How to Build a Simple 4×8 Raised Garden Bed

How to Build a Simple 4×8 Raised Garden Bed

This simple, thrifty raised bed is a snap to assemble from three 8-foot boards that you can have cut to size at the home improvement store. It only takes a couple of hours to put together and is very affordable. Once you’ve made it, you’ll be ready to fill it up with your favorite Bonnie Plants vegetables and herbs!

For a list of tools and materials and a printable PDF building guide, visit https://bonnieplants.com/gardening/super-easy-4-x-8-raised-bed/

Download our free Homegrown app for iOS or Android to record, share, and improve your food growing skills at https://bonnieplants.com/app/

Shop and get more gardening tips at http://www.bonnieplants.com

Share your harvest and join the gardening conversation on social media 👩‍🌾👨‍🌾

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BonniePlants
Twitter: https://twitter.com/bonnieplants
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bonnieplants/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/bonnieplants

1. There She Grows on July 28, 2022 at 12:01 am

You do it this way, your garden will be full of weed. Lay down newspaper, or cardboard 1st.

2. simran lama on July 28, 2022 at 12:02 am

Life sucks. My cousin has started seeing a ten simply because 60 days back he registered to an internet site named Master Attraction (Google it if you desire to know more.) I’m so jealous because I wish to fall madly in love as well. I’m going to look into this Jake Ayres man’s stuff. Funny thing is, my friend once had Zero joy with women. How do you improve that rapidly? His girl’s a fucking model!

3. Bernard Kiely on July 28, 2022 at 12:02 am

The chemicals in treated lumber will get into the soil and then into the food and ten into you.

4. Leslie Hollands on July 28, 2022 at 12:03 am

Miracle-Gro is a nasty chemical fertilizer full of salts. Synthetic fertilizers KILL THE SOIL.  I use 50/50 Topsoil/Compost from a landscape company.

5. EatThePlant on July 28, 2022 at 12:07 am

Nice video. I made my first one late last year. Made mine kinda large (12ft x 5ft x 12in). I love to see vegetables go from seed to fully mature food. Please check out my video of the garden progress on my channel. Please leave a post and like it if it looks good. Thanks.

6. Bernard Kiely on July 28, 2022 at 12:08 am

I cannot believe you are growing vegitable in a raised bed made out of TREATED lumber!

7. TheFrugal Gardener on July 28, 2022 at 12:11 am

You are so right. It was banned in 2003.

8. Chris Arnini on July 28, 2022 at 12:12 am

Don’t know anyone that would recommend pressure treated wood, that has chemicals in it, to be used for anything growing food or herbs. Swap it out with cedar or even regular old pine. The pine might not last as long but you don’t have to worry about what might have leeched.

9. bowenrichardc on July 28, 2022 at 12:20 am

Do not use green treated wood due to chemicals found in wood such as arsenic

10. williamsea10 on July 28, 2022 at 12:23 am

Pressure treated wood for a raised bed IS on another youtube video from Harrodhorticultural from England. But then they don’t have health standards and protection there, like we do. People get sick all the time from their inferior health standards on things like this, faulty wiring in houses, the list goes on and on. England is a terrible place to live and apparently to buy their pre-made raised beds.

11. williamsea10 on July 28, 2022 at 12:29 am

Also, adding a top board that is a bit wider would be nice to sit on or rest your hand or arm, while weeding.

12. wayne strickland on July 28, 2022 at 12:32 am

This is a great idea, now I know what I can do with this extra wood I have. Thanks for sharing it.

13. JonFrumTheFirst on July 28, 2022 at 12:32 am

There is no wood being sold at retail outlets that has arsenic in it. Arsenic treated wood for household use was outlawed eight years ago in the United States. But it goes on being sold in the mind of YouTube commenters.

14. THSurvivalGear on July 28, 2022 at 12:35 am

I notice that y’all used pine needles for the mulch… This will usually lower the pH of soil, making it acidic. What effect if any has this had on your plants in your research gardens?

15. williamsea10 on July 28, 2022 at 12:35 am

You could add brackets on the outside corners, to reinforce the box from bending out of shape with time and pressure from dirt and watering.

16. Romaine Athey on July 28, 2022 at 12:38 am

Thousands of lifetime projects with Woodprix plans.

17. Mel Hardee on July 28, 2022 at 12:40 am

Easy work to do, I have 9 different veggies in mine and also seedless watermelons.

18. smokeyab920 on July 28, 2022 at 12:42 am

is that pine straw good for a garden or is it too much acid.

19. Janaka Panduka on July 28, 2022 at 12:44 am

My fat nephew was able to make the best pole dancer I’ve seen in my life fall in love with him as he ran the Cupid Love System (Google it). I wish I’d been happy for him but I want such a hot woman to fall for me. I am really jealous. Does that mean I’m a terrible human being?

20. staudtj1 on July 28, 2022 at 12:46 am

I used to be in the lumber business and I don’t know anyone that would certify treated lumber to be in contact with soils for growing vegetables that are meant to be eaten.

21. John Varish on July 28, 2022 at 12:49 am

save yourself some time and line the bottom of the raised bed with a couple layers of cardboard or newspaper.

22. MeatSockPuppet on July 28, 2022 at 12:50 am

Oh yes, the fact someone has a pressure treated raised bed on their youtube must equate to terrible practices throughout an entire country. I mean, forget the fact EU has better food safety than America, and UK has best in EU while you guys are still cramming GMO down your throat. Not to mention the ridiculously low Chinese friendly prices you guys pay for just about anything in Mao-mart, but yeah youre the best, thumbs up

23. Michaela on July 28, 2022 at 12:51 am

Which stores will cut lumber to size?

24. MBS1995 on July 28, 2022 at 12:53 am

I’m relatively new to what you just said…
    i grew squash, pumpkins, corn, watermelon, and string beans directly in the ground but I want to build a raised bed this time its neater and i want to put a fence around it to keep the racoons out but my question is

why cant vegetables be grown inside of a lumber bed?
    what kind of wood do you recommend?

25. williamsea10 on July 28, 2022 at 12:55 am

The 4 foot planks might make weeding a bit hard with stretching yourself over the bed. Maybe a tad shorter would be easier for that.

26. TheFrugal Gardener on July 28, 2022 at 12:56 am

Wood treated with chromated copper arsenate (CCA), also known as arsenic, has not been available for residential use in 10 years. I think it’s safe to use pressure treated wood.

27. kagiati kwee on July 28, 2022 at 12:58 am

Life sucks. My friend has begun going out with a ten basically because 2 months back he signed up to an internet site called Master Attraction (Google it if you want to know more.) I’m so jealous because I want to fall in love as well. I’m gonna have a look at this Jake Ayres guy’s material. Bizarre point is, my friend once had Zero good fortune with girls. How could you change that rapidly? His girl’s a banging model…