12 Perfect Vegetables To Grow in a Shady Garden Space

12 Perfect Vegetables To Grow in a Shady Garden Space

Order or pre-order EPIC raised beds for your garden: https://shop.epicgardening.com/ When we think of vegetable gardening, we’re often convinced that FULL SUN is the only way we’ll be successful. This couldn’t be more wrong! There are plenty of shade friendly plants that will thrive in 2-5 hours of sun.

On top of that, there are some plants that won’t LOVE being in shade, but will TOLERATE it, which allows you to squeeze out even more harvests from spaces you might typically ignore in your garden.

IN THIS VIDEO

The links below mostly link to the EG store, where we stock best-in-class garden products and our team ships them directly to your doorstep. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases as well.

→ GreenStalk Vertical Tower (Code EPIC for $10 off): http://lddy.no/fujw

→ TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@epicgardening
→ Discord Server: https://discord.gg/cuXxvKRwKN
→ FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epicgardening/
→ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/epicgardening
→ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/epicgardening

DISCLAIMER

Epic Gardening occasionally links to goods or services offered by vendors to help you find the best products to care for plants. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. More info on our process: https://www.epicgardening.com/disclaimer/

1. Peter Hutchison on August 3, 2022 at 12:16 am

Any advice on using shade cloth in a sub-tropical area?

I live in South Africa on the eastern coastal side – about 15 Km as the crow flies from the shoreline.
    Gentle winds mostly, temp. ranges from 17 to 40 deg. C, depending on season and time of day.
    Generally higher humidity and for about 3 – 4 months in the year very high humidity – think 70 – 90% at that time.
    Minimum humidity about 40% approx.
    I have an enclosed vegetable garden (to keep the vervet monkeys out.
    Problem is that also keeps a lot of pollinators out.
    So my question is: "What % shade cloth should I be using".
    Space is about 4m wide and about 7 m long.
    Comments appreciated.

Thank you for an informative channel.

2. Trish Collier on August 3, 2022 at 12:17 am

If you move your plants when they are growing so that they get better light, wouldn’t that "shock" the plants, like when you move a houseplant?

3. Peter Hutchison on August 3, 2022 at 12:19 am

Due to the sub tropical climate here I grow most of my veggies in the very late summer to very early summer times.
    Otherwise they just bolt to seed due to heat , high humidity and rain.
    So I actually get the best results in WINTER ! However in winter we do not get much (if any) rain, so they need regular watering and here in South Africa that can be a problem. Even more so now with the climate changes we are experiencing right now.
    Extremes in all directions.
    Slightly inland South East coastal region.

4. zach richardson on August 3, 2022 at 12:22 am

Hahaha Kevin… I have been watching you for sometime now and I just realized where you live. Lol. I grew up the next block toward the ocean from you. Love that town. It will always have a place in my heart. 1502

5. A McMillan on August 3, 2022 at 12:25 am

Wow now I know why my peas died and my spinach had struggled. Too much South FL sun. The peas didn’t even sprout! But the spinach popped up and then it’s been sort of stagnant. I don’t want to bring the pot inside now since it’s got some tiny mites or something living in there. But I’ve moved it to a shadier spot.

6. Jen G on August 3, 2022 at 12:27 am

Wow, your yard is right on the street! I’m surprised your garden doesn’t get raided on the nightly.

7. Heidi Norman on August 3, 2022 at 12:28 am

Definitely a good, informative video, thank you. 🙂

8. Zachary H on August 3, 2022 at 12:28 am

I’m about to start my first garden. It will be a shade garden but I’m in houston. Humid and hot. So things like watering less isn’t going to work. The excessive heat means more watering. How about a video on gardening in humid sunny and humid shady areas.

9. linsilu2 on August 3, 2022 at 12:29 am

Thanks so much for this wisdom! A friend of mine gave me some unwanted plants and one of them was a type of basil 🌿 it tastes like a mix of basil and mint! It’s delicious and SO fragrant. Have you come across this before? Do you know what it’s called? I absolutely LOVE it, it’s my most favourite herb ever! 🪴

10. Barbara van der Kolk on August 3, 2022 at 12:31 am

We eat Endice a lot here in Holland. We eat it with mashed patatoes, really delicious!

