garden, renovated a new house which has a large back garden, however I’m only allocated 1/4 of it for a veg plot, overload on you tube vids, move in next week, after Xmas make a start can’t wait.

2. Taxi Girl on July 26, 2022 at 10:57 pm

Lol, you call that winter??

3. Nassigataux Boudjane on July 26, 2022 at 10:58 pm

Need help? I’m at your servcie

4. Bernadette Garcia on July 26, 2022 at 10:58 pm

Over winter is the perfect time to revitalise poor tired soil, here in Australia the summer sun really takes its toll on the soil quality along with growing so winter is the best time to give the garden a break, add a truck load of manure, mulch well and let rest for a couple of months. The rain can then do the job of making sure those nutrients get in deep and it’ll be ready for spring planting

5. Alice Wonderland on July 26, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Hey Huw!
    Thanks for another nice video.
    I wonder always: „He grows amazing amounts of vegetable! Is he and his family all eating this themselves??“
    Of course, I think, you‘re going to preserve a lot of it for winter.
    If so, it would be nice to see, how you do that.
    My curious question: Do you also sell it to neighbours or so?

Best regards from Bavaria!🤗

6. sean thomson on July 26, 2022 at 11:02 pm

any tips on cauliflower, love it, but my first attempt was a spectacular failure

7. CLTserendipity on July 26, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Where did you get your oca starts? I’m in the U.S. (east coast) and don’t know of any sources. I’d love to try them, so please let me know where you got them. If you got them online, I’d really appreciate learning your source. Thank you.

8. mary Farrand on July 26, 2022 at 11:03 pm

Great plan! Especially with the size garden you have! New to your channel but I’m loving your content! Keep it up! Is the book still available?

9. Kelly Bolam on July 26, 2022 at 11:05 pm

We recently bought a small farm in upstate NY. This is our first Winter here farming. Follow our progress on indoor and then outdoor growing on Insta. sunhillcherryvalley we follow back too to increase our gardening knowledge.

10. Devin The Gardener on July 26, 2022 at 11:05 pm

Honestly love your videos. Honestly because of you I am soooooo excited for my next gardening season. I have learned so much.

11. Hey Mike on July 26, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Love your videos!! Here in Ontario my raised beds are already snow-covered but I’m keeping a couple things alive in the kitchen window like lettuce and lavender. One question I do have is where did you get your seed storage boxes!?!? I must get those! They look awesome!

12. IRAdulting on July 26, 2022 at 11:09 pm

I like cabbage, collards and celery. But the family likes tomatoes, cucumbers and beets a lot more. So I’m growing less cabbages, more kale, tomatoes and cucumbers.

I can spend easily several hours in the garden. Family wonders what else I could possibly work on for so long. Boy were they surprised when I pulled out my To Do List.

13. michael jeffries on July 26, 2022 at 11:09 pm

GREAT VID, YOUR GARDEN ALWAYS LOOKS SO NICE. HOPE YOU HAVE A LOVELY CHRISTMAS, MICK FROM SURREY.

14. Cat_With_Bad_Intentions on July 26, 2022 at 11:10 pm

my garden has recently had a problem with raccoons and o couldn’t bring myself to put up traps so now I feed raccoons on my porch every night so they leave my garden alone… but it works!!!!

15. Kendo 2 on July 26, 2022 at 11:10 pm

I overwinter my beds with mustard tatsoi. They make a thick ground cover you can eat as greens and you can turn them under a few months before planting the crops you really want to grow.
    Edit: As long as you don’t let them go to seed they won’t come back.

16. Scott Franson on July 26, 2022 at 11:14 pm

134,730 views•Dec 12, 2020 That’s Awesome. I want to make a Pitch for your book softcover. I think it would be Fun for anybody doing a home garden. The Journal was a very cool surprise.

17. orion lottering on July 26, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Wood rots and attract termites. Why dont you do your borders with concrete slabs and posts. They really are for-e-ver!!!

18. Blanca Estela Rivera on July 26, 2022 at 11:14 pm

Me encanta! Muchas gracias! 😃

19. Sabi Chaudhary on July 26, 2022 at 11:16 pm

I love gardening but I don’t know how to get land for gardening or farming .anybody have an idea? Please help me?

20. Wildlife in my Garden on July 26, 2022 at 11:17 pm

Some great tips, reminded me to start thinking about what to plant

21. Stephen Smith on July 26, 2022 at 11:18 pm

Everything is covered with 40cm. of snow. Not a lot to be done outside this season, but I am well up to date with the seeds!

22. Bruce Downunda on July 26, 2022 at 11:20 pm

Too much winter in Europe.

23. plants documentary on July 26, 2022 at 11:20 pm

Good information 👍

24. mikaceballos on July 26, 2022 at 11:22 pm

Transitioning from desert to UK climate here…learning about opposites…oh the gardening challenges we have…always exciting. Thanks for your tips!

25. Zhao Xiaoer on July 26, 2022 at 11:22 pm

Hello, I’m from China. My name is Zhao Zuyi. I saw your video on YouTube. nice to meet you.
    We mainly produce greenhouses for home use. Seeing your video, I think we can cooperate. I’ll send you pictures of our products. We look forward to your reply.

26. nlJ on July 26, 2022 at 11:22 pm

That’s neat, I just found a copy of The Lost Orchard in a shop the other day and bought it. Now I see it on your video.

27. Rosy Side Farm and Homestead on July 26, 2022 at 11:25 pm

So hard to get motivated in the cold weather but there’s work to be done.

