How to Make a Wildlife Barrel Pond

How to Make a Wildlife Barrel Pond

Gardening For Wildlife – In this video we look at how simple it is to make a mini wildlife pond or wildlife barrel. We will look at the best plants to use, how to plant your pond and the best way to maintain it. We will also look at what animals you can expect to find visiting.

#GardenPond #WildlifePond #BarrelPond #Pond #PondMaking #SmallPondIdeas #MiniPond #ButterflyBrothers #Garden #Gardendesign #GardenIdeas #Gardening #Gardens #Wildlifegarden #WildYourGarden #WildGarden #PondforWildlife #Wildlife #Frogs #Newts #Tadpoles #Dragonflies #Damselflies #WaterBoatmen #PondSkater #Iris #Oxygenators #Oxygenator #Plantsforponds #Pondplants #Hornwort #Spikedwatermilfoil #FloweringRush #WaterLily #Lily #Liliesforponds #BirdBath #Fibreopticplant #WhiskyBarrel #Chromatella #Nymphaea

1. Kim Brown on July 29, 2022 at 11:44 pm

So inspired by your easy to understand video. Thank you and can’t wait to create one.

2. Waveney Marsters on July 29, 2022 at 11:44 pm

Why have u never thought about the stick escape 🤦‍♀️ THANK YOU

3. Liz on July 29, 2022 at 11:45 pm

So I just watched this video and do have a question…
    The barrelpond doesn’t seem to have flowing water… isn’t that going to create a problem? Like stink or rot?
    I’d love to hear peoples experiences with barrelponds 🙂

4. Some Potato on July 29, 2022 at 11:46 pm

I’ve only found your brilliant channel after setting up my balcony pond. But turns out, it fits your advice quite well. Marsh marigold, water forget-me-not & marsh cinquefoil in the back, a yellow iris a little deeper in the water, small white water lily (Nymphaea tetragona) and european frog-bit for coverage and of course hornwort. I don’t expect many newts or frogs on my balcony, but the insects, snails and (not exactly wildlife) medaka quite like it. With the fish in there, I put an extra layer of small lava rock at the bottom to increase the surface area for bacteria.

5. Sheila England on July 29, 2022 at 11:47 pm

Does the barrel need to be rinsed/cleaned/treated in any way, besides putting water in it , before starting? I’ve always wanted to do this but unsure if there may be toxins.

6. Call me the Breeze on July 29, 2022 at 11:47 pm

What about mosquitoes problems?

7. Ellen Forrester on July 29, 2022 at 11:48 pm

What is the best time of year to create the barrel pond please?

8. James Taylor on July 29, 2022 at 11:49 pm

Is your compost what we call potting soil in the US? Good video. I’ll put on on my deck. Thanks.

9. Fevkin Venn on July 29, 2022 at 11:52 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed watching that and when I get my garden up to scratch, that will be the next thing I do

10. DD Gamble on July 29, 2022 at 11:53 pm

Very interesting. Would you please list your location? Also ditch the mindless, annoying mucic. It was impossible to hear you clearly.

11. Siobhan Kennings on July 29, 2022 at 11:54 pm

With all of these plants in, can a few fish be added? I’ve sourced a barrel 3 foot across and 2 foot deep, I am so excited to get the plants!

12. KAE on July 29, 2022 at 11:58 pm

Would this work with a plastic planter? I wouldn’t see why not but thought I would ask. Cheers

13. JFoz on July 29, 2022 at 11:59 pm

This is great can’t wait to make my own 👏

14. Sheila England on July 30, 2022 at 12:00 am

This will be my next project, but I know someone will mention to me that it will attract more mosquitos. 🙁
    I heard in a conversation that neighbors will continue spraying; they are complaining & worrying about the mosquitoes, and mosquito bites. They mentioned getting the bites are worse in mine and my adjacent neighbor’s yard.. These are people who I really like, and are fully aware of the effect it has on so many things .I’m not really bothered by the mosquitos much, but I know my husband and daughter get wicked bites. I have lovely ‘lightening bugs’ in the yard every evening.

15. Leo Horishny on July 30, 2022 at 12:00 am

My wine barrel pond is doing well, but do you have suggestions for mosquito abatement, other than adding fish?

16. Carly Welsh on July 30, 2022 at 12:00 am

Hello, I’ve recently made one of these following your instructions but it’s become murky and my lily is looking like it’s dying? It’s also full of mosquito larvae. Any advice please? 🐸🪷

17. prestocran on July 30, 2022 at 12:02 am

Is there a way to increase the volume on this? Thank you.

18. John Huang on July 30, 2022 at 12:02 am

What do you do when it’s winter and forming ice? Would you have to drain the barrel out or mostly drain it?

19. Bar Gil on July 30, 2022 at 12:03 am

Having watched your videos I was inspired about a month ago to convert an old tin bath and a half whisky barrel into wildlife ponds. I’ve added quite a few plants at various depths, including oxygenators and a small water lily that’s just establishing. I’ve added solar fountain to each one to add interest. I’m enjoying these water features BUT I’ve noticed massive!!! numbers of mosquito larvae! What can I do to eradicate or at least decrease the numbers. The water is literally swarming with them and I’m noticing more adult mosquitos in the house now.

20. Christian on July 30, 2022 at 12:03 am

Fantastic channel. Have a very similar barrel prepped and ready to go. I’ve been wondering whether there’s an alternative to installing bricks for elevation to free up space in the pond. I was thinking either pond safe adhesive or hollowed out square planters so they act more like a four legged underwater pillar. Any suggestions welcome!

21. James Taylor on July 30, 2022 at 12:04 am

Would you change anything to add fish? Thanks

22. Sheila England on July 30, 2022 at 12:09 am

Quick question; when I finally get around to putting together my barrel garden, what kind of spot might be ideal? I have a mix of shade and some sunny areas, but by the afternoon there is mostly shade. I live in the suburbs, in the US, and thankfully I think my next door neighbor has finally stopped having their yard sprayed for mosquitoes.🥺. I have lots of birds and a few bird boxes, and I know a box turtle lives somewhere in the yard. Plus, a black rat snake, occasional raccoon, Fox, opossum, squirrels, chipmunks, etc…

23. Lizard Man on July 30, 2022 at 12:10 am

How would u keel this forming becoming a mosquito nesting ground

24. DaddyExplorerOz on July 30, 2022 at 12:12 am

Hi Joel, with no movement in the water, will it not start to smell with time and have algae?

25. Gienne Farcais on July 30, 2022 at 12:13 am

I made one and it’s already attracting dragonflies, the likes of which I have never seen. One was fire-engine red – found out later it’s called a red darter. It scared me at first, I thought it was one of those new killer hornets or some such. Haven’t seen any wildlife but the regular birds seem to enjoy it, and I love the variety of plants with their cool names – lizard’s tail, horsetail reeds, corkscrew rush, hornworts!

26. Joshua Kearsley on July 30, 2022 at 12:14 am

Hi. Thanks for the videos. Your channel is great. I’m sorry if this is explained in the video and I missed it, but what sort of maintenance is required for this? I’ve seen anecdotal reports of people ending up with rancid barrels of foul liquid acting as more of a biohazard than wildlife haven!

27. Melissa Sheridan on July 30, 2022 at 12:14 am

I have heard that you have to soak the wine barrel for a long time to get the tannins out, or put plastic pond liner. At least if you want to put fish in there.

28. Александра Лебедева on July 30, 2022 at 12:15 am

HI Joel!

Thank you for the video, just have a question though. We have all the plants in (only ones we are waiting for is the floating plants) but for some reason the water have become quite cloudy/merky. We have three different oxygenators in there so wondered if you had any idea what might be causing this? Or will it become less cloudy over time?

Thank you!

29. Pavel_ S-z on July 30, 2022 at 12:15 am

DIY 🦟 🦟🦟🦟🦟 🦟 FARM

30. Hayley McLoughlin on July 30, 2022 at 12:16 am

Hi Joel, thanks for the video! Set my barrel pond up 2 weeks ago using tips from your video but I’ve just noticed mosquito larvae (I’m in Ireland). There are lots of birds drinking & bathing in the pond but they don’t seem to be eating the larvae. Is there anything I could add to reduce the larvae?

31. margaret fry on July 30, 2022 at 12:17 am

Purple loosestrife is banned here as highly invasive

32. prism on the Horizon on July 30, 2022 at 12:18 am

3:50

33. Alex Stryczko on July 30, 2022 at 12:19 am

Very useful but sound guality is not loud enough & not helped by unnecessary background music. Please buck the trend of this music, it doesn’t add anything. I want to hear you.