11. Rose Woy on August 3, 2022 at 12:32 am

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! You covered so many plants; THANK YOU SO, SO, SO MUCH. We use your videos ALL THE TIME and all the information is just RIGHT ON! KEEP THE VIDEOS COMING BECAUSE YOU HAVE WONDERFUL INFORMATION!

12. Kathphlox on August 3, 2022 at 12:33 am

Thank you for acknowledging our UK ‘Herb’ pronunciation. It annoys us Brits when you say ERBS because it’s a French affectation from when it was considered ‘cool’ to speak French. It’s not cool, it’s ridiculous. The French even chop of consonants from the ends of every word, don’t you find that weird. Why do they do that?

13. Jackie Toth on August 3, 2022 at 12:35 am

Thank you for sharing, I didn’t start a garden due to a mostly shaded yard.

14. 樹朱 程 on August 3, 2022 at 12:39 am

Together good : Namo amitabha!

15. dunken27 on August 3, 2022 at 12:39 am

Loving your content and how you come across with the info….could i use a Mirror in the to reflect Sunlight to a shady part of the Garden? Would that work?

16. carmell51 on August 3, 2022 at 12:39 am

I am 70 and have been. I have been gardening for a while. You taught me. Especially about why my cilantro always gets burned up! I love the tip about garden Onions

17. Betty Slacker on August 3, 2022 at 12:40 am

I would love some tips on starting to compost. Or reading material on composting.

18. Ric's Garden on August 3, 2022 at 12:40 am

I decided to video my garden this year. Its a traditional garden with lots of weeds and grass but made tons of food.

19. GlizzyGobler on August 3, 2022 at 12:41 am

started recently and i have a few small pots which i can move from my window which has sun from sunrise to mid day and then i can move them outside and then they get sun until 7pm and they’re loving it.

20. Michael W. Henze on August 3, 2022 at 12:42 am

I’m a little jealous of you because of the loquat tree. Having been born in Bermuda as a young boy I enjoyed the fruit of my Grandfather’s four loquat trees. Luckily Grandpa came to the conclusion that his low yield was due to birds.
    Having retired here in Florida it was to my dismay the Socialists of the Property Board have established rules that forbids fruit trees in common areas to avoid rodent populations!

21. Epic Gardening on August 3, 2022 at 12:45 am

Like this if you want me to do a list of veggies and herbs you can grow indoors

22. Jackie Toth on August 3, 2022 at 12:48 am

The cilantro seeds are used in Asian cooking, like Thai BBQ, Larb(lap),& chicken Pho.
    The flowers are beautiful and for the Bee’s 😍

23. Mr. Magoo on August 3, 2022 at 12:48 am

Great video. Can I grow cucumbers full time in a shaded carport?

24. david hayward on August 3, 2022 at 12:48 am

Escarole is great in Caldo Gallego, a Spanish soup that my wife and her family make. I love it, Definitely going to plant some now

25. JESSICA on August 3, 2022 at 12:50 am

What do you plant if you have no sun

26. Korey Smith on August 3, 2022 at 12:52 am

In Australia we too say as it is spelt… Herbs, 😁

27. babiesdontgoclang on August 3, 2022 at 12:53 am

I live in a 7a zone so it gets pretty hot in the summer and my parsley has consistently done better in partial shade, both container and in the ground. Always using transplants though like you said.

28. Edith Nicole on August 3, 2022 at 12:54 am

Very helpful thank you. Do you have any suggestions for productive perennials?

29. Ricky Lu on August 3, 2022 at 12:55 am

Yes please, more shady garden info 😉

30. dunken27 on August 3, 2022 at 12:57 am

Im a Londoner..with a cockney accent. Just a heads up really, *erbs is how we say it.

31. Alvin McManus on August 3, 2022 at 12:58 am

A big Valley Oak lays down some good shade.

32. Jason Harrington on August 3, 2022 at 1:00 am

Great speaking style and organisation of your sub-topics!

