Build Raised Garden Beds (19” Deep!)

Build Raised Garden Beds (19” Deep!)

AFFILIATE LINKS FOR TOOLS:
Dewalt 10″ Table Saw:
Dewalt 12″ Miter Saw:
Makita 7-1/4″ Circular Saw:
Porter Cable 18 ga. Brad Nailer:
Dewalt 4-gal Wet/Dry Vac:
Dewalt Drill/Driver Combo:
Occidental Fat Lip Tool Belt:
Occidental Tool Belt Harness:

(These are affiliate links. When you shop through these links, we receive a small commission at NO EXTRA CHARGE TO YOU. We greatly appreciate the support!)

FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM:

For more EXTERIOR HOME PROJECTS, check out our video links below!
Repair Leaning Fences:

Replace Deck Boards:

Repair Adirondack Chairs:

Replace Deck Handrails:

Repair Trim Rot (Skirt Boards):

This video from The Honest Carpenter will show you how to construct extremely strong, DEEP raised garden beds. These are two-board garden beds made from 2x10s, so they’re nearly 20″ deep. Please note, however, that I have constructed these beds out of treated lumber at the client’s request–I’ve included some warning information about treated lumber in the video. (Feel free to weigh in with more info about treated lumber in the comment section if you know about the topic.)

Tool List:
Circular Saw or Miter Saw
Table Saw (optional)
Drill/Driver
Drill Bits
Tape Measure
Speed Square

Material List:
3″ Exterior Screws
2″ Exterior Screws
2×10 Lumber (width optional)
5/4 Deck Board

How-To:
1) Square up the ends of your new boards
2) Measure and cut components for your raised garden bed dimensions
3) Diagonal rip corner braces (optional)
4) Rip deck board pieces for center braces (optional)
5) Miter ends of braces for appearance (optional) and cut to length
6) Construct lower level of raised garden beds on level surface preferably: pre-drill through boards at slight angle, set 3″ fasteners (4 per outer corner)
7) Install corner braces on inner corners. Set fasteners at angles to grab boards on both sides of corner
8) Move raised garden beds into place if necessary
9) Construct second level of raised garden beds similar to first. Use standing corner braces for support
10) Attach corner braces to inner corners of upper level
11) Use speed square and drill to align and attach center braces along inner wall of raised garden beds

For more tips, articles and tool links, be sure to check out The Honest Carpenter website!

1. Joe Andersen on July 31, 2022 at 12:13 am

I just found your channel and I think that you are excellent information.
    I have been a carpenter for over 44 years.

2. gladiator22666 on July 31, 2022 at 12:14 am

Tantalised timber is used widely in all types of construction. Garden centres sell planters ready made from treated timber also garden buildings and children’s climbing frames . I’ve used rough sawn treated timber to make a cabin in the past because it gives a good effect and should last . I guess as the consumer we should trust that the wood is safe to use . There must be thousands of pieces of treated timber used every day …..there is always a shortage in our local depot lol.
    I’ve worked with wood for 40 years , initially doctors said don’t worry about wood dust it’s natural and passes through your body ……..then a few years later they say wood dust is carcinogenic, wear a mask ! If you purchase untreated wood for a project you will have to treat it with something……check out the health and safety on the tin …….it’s probably more dangerous than getting treated timber in the first place 👍

3. Jeff Burris on July 31, 2022 at 12:19 am

I use cedar picket fence 6 foot planks

4. EZE GQFOURU on July 31, 2022 at 12:19 am

Question is who are they sharing their food with and who are they trying to kill. treated lumber, food poisoning slow release.

5. JoelX on July 31, 2022 at 12:21 am

I used 1"*6" cedar in 8 foot sections. $5 a board even now with April 2021 high prices. Each box is 8 feet long and 4 feet wide and 1 foot tall. I used 2*4 scraps for the braces (one at each corner and in the middle). No chemical leaching, long lasting because cedar resists rot, and plenty strong.

6. epicblasta764 on July 31, 2022 at 12:21 am

You can fill planters with branches, small logs ( yard waste ) on the bottom, then add the soil. Over years they will all decompose. Much cheaper than filling the entire box with soil! Over the years you will add on top , hay, spent barley, fish bone meal etc, whatever is nearby in the fall which will breakdown over winter. You can even leave stalks, leaves until spring. There are a ton of no till gardening farming videos out there.

7. MrFreeride1113 on July 31, 2022 at 12:22 am

Look in to patio blocks for the corners. A million times easier. No nails or screws.

8. Truth Space on July 31, 2022 at 12:23 am

Think about this. If copper readily leached from the wood, then it wouldn’t be much good for ground contact lumber.

9. Michael on July 31, 2022 at 12:24 am

Great trusted article for gardeners deciding about raised beds.

10. Marse Kingsberry on July 31, 2022 at 12:25 am

Thanks Ethan for sharing this video.

11. npvora on July 31, 2022 at 12:26 am

Great vid, not short of detail so many thanks, making my own this weekend using the C24 47mmx200mm stacked 3 high.