34. kittenpawsbb on July 30, 2022 at 12:20 am

Wonderful. Luv all the clear steps and materials listed to make this pond. I really want a small pond, and I thought I would be way more complicated and expensive. Thank you 🤗🌱

35. cryzz0n on July 30, 2022 at 12:20 am

Love your videos, so informative and inspiring. We started gardening to attract birds and bees and after watching you we thought we might as well’ go the whole hog’ and try to attract other wildlife also. We’ve already put in a small prefabricated wildlife pond after watching you build a (bigger) one, at the bottom end of the garden and now, after watching this, went out and bought a barrel and some more plants for nearer the house so we can hopefully enjoy watching other little creatures. Can’t wait till summer to see what comes along. BTW, was talking to the man in the garden centre today and he was saying there has been a huge jump over the last year in the number of people buying ponds and plants so that’s encouraging. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more videos by you.

36. japanblonde on July 30, 2022 at 12:26 am

Today I bought most of the items, tommorow I ll finish. Cant wait😁😁❤️

37. Irma Bronder on July 30, 2022 at 12:31 am

Starting one barrel pond next week. This video was very helpful. I hope to attract a lot of different animals. Much love.

38. Henry James on July 30, 2022 at 12:31 am

This is my dream job and im sitting in an office… wrong career path.
    Can you do an update on the pond? Would love to see how the plants have developed!

39. PoptheBubble ChartLeaks on July 30, 2022 at 12:31 am

Is morning sun afternoon shade enough sun for a container pond in an arid climate? Shade sets in about 3:30. Thank you so much for teaching us so many things to help wildlife and each other.

40. LTyrell on July 30, 2022 at 12:32 am

I have a barrel pond which I planted many years ago with a dwarf water lily and apart from some blanket weed that needs clearing every few months, it has survived and flowers every year, would be nice to have more lily flowers but I suppose it’s not got that much room, we had some frogspawn in it last year too 🙂

41. Gaziano Outdoors on July 30, 2022 at 12:32 am

This makes it look so easy, I’m definitely going to give a small barrel pond a go 👍atb

42. Leo Horishny on July 30, 2022 at 12:32 am

Sorry to pester you. I understand there are differences in the UK and the US, but I’d welcome comments you could offer in regards transplanting specimens of native wetland plants into one’s pond/water feature.
    Specifically, water quality, pathogens, possibly soil contaminants? I am thinking of introducing native plants, but I’m aware the water quality they might be in is likely not always healthy. In those instances do you recommend washing off existing soil and transplanting w/clean media, or will removing a quantity of contaminated soil into a clean water body eventually dissipate/dilute harmful organisms over time? This also relates to concerns about pet exposure to water features, ie drinking or jumping in.🤔

43. Allie on July 30, 2022 at 12:33 am

Hi Joel, love this I have just created a wild flower patch at the top of my garden and am enjoying creating things for wildlife. I am going to add a barrel pond soon, with excess alcohol do you leave the water in for a length of time each time so it soaks into the barrel to help get rid of it?

44. Leo Horishny on July 30, 2022 at 12:34 am

I haven’t seen anyone in the major pond service channels discuss various hazards to pets, from certain plants, or possibly certain water conditions, have you done something about those concerns in the past? It would be appreciated if not!

45. Craig Turner on July 30, 2022 at 12:37 am

Your barrel looks like it was torched in a previous life, the result of whisky making perhaps?. Would charring, and any prior whisky/sherry manufacture for that matter, not contaminate the water – in which case should there not be a pond liner on the inside? If this barrel hasn’t been torched or used for whisky/sherry and the like, then what is the black colouration?👍 🤔

46. Kendall on July 30, 2022 at 12:37 am

You mentioned that blanket weed prefers warm water. I live in Florida, and we have weather over 80 degrees (27 degrees Celsius) 6 months out of the year, and almost all of my yard is sunny. Do you think I would have difficulty maintaining a barrel pond under those conditions?

47. Melanie Troutman on July 30, 2022 at 12:40 am

anyone have any ideas on how to reduce mosquitos from making their home here? mine is getting full of larvae so fast.

48. Shari Bachmann on July 30, 2022 at 12:42 am

I love your work and Sir
    David Attenborough. He is my hero

49. 99shoebox on July 30, 2022 at 12:43 am

can I just say I found the music distracting and unnecessary. thanks.

50. Jo Heanley on July 30, 2022 at 12:43 am

Thanks so much, Joel, for this video. Brilliantly explained. One question, would it be possible to add a solar fountain? I mainly all just because I love the sound of a fountain 🙂