33. Laura Truth Seeker on August 3, 2022 at 1:01 am

I just had you I’m my feed and decided to watch you. I’m impressed. I know a lot about landscaping, took 2 year classes years ago for my own yard hobby only. Now I’m into veggie herb gardening and wanting some fruit tress for our front yard along the 4’ hi aluminum fence. Could you look into what grows well in North Carolina south east of Raleigh? We have pretty fertile dark rich soil in our yard. The best is closer to the house in front and all of the back, but along the fence is not bad either, just not as loose and dark, some pebble in it at times, but we have evergreens that are thriving, only lost one out of 9 different varieties. I’m having trouble with my roses in the front flower ends now. I’ve lost 1 yellow, 1 coral peach, 1 pink, 1 red all knock out roses and I have lost one medium carnation pink rose that I received the great great grandchild from the original from, I had 7, now I only have 3 left of these. I got the original roses from my beloved Aunt in 1994. They are so fragrant and get very big if you let them. I would live more info on fruit bearing trees and shrubs for this area please? We have 1 blueberry Bush out of 2 that has survived 2 years, it is not producing much. We have not fertilized, not sure if we need to, but the plant itself is hardy, but kind of small still. Still learning. I’m good with most of our trees, plantings,perennials and shrubs, bulbs, but not sure about the blueberry busy on what to do. It’s at least healthy.

34. TheLazylonewolf on August 3, 2022 at 1:02 am

"12 Perfect Vegetables To Grow in a Shady Garden Space"
    Chapter 1: KEVIN
    😆

35. Upcame Hill on August 3, 2022 at 1:02 am

If you are late planting green onions, you can get a quick crop by buying them in the grocery store and cut off the green leaves and plant the white bulb area.

36. Robin WC on August 3, 2022 at 1:03 am

Does anyone know if beets grow well in the shade?

37. Karen Crawford on August 3, 2022 at 1:04 am

From California originally, but have lived in England for 45 years. Appreciate the advice. Sunshine is not plentiful here

38. Lisa Ash on August 3, 2022 at 1:05 am

You are my go to man for this stuff. Been gardening for four years and every question I have, you can always answer it! Thank you! And thank you for pronouncing the "H"! 😉

39. MissyMessika on August 3, 2022 at 1:05 am

Endive = "on" "deev"

40. Carlean R on August 3, 2022 at 1:07 am

“Cultivated” that like button! By the way, your smile is beautiful 🤩

41. Almost there on August 3, 2022 at 1:07 am

Love endive! sounds like the 2 words – end dive

42. carolinasv525 on August 3, 2022 at 1:08 am

Hey, what does it mean for cilantro to bolt? Btw- Great content!! And it’s awesome to see people’s enthusiasm in the comments, as well as sharing of their lives and experiences. I just spent my evening potting up a few veggies and watching gardening videos and my heart feels so full! 🥰♥️👩🏽‍🌾

43. Tonya Williamson on August 3, 2022 at 1:10 am

What do you use to keep spider mites away I’m having problems with those there eating my potato leaves?

44. tdog on August 3, 2022 at 1:10 am

This is my first time growing them so I don’t have much to compare to, but my brussle sprouts are doing really well in my shady section with around 4 hours of sun.

45. Harriett Pavon Rosado on August 3, 2022 at 1:11 am

Nice🪴🌱

46. Texs K on August 3, 2022 at 1:11 am

Awesome scoop! Thanks Kevin! 🙌🏻🤩

47. A McMillan on August 3, 2022 at 1:12 am

Is there a list of ideas of containers that can be repurposed as pots for crops?

48. M D on August 3, 2022 at 1:15 am

YOU HAVE REALLY NICE TEETH !!!

49. Alvin McManus on August 3, 2022 at 1:15 am

Oregon Spring tomato is what I’m trying right now. Seedling just popped up. We’ll see…

50. Unnamed on August 3, 2022 at 1:16 am

I have a 4×12 bed that I put up against my house so that I could give some of my tomatoes a break from 100 degree heat in the summer. Its working well for them so far, but this spot will barely get any direct sun in winter and I’m really not sure what to plant there. I can grow through winter in my climate but everything does grow best in the sun during that time. What would you grow in an almost total shade area in a zone with mild winters?