12. gsf67 on July 31, 2022 at 12:27 am

I’m from New Zealand, and I think that we developed the ccc treatment back in the 1950’s, and then sold this treatment to the rest of the world. We call this tanalised timber, we still use this timber, although the chemical or concentration of copper, arsenic has been reduced somewhat. I understood that treated timber has been banned in Canada and the US.

13. Sue’s Urban Garden on July 31, 2022 at 12:28 am

Yea when I got my treated wood I was told that they no longer use arsenic and it’s been that way for years now.

14. John Miller on July 31, 2022 at 12:30 am

Personally, I don’t use pressure treated lumber if I’m growing something I’m gonna eat, same with boiled linseed oil, they use harmful chemicals to boil it

15. Joe Andersen on July 31, 2022 at 12:30 am

Please do a show on termites and termite damage.
    And possibly how to get rid of cockroaches.
    This is good to know in the house flipping business.

16. Dovid Housman on July 31, 2022 at 12:32 am

Use a pneumatic nailer!
    This video should be called how to drive fasteners into dimensional lumber.

17. Cory Driver on July 31, 2022 at 12:33 am

Can composite deck lumber be used in contact with soil? Do you think it would work in this application?

18. David Aubin on July 31, 2022 at 12:33 am

Great job, great tips. Thank you

19. Blayne on July 31, 2022 at 12:36 am

Looks great. But with the price of lumber today, the price of these will be steep!

20. Isaac Cowan on July 31, 2022 at 12:38 am

Soil in different places can have different properties (acidic, base, different components). Here near the Rockies, there’s actually radioactive soil from the afore mentioned "Rockies". Ask a local agricultural extension service. In general though , use a "ground contact" lumber (there is a specific kind) for your first layer, and line the beds with special soil contact fabrics. They last longer than plastic, and you wouldn’t believe how much plastic will "leach" or kick off except for "food grade". Most plants are great "filters" in and of themselves. All types of plants are composed of all types of very complex chemicals, and some are known to produce some of the most poisonous compounds around (don’t eat tree bark is a good general rule, some is ok, some is, well dangerous). With all our "processed food" and dangerous products, our life expectancy is now in the eighties, not the mid forties.

21. david hudson on July 31, 2022 at 12:39 am

Treated Lumber is treated with copper and it is FDA approved for gardening use.

22. Joseph Saroce on July 31, 2022 at 12:39 am

I love this..exactly what I wanted in size height…I’ll be making this soon
    Thanks!

23. David Kutas on July 31, 2022 at 12:45 am

Great content and video! And super relevant to the season

24. Maxima on July 31, 2022 at 12:47 am

Nice vid

25. Alan Kauth on July 31, 2022 at 12:49 am

A plastic lining is a good idea just to make the wood last longer and maybe for less moisture absorption by the wood. However, the plastic will decay in time. Various colleges and agricultural extensions have said using this treated lumber is fine and have tested it very extensively. While they show it does leach some at the very edges, it is very barely measurable. Even more importantly, the “leached” soils contain less chemical than naturally occurs in soils in nature. So your natural soil can be more “poisonous” than the soil next to a ground contact treated board.

Of course, the natural soil is not poisonous, I am just saying the chemicals these boards leach are often much higher in natural soil and what this is being added from these treated boards is beneath negligible. Just barely technically measurable for the outside couple inches.

26. Starr Stroh on July 31, 2022 at 12:53 am

Hi. I think you need to take some time and take a quick tour of woodprix website to find out how to do this.

27. Rob Graham on July 31, 2022 at 12:56 am

I used pressure treated lumber in my raised beds. no chemicals but still has some longevity

28. Jane goodall the kneegrow whisperer Powell. on July 31, 2022 at 12:59 am

Can I use a cheap skill saw circular saw to build raised beds?

29. Smiley McCabe on July 31, 2022 at 12:59 am

its less practical for client work, but I use pressure treated on my own garden beds. i leave em in the garage on racks to dry out first then cut pieces to sizer and coat every single square inch with a good opaque deck stain for extra protection, have some acq ground contact rated beds that are 10 years old and look like the day they were put in . several soil exchanges in them and the insides have zero rot

30. David Williams on July 31, 2022 at 1:02 am

We used redwood for our raised beds and lined not with plastic but with roofing tar for a moisture control! Nice work there!

31. Edward Conley on July 31, 2022 at 1:02 am

Very helpful, thanks for the extra "tips".

32. Old Guy on July 31, 2022 at 1:04 am

I contacted Yellowwood about the chemical they use for treatment,,,The reply I got back was it was safe,,,,They also stated if I were concerned about planting veggies in the raised beds to line the raised beds with 6 mil plastic,,, Although it wasn’t required,,,Nice looking beds ,,, Thanks for the details,,,Best Regards

33. Ed on July 31, 2022 at 1:05 am

Line it wit plastic is a good idea the wood will probably last longer.

34. skkfor on July 31, 2022 at 1:07 am

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience. I greatly appreciate the tip about driving a fastener into end grain at an angle. I tried it -indeed, it has a LOT more "grab" than just going straight in! Hopefully, the better holding power will keep the centers of my boards from cupping and backing the screws out over time. Many thanks -and take care, man!