28. Mandi Dittloff on July 26, 2022 at 11:26 pm

Hi Huw,
    How do I access the pdfs in your online course, Productive Planting Plan? I have paid for it and have access to the videos, but there are no pdfs? I have gone back and seen that is is a pre-purchase, available in January?? I have got in a bit too early maybe? Would love to get them, many thanks
    Mandi Dittloff

29. Michael Strickland on July 26, 2022 at 11:31 pm

One idea I plan to try out this year is a keyhole raised bed. I crunched some numbers on this. Two 4 x 8 beds, 1.5 feet apart, which are made into a keyhole raised bed increases the growing area by 9%, and the cost is about 12% less than for the two 4 x 8 beds. I was excited to find out this trivia, and look forward to seeing how such a bed works out where we live in Florida.

30. Colin Guthrie on July 26, 2022 at 11:31 pm

Planted about 6 different types of Oca which I bought Tom the real seed company…… (heartily recommend the Real Seed company and I particularly liked their Petrowski turnip and the Blue Bannabs squash is amazing.)…grew very well over the year in a raised bed and followed the instructions not to pick them early as they apparently double their weight in last month…. but despite various types of cooking I have to report them as being very pallid and nondescript when it came to eating….. I’m not surprised that history shows that our ancestors chose spuds over Oca…. interesting to note that Oca does not have mush in the way of calories unlike the spud…. however sure their is a market for fancy restaurants for this veg

31. Dan Rubin on July 26, 2022 at 11:31 pm

Brilliant, clear and useful. We will be linking this particular video as our “video of the week” at http://www.foodproducersforum.com. Thanks so much!

32. SunHippie Inc on July 26, 2022 at 11:32 pm

If you had a completely new piece of property that has not been worked for years but wanted to prep for the coming season through the winter, what would be your first thoughts/plans besides a soil test☺️

33. Leesa Sumner on July 26, 2022 at 11:37 pm

Hi Hue! Where do you live?

34. Sk Joe on July 26, 2022 at 11:38 pm

It is better to produce your own seeds to be independent

35. 35MM on July 26, 2022 at 11:38 pm

Oh yeah you gotta plan it out when you’re using raised beds for sure. If you go about it randomly you’ll inevitably run into some kinda issue.

36. Nicky Smith on July 26, 2022 at 11:40 pm

Greetings Huw, great idea doing a garden *check-up*. How about catching up with gardening friends as another point? Then we can compare notes and maybe do some seed or plant swaps as well. Maybe something that didn’t work for them may work fabulously in your garden. Great video, really enjoyed this ☺

37. Petals on the Paving Slabs on July 26, 2022 at 11:42 pm

I hope you have a great 2021 Huw, and thank you for all your videos – I learn a lot from watching you!

38. James England on July 26, 2022 at 11:42 pm

Hi Hew what variety of Fennel do you plant as I grow this for Rosemary, garlic, sage Porchetta ???

39. Emily Mock on July 26, 2022 at 11:42 pm

I would love to see how you replace the boards on a raised bed that needs replacing. I’ve got a raised bed that all four sides/boards need replacing. How do you do that without all the soil falling out?

40. 꽃중년 Fashion Gardening on July 26, 2022 at 11:42 pm

당신은 멋진 텃밭을 가꾸고 계십니다. 좋은 영상 보여주셔서 감사합니다. 제 채널에도 놀러오세요. 저는 꽃밭을 가꾸고 있어요.

41. 369 on July 26, 2022 at 11:43 pm

👍

42. Naila Ahmad on July 26, 2022 at 11:44 pm

Wow, this was a very helpful video. Just wondering how old wS your raised bed the ones that is rotting? Because I am looking into and trying to convince my husband to make me some.

43. Linda Chenoweth on July 26, 2022 at 11:45 pm

Love the way you organize things before hand. Really good advice! Thanks for sharing.

44. LY LAN VLOG on July 26, 2022 at 11:45 pm

so nicei like this video

45. Nepali Family UK on July 26, 2022 at 11:47 pm

Well planned garden and very informative vlog. I love gardening and started small raise bed gardening and vlog. I will adopt your great idea and hopefully I will better grow next year.

46. Margret Miller on July 26, 2022 at 11:49 pm

Hey are you related to Luke the MI Gargener?

47. Archie Dymoke on July 26, 2022 at 11:49 pm

Hey Huw, I learn a lot from your videos (still could watch more) and definitely don’t read all your comments but I follow a man, I think called Monty with a channel offering similar advice, I’m sure with aligning intention anyway, to inspire and provide experienced knowledge about sustainable gardening with more wholesome organic practises. The channel is called My Family Garden. He made a video today about all the racism he receives and started a hashtag to bring to bring to light the problems and pain it leaves deep in him and his children. The hashtag is #digitout. I think with your big following it’d be lovely to show you solidarity and support to a person like yourself but faces this sick prejudice. There’s times to use platforms to support people with similar goals. Just a hope and thought. Bless your videos too. #digitout

48. //\//\//\ film on July 26, 2022 at 11:49 pm

If you find an interesting fruit in the grocery store you can try planting seeds from it. Of course save seeds from any crop you plan to grow again. And you can share seeds with gardener friends!

49. LY LAN VLOG on July 26, 2022 at 11:50 pm

nice

50. belinda x on July 26, 2022 at 11:50 pm

Your videos have really helped me as a new allotment holder as I know little about growing veg. I have just received your book and it’s really inspired me to sort of think outside the box in using things that may just get land filled that I hadn’t thought of. Hopefully I will get my key to the plot this week and start some actual work instead of. Watching other people